MVP Support
24785 posts

Re: Occasional Lack of Moderation.

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2012

No moblesuit75 you didn't find them. They have all been deleted. If it was like the Prom dresses poster I wouldn't have made this thread. That kind of thing happens occasionally and is harmless. You'd have to see these posts to believe them. I don't want to blacklist and call the person out by name. I'm sure they've been banned by now. The problem is like CircleBoi6 said. They can make another account and continue. But can they really? With my solution yes but after a Moderator had a chance to review the complaints? I don't know. If they know which browser I logged on with last and what my IP address was can't they block that permanently somehow? I'm not that tech savvy but I think if they wanted to they could.

Message 11 of 26 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5700 posts

Nov 19, 2012

If you ever feel the moderators are not doing a good enough job you can simply PM them or one of the MVPs and we can lend a hand. If there is questionable material you can click on the "Report Inappropriate Content" button at the lower left of ever single post. Mods respond swiftly to any of these reported threads.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Message 12 of 26 (177 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Nov 19, 2012

Thanks I know about the reporting options and have used them all but like I said when they are creating more and more faster than they can be reported and there is a long delay in them being removed there is a problem. I think a temporary block on them posting is a reasonable solution until a Moderator can make a more binding decision. Did anyone look at my possible solution or  are you assuming I'm just complaining about posts?

Message 13 of 26 (175 Views)
VP of Gaming
34135 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

This isn't to run down the moderators. I know they can't be everywhere at once. However there are times when they are conspicuously missing and people seem to wait to take advantage of this.

I don't know if any of you noticed how bad the PSASBR forums got mainly due to one individual with their vulgar, gross, and harassing trolling attempts. They blatantly admitted they were trolling and got away with making multiple vile threads for far too long.

What I propose as a possible solution is some system where if a person is reported by a certain number of different members, meaning completely different not same people on duplicate account, in a certain amount of time they are temporarily suspended from making more posts until such time as the reports can be reviewed.

I know this can be subject to abuse but I believe the benefits vastly outweigh the potential drawbacks. I believe the community at large wouldn't falsely report just for the fun of it and neither would they like to be subject to the nonsense or vileness that went on.

So, anyone have any thoughts? Hopefully a Moderator or two can reply.

that would easily be abused by trolls.

they could just falsely report a user and get them suspended until a mod sees whats going on. and at certain times that can be bad, because mods arent here 24/7.

imo, heavily trafficed forums should have their own mods, or at least "mini-mods" who can hide posts and topics until an actual mod can deal with them.

like i said, mods arent here 24/7, so any help is good.

Message 14 of 26 (160 Views)
MVP Support
24785 posts

Nov 19, 2012

I know I said that was a potential drawback but I feel the benefit outweighs the negative. Yours is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Opinions on my solution and possible better ones that wouldn't be easily manipulated. It would take a lot of effort and multiple accounts for one person to falsely temporarily block someones account.

Message 15 of 26 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7248 posts

Nov 19, 2012
If you get rid of that signature I will support this idea.
energy
Message 16 of 26 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
4213 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Hey everyone,

Thank you for the feedback and concern. We are working on some solutions that will help avoid the types of situations described above. As for Thanksgiving break, moderators will be checking the forums regularly, so please report any issues as usual and we will look into them as soon as we can.  Again, thank you for your input and keeping the conversation constructive.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

AeroVayne

Message 17 of 26 (102 Views)
MVP Support
24785 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Thanks for replying. I think if something like this is instituted on weekends and holidays it would be greatly beneficial. If it's put in place without a formal announcement to the forums at large it would greatly reduce the risk of abuse..............Either way as I stated earlier I think the benefits outweigh the risk for abuse.

Message 18 of 26 (98 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Nov 21, 2012

I love seeing progress.  It is certainly refreshing.

Moble

Message 19 of 26 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Nov 21, 2012

ne1atall wrote:
I know this can be subject to abuse but I believe the benefits vastly outweigh the potential drawbacks. I believe the community at large wouldn't falsely report just for the fun of it and neither would they like to be subject to the nonsense or vileness that went on.

Tee hee!

I can think of a few users who would go to great lengths to game such a system.  It would be nearly impossible to track them doing this too.

1. Create a private forum called www.abuse.report.abuse.com.

2. Get enough evil members to trip the auto-suspend feature here.

3. Post a list on "target" users on the private forum, with a link to the PSU user who is being targeted.

4. Make sure to list that target user's typical posting habits, so you can suspend him just as he's logging on for the day.

5. The evil people log in every day to the abuse.report.abuse forum, follow the suggested links, and jump up and down on the report abuse button.

6. PSU user is routinely locked out, at the most awkward times.

7. Evil users laugh at all the trouble they cause.

Message 20 of 26 (82 Views)
0 Likes