MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: Occasional Lack of Moderation.

Nov 21, 2012

DrGadget wrote:

ne1atall wrote:
I know this can be subject to abuse but I believe the benefits vastly outweigh the potential drawbacks. I believe the community at large wouldn't falsely report just for the fun of it and neither would they like to be subject to the nonsense or vileness that went on.

Tee hee!

I can think of a few users who would go to great lengths to game such a system.  It would be nearly impossible to track them doing this too.

1. Create a private forum called www.abuse.report.abuse.com.

2. Get enough evil members to trip the auto-suspend feature here.

3. Post a list on "target" users on the private forum, with a link to the PSU user who is being targeted.

4. Make sure to list that target user's typical posting habits, so you can suspend him just as he's logging on for the day.

5. The evil people log in every day to the abuse.report.abuse forum, follow the suggested links, and jump up and down on the report abuse button.

6. PSU user is routinely locked out, at the most awkward times.

7. Evil users laugh at all the trouble they cause.

All valid possibilities. The thing is the lock I suggested was temporary until the mods had a chance to review. This would include the reports. If those were found to be invalid action could be taken against the reporters. Seems like a lot of trouble to temporarily inconvience someone.

Message 21 of 26 (104 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Nov 21, 2012

I agree with Original_SE, a mini-mod with the ability to hide the posts seems like a really good idea. My idea isn't nearly as good, but perhaps give some sort of flood detection for certain keywords in titles or the first post in new threads.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Message 22 of 26 (101 Views)
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Nov 22, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

I don't know if any of you noticed how bad the PSASBR forums got mainly due to one individual with their vulgar, gross, and harassing trolling attempts. They blatantly admitted they were trolling and got away with making multiple vile threads for far too long.

The ND forum is not very different from that, there should be a mod for each and every part of the forums, no?

Message 23 of 26 (92 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Nov 22, 2012

renatabls wrote:

ne1atall wrote:

I don't know if any of you noticed how bad the PSASBR forums got mainly due to one individual with their vulgar, gross, and harassing trolling attempts. They blatantly admitted they were trolling and got away with making multiple vile threads for far too long.

The ND forum is not very different from that, there should be a mod for each and every part of the forums, no?

Absolutely. This wasn't a suggestion for the PSASBR forums only. It was for all forums. They could have just as easily been posting in the LBP forums. That's my concern.

Message 24 of 26 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36571 posts

Nov 22, 2012

The real problem here is that Sony won't approve volunteer mods.  If we had an extra 10-15 volunteer mods, problems would be tackled 24/7.  Bogus threads wouldn't survive for hours.  They would be zapped within seconds.

The PSCF (PlayStation Community Forums) is just too big a place for 5-6 mods to patrol.  There are too many users, too many boards, and too much activity.

The cost/benefit ratio in favor of volunteer mods shouldn't be that hard to sell.  You pay next to nothing and get a team of dedicated users to keep the forum clean with minimal supervision.   This method works at nearly every other online forum that has ever existed.  The PSCF is just plain too large to moderate without volunteers.

Message 25 of 26 (72 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
24784 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Another weekend another day full of Spam. This time it was the Home forums and just annoying not particularly offensive. I hope they do something soon.

Message 26 of 26 (53 Views)
0 Likes