Highlighted
Jan 17 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Nvidia's handheld to compete with Nintendo

11 replies 126 views Edited Jan 17, 2013

On January 7, 2013 - 10 days ago, Nvidia announced Project Shield at CES 2013 (the Consumer Electronics Show).  A handheld console.  That marketplace is currently taken up 95% by Nintendo.  This aught to be interesting.  Some features are:

1. An extremely potent GPU - the Tegra 4.  The world's best.
  2. The ability to download games from your PC onto the mobile
  3. The ability to power 1080p displays directly from the mobile
  4. The ability to stream games playing on your computer to your mobile, via wireless networking

Nvidia ALMOST has a clear winner.  Not quite though.  Still - this aught to be interesting.  No way that Nintendo's 3DS can compete with its Tegra 4-powered graphics.  Consumers will certainly choose it over 3DS, given its PC functionality.

Message 1 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Re: Nvidia's handheld to compete with Nintendo

Jan 18, 2013

I have zero interest in this device. I own a 3DS and a Vita. I prefer my Vita over the 3DS. So far there is nothing about the Nvidia device that is remotely interesting to me.

Message 2 of 12 (105 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31181 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

On January 7, 2013 - 10 days ago, Nvidia announced Project Shield at CES 2013 (the Consumer Electronics Show).  A handheld console.  That marketplace is currently taken up 95% by Nintendo.  This aught to be interesting.  Some features are:

1. An extremely potent GPU - the Tegra 4.  The world's best.
  2. The ability to download games from your PC onto the mobile
  3. The ability to power 1080p displays directly from the mobile
  4. The ability to stream games playing on your computer to your mobile, via wireless networking

Nvidia ALMOST has a clear winner.  Not quite though.  Still - this aught to be interesting.  No way that Nintendo's 3DS can compete with its Tegra 4-powered graphics.  Consumers will certainly choose it over 3DS, given its PC functionality.

Yes because the consumer ALWAYS chooses whatever has the best technology........ *Rolls eyes*

Message 3 of 12 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Jan 18, 2013
I'm agreeing with the group here lol.

Just because it is powerful doesn't mean everyone will buy it. Not knocking it though; it looks sweet.
Message 4 of 12 (97 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Jan 18, 2013

oh, you talking about that PC Android handheld shown at CES that no one cared about?

yeah, that things going to flop just like every other non-Nintendo or Sony handheld.

Message 5 of 12 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 18, 2013

This Project Shield will obliterate the 3DS.  It's at least 100 times more powerful!  It has a 720p display, on the 5" screen.  Ha.  Nintendo may want to make a back-up plan, launch another, better handheld console. 

Message 6 of 12 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Jan 18, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

This Project Shield will obliterate the 3DS.  It's at least 100 times more powerful!  It has a 720p display, on the 5" screen.  Ha.  Nintendo may want to make a back-up plan, launch another, better handheld console. 

The Vita is far more powerful than the 3DS yet the 3DS outsells the Vita on a regular basis. "Project Shield's" power means nothing if there are no games for it, no support for it. If it's only going to have the Android ios styled app games then it will sell well with the casual crowd but not with "core" gamers.

I'll keep my money for real gaming. Project Shield has too much to prove before it piques my interest. Just my opinion mind you.

Message 7 of 12 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

I guess it's impossible to tell for sure which one of us is correct.  We won't have to wait long - I expect Project Shield to launch this year.  PS Vita does not have PC compatibility.  Project Shield does.  That makes the critical difference.  You can play games from your computer, stream them, to Project Shield. 

Message 8 of 12 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15344 posts

Jan 18, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

I guess it's impossible to tell for sure which one of us is correct.  We won't have to wait long - I expect Project Shield to launch this year.  PS Vita does not have PC compatibility.  Project Shield does.  That makes the critical difference.  You can play games from your computer, stream them, to Project Shield. 

But hark! The venerable and incontrovertible JonathanCarabalo, unshakable in his convictions, doubts the mighty hand of Sony?

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 9 of 12 (71 Views)
Last Guardian
11299 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

I don't game on the PC so that really doesn't impact me in the slightest. In your opinion it's a critical difference. In my opinion it's totally irrelevant. In truth only time will tell whether it does well or not. Personally I doubt it. But that's me.

Message 10 of 12 (65 Views)
0 Likes