Wastelander
809 posts

Re: Nuclear Power?

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

Nuclear power is not clean and safe, it is not the answer to Earth's energy needs.

Look at what's happening in Japan at the moment.

My gaming history - NES, PS1, PS2, GBA SP, NDS, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Message 21 of 50 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Sep 7, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

Nuclear power is not clean and safe, it is not the answer to Earth's energy needs.

Look at what's happenning in Japan at the moment.

Lol

Have you read any of the thread?

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 22 of 50 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15343 posts

Sep 7, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

Look at what's happenning in Japan at the moment.

Why do you believe it isn't clean or safe. And don't provide a rare accident as if it proved some sort of rule. I can easily apply that argument to almost anything. "Kissing is not clean and safe, it is not the answer to intimate physical contact. Look at meningitis."

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 23 of 50 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

Sep 7, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

cross12095 wrote:

Lol

I'm well aware of being able to reuse nuclear waste, but that doesn't make it that much better than fossil fuels as an alternative. Coal plants have become cleaner and more efficient over the past decade, should that mean we should build more of them? I was just trying to say that I don't believe in nuclear energy and never will. What we need to do is invest more in wind/solar energy, the sun holds the key for the world's growing energy needs.

Message 24 of 50 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

cross12095 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

cross12095 wrote:

Lol

I'm well aware of being able to reuse nuclear waste, but that doesn't make it that much better than fossil fuels as an alternative. Coal plants have become cleaner and more efficient over the past decade, should that mean we should build more of them? I was just trying to say that I don't believe in nuclear energy and never will. What we need to do is invest more in wind/solar energy, the sun holds the key for the world's growing energy needs.

Are you not aware of the waste produced in the creation of a single solar panel? If solar replaced fossil fuels in this "utopia" you describe... we'd have 10X more waste than if Nuclear engery took it's place.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 25 of 50 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
809 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

cross12095 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

cross12095 wrote:

Lol

Are you not aware of the waste produced in the creation of a single solar panel? If solar replaced fossil fuels in this "utopia" you describe... we'd have 10X more waste than if Nuclear engery took it's place.

Oh so it's more efficient and environmentally friendly to build a nuclear power plant than a solar panel? Sure solar energy is not the answer now because they are not efficient enough to capture all the energy the sun releases, but that's why we need to invest more in it than we currently are. Besides you could put solar panels almost anywhere unlike nuclear power plants. 

Message 26 of 50 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Sep 7, 2013

I feel like you have this image of a factory glowing green, and spewing radiation all over the place...

Nuclear power plants put off steam...and...that's it.

Yes, one powerplant for a large city would be much better for the environment and more practical then retrofitting millions of homes with solar panels...or creating a couple massive ones.

You still haven't really stated a reason why you don't like them.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 27 of 50 (58 Views)
Wastelander
809 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

I feel like you have this image of a factory glowing green, and spewing radiation all over the place...

Nuclear power plants put off steam...and...that's it.

Yes, one powerplant for a large city would be much better for the environment and more practical then retrofitting millions of homes with solar panels...or creating a couple massive ones.

You still haven't really stated a reason why you don't like them.

I know how a nucluer power plant looks like, in fact there's one less than 20 miles from where I live across the river. Also there's a reason why it's in front of a river, nuclear power plants require huge amounts of water. What do you suggest for areas around the world that don't have the necessary amount of water for a nuclear power plant? And again I ask you, are you seeing what's happening in Japan at the moment?

Browns_ferry_NPP.jpg

Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant in Athens, AL

Message 28 of 50 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2013

The whole "Look as this accident" argument doesnt really hold water at all...That's like saying we should never move forward because of what could happen. By that logic you should be completely opposed to cars...look at the deaths that causes...whoa. I bet you walk and bike everywhere right? Oh no? hmmm, odd.

Outside of chernobyl (shotty design mixed with human error) and a plant built where it could get hit by a hurricane (human error, again) I don't see a problem. 

As has been stated, France has been doing this for a while, and they aren't melting down every ten years causing mass casualties, they are just fine actually.

As far as the plants getting water? Well...we have the technology to get water to them. That's not really an issue. And even if we couldnt pipe the water to it, if a few powerplants were placed in low risk areas near lakes and rives and lakes...they could power  most of the country.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 29 of 50 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Sep 7, 2013
#Chernobyl
Message 30 of 50 (44 Views)
0 Likes