Treasure Hunter
5694 posts

Re: Old Fat PS3 still working flawless to date...

Feb 21, 2014
Wish my old phat lasted. I had to pay a small business to reflow solder connection points on 2 occasions.

Decided to upgrade to the slim and have had no problems in the last 3+ years, minus the software\firmware issues we all experience.

I sold the phat online, with full disclosure and repair paperwork. The buyer was a happy modder and I was more confident wirh the slim.

The ambient noise dropped as well. Never realized how loud the phat was until I went slim.

The phat is a pretty console case. Shame it had to go.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
With few exceptions, true suppression, repression and oppression is often fueled by fear, not by logic or reasonable morality
Message 21 of 27 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
130 posts

Feb 21, 2014

Yeah, the slim PS3 barely makes any noise which is good if you have kids or just dont like loud  things. The fans on my ps3 im sure over heat sometimes cuz i leave it on till I fall asleep. good thing that PS3 has automatic shutoff lol but sometimes that doesnt even work so it stays on all night. Im surprised it's lasted this long. The only console that has lasted me this long is my Super Nintendo I got as a kid, I still have it and works fine. The gray plastic on it turned yellow from age, but it still works.

I went through so many PS2's and PS1's, I couldved bought a car with that money. (Systems were expensive back then)

Message 22 of 27 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2510 posts

Feb 21, 2014
My original phat PS3 caught a fatal dose of YLOD last year after 6 years faithful service. I've also got a slim which is going strong 4 years in, and my PS4 is looking good after 3 months (fingers crossed!)
Dolphins Against Shark Week
Message 23 of 27 (72 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Feb 21, 2014

Haha same here, I've had my PS3 since about 2009 and I've never had a single problem with it, it's definitely a trooper because countless night I've fallen asleep while watching Netflix leaving it left on all night. 

Message 24 of 27 (70 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
803 posts

Feb 21, 2014

Random:

I took my phat apart last month to clean it for the firs time ever, which was gross, but I never noticed that the top was clear-ish. Suprised me actually, always thought it was black. 

All Star Superman
A vita supporter in a crowd of haters. Links >>>
Twitter // Work // Instagram // Nerd Blog // Last.FM // PS MVP T&C // FFXIVarr
Message 25 of 27 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
882 posts

Feb 21, 2014

i opened my ps3 a couple months ago it was literally covered in dust lol ever since then it has been a trooper what with all of the hcountless hours i have played it 

Message 26 of 27 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5738 posts

Feb 21, 2014
The only reason I added fans to mine was to prevent it from heating up not cuz it was heating up. Oh yeah and a 500gig hard drive.
Message 27 of 27 (60 Views)
0 Likes