Reply
Nov 21 2006
By: TheNewJackyl~ Fender Bender 3404 posts
Offline

NoobQ-Make these 2 PCs talk.....

5 replies 3 views Edited Nov 21, 2006
IS it possible to run another PC off mine, w/o installing a HDD in the second machine?  Both have network cards, and I also have an SMC (non wireless) router.
 
I am runnin Windows 2000 PRo off the main PC.
 
I am "networking" dumb.
 
I can sacrfice my 3rd HDD for the 2nd PC if needed, but its my "pirating" HDD. 
 
If I installed Win2000 on the 2nd PC< tips on how to make them talk?
 
Links to a good website for networking for dummies?
Message 1 of 6 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/23/2006
Offline
7692 posts
 

Re: NoobQ-Make these 2 PCs talk.....

Nov 21, 2006


TheNewJackyl wrote:
IS it possible to run another PC off mine, w/o installing a HDD in the second machine?  Both have network cards, and I also have an SMC (non wireless) router.
 
I am runnin Windows 2000 PRo off the main PC.
 
I am "networking" dumb.
 
I can sacrfice my 3rd HDD for the 2nd PC if needed, but its my "pirating" HDD. 
 
If I installed Win2000 on the 2nd PC< tips on how to make them talk?
 
Links to a good website for networking for dummies?


idk you're talking gibberish to me (i don't know alot about computers) sry.
XBL Gamertag: AAABattery Syphon Filter LS: kishou
¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸ ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø„¸ Legend ¸„ø¤º°¨
¸„ø¤º°¨ Bob Marley ``°º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º ``°º¤ø„¸ ¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„
Tyrone Biggums: "That's impossible Ronda, how can you sleep if you high on crack? Chinese riddle for you."
Message 2 of 6 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 03/25/2005
Offline
18648 posts
 

Re: NoobQ-Make these 2 PCs talk.....

Nov 21, 2006
No you cannot, you need a hard drive and OS in each computer, what do you plan to do?
Message 3 of 6 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/31/2005
Offline
3404 posts
 

Re: NoobQ-Make these 2 PCs talk.....

Nov 21, 2006


aznsniper911 wrote:
No you cannot, you need a hard drive and OS in each computer, what do you plan to do?


The HDD is very small, and will only hold the OS, and IE.  Which is what its for.  Jsut an email browsing machine, but I want to link the 2 PCs so maybe the 2nd could run games off the main one, and like anti-spyware, virus stuff.
 
Is this possible?
 
aznsniper911, btw, u always got great PC advice!
Message 4 of 6 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 03/25/2005
Offline
18648 posts
 

Re: NoobQ-Make these 2 PCs talk.....

Nov 21, 2006


TheNewJackyl wrote:


aznsniper911 wrote:
No you cannot, you need a hard drive and OS in each computer, what do you plan to do?


The HDD is very small, and will only hold the OS, and IE.  Which is what its for.  Jsut an email browsing machine, but I want to link the 2 PCs so maybe the 2nd could run games off the main one, and like anti-spyware, virus stuff.
 
Is this possible?


No you still need a hard drive and OS in it, assuming that you have a router you can setup a home network and then put the programs in the My Network Places folder and allow the other computer to open it up and see it but the last time I have try this, it was quite terrible since it was slow.
Message 5 of 6 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/31/2005
Offline
3404 posts
 

Re: NoobQ-Make these 2 PCs talk.....

Nov 22, 2006
I wasn't sure if I could do it through the router, or if I needed to use the "coxial" type looking hookup on the network cards.
Message 6 of 6 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes