Sep 06 2013
By: bob-maul PlayStation MVP 14296 posts

Nuclear Power?

49 replies 146 views Edited Sep 6, 2013

I want to get your opinions on countries switching to nuclear power. I am personally fine with it. It produces a ton of power, it is clean, it is renewable, and it has been proven to work very well. 

The only concerns I ever hear are to do with the nuclear waste and the possibilty of a meltdown. 

Both have been taken on, though. The safety is not nearly as big of an issue as people think. Oil disasters and the coal industry cause a lot more deaths and harm. And those are not clean resources. The technology is also a lot better. There are tons of nuclear plants worldwide and only a few have caused any problems. The problematic ones also tended to be outdated to begin with. 

Also, a lot of the waste can be reused. We also have huge areas (which have been closing from going unused) that could store the remaining waste.

Thoughts? 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 1 of 50 (146 Views)
Fender Bender
3576 posts

Re: Nuclear Power?

Sep 6, 2013

Nuclear power is good, what concerns me is the waste which remains dangerous for a long time but since (I think) we have plenty/enough space to store it where it will not contaminate any water, or damage any ecosystem it's fine, for right now. I still support the notion of researching/improving ways of creating energy with minimal impact.

Message 2 of 50 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Sep 6, 2013

Its great.....until it kills everyone within a 20 mile radius instantly, within 100 miles within a few months, and causes birth defects in other countries

#chernobyl

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 3 of 50 (130 Views)
Fender Bender
3576 posts

Sep 6, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Its great.....until it kills everyone within a 20 mile radius instantly, within 100 miles within a few months, and causes birth defects in other countries

#chernobyl

Hermits = future bth_tough_love.gifSmiley Tongue

Message 4 of 50 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15158 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 6, 2013

I'm all for nuclear power. Countries like France have seen the light (bad pun) and have adopted nuclear power as their primary means of producing electricity. From what I understand the problem people in the US have with nuclear power is the NIMBY effect of their placement, the issue of meltdowns, and a general distrust and misunderstanding of nuclear power itself. Waste is a problem we have yet to tackle; simply burying it doesn't solve much. I think we'll come up with something. At least before it's economically feasible to dump it on the Moon; then our descendants will wonder why we're such idiots when they decide to terraform it.

Setz, nuclear power plants don't explode like nuclear weapons.

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Message 5 of 50 (115 Views)
PlayStation MVP
19278 posts

Sep 6, 2013
Nuclear power can be a good thing and really shouldn't be feared just because it uses the word "nuclear", which may give a negative connotation. It can be an effective way to make power and does not pollute like burning coal or other fossil fuels does.

However, you do need to watch out for the nuclear waste and possible reactor meltdowns. You'd need to find a way to deal with the waste that is created and the reactors would need to be under constant watch to make sure they don't malfunction.

If a way to avoid both of these problems can be utilized, nuclear power is very welcome.
Message 6 of 50 (106 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2358 posts

Sep 6, 2013
Nuclear power is fine, those that decide where they put the waste and where to place the power plants just need to be smart. They need to place plants away from populated areas and places where natural disasters are a direct danger.
mvpbluesigTheJLC.jpg
Message 7 of 50 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Sep 6, 2013
I did a year long research project on nuclear weapons, fallouts, and nuclear power. Terrorist attacks on nuclear reacotrs would not work, reactors are built to survive airplane crashes. Public radiation hazard? Not really (unless there is a incident) eating a banana will give you more radiation then living next to a reactor for a year. Waste is the main issue, which we have trouble with disposing it, we currently put it in nuclear military bases, which are aimed for that. Overall the pros outweigh the cons.
Platinum Trophies: Saints Row: The Third, Assassins Creed II, Sleeping Dogs
What I'm working on: Metro Last Light
Message 8 of 50 (95 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14296 posts

Sep 6, 2013

I thought this would be more controversial among us! I know France runs almost exclusively on nuclear and they have not had a problem. And a meltdown is containable and does not mean explosion. Chernobyl was old tech and was not under safe conditions. 

I think the main problem with nuclear is the "not in my back yard" mentality. 

And a lot of the waste can be reused in the process. The rest can be stored securely in places with a lot of empty and dry space (I know Nevada has storage facilities).

Message 9 of 50 (90 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14296 posts

Sep 6, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
Nuclear power can be a good thing and really shouldn't be feared just because it uses the word "nuclear", which may give a negative connotation. It can be an effective way to make power and does not pollute like burning coal or other fossil fuels does.

However, you do need to watch out for the nuclear waste and possible reactor meltdowns. You'd need to find a way to deal with the waste that is created and the reactors would need to be under constant watch to make sure they don't malfunction.

If a way to avoid both of these problems can be utilized, nuclear power is very welcome.

Exactly. Luckily these problems have been dealt with in other neations quite effectively. We just need to update our facilities and keep them under a lot of watch. We have tons of space to store waste that has nobody living near it. 

Message 10 of 50 (87 Views)
0 Likes