Shinra Executive
42129 posts

Re: Nintendo's successor to the wii

Apr 16, 2011

I think the reason they'd go with something to match the other 2 HD consoles (and PC) is because they've lost out big time with the Wii in regards to 3rd parties.  Yes, they got 'shovelware' from them but they missed out on some pretty big titles (they have the other RE games but lack RE5 for instance).  Doing it now since Sony and MS are looking to hold out a few more years?  I kind of think it's a bit late and then when the other 2 do get ready to announce their next gen consoles, Nintendo may be back in a similar position depending on what those 2 do with theirs.

Plus, they just released the 3DS.  Can they balance 3DS appeal and Wii2/HD appeal?  What about from their own 1st parties?  They'd have to find a balance.

Meh, Nintendo lost me with the N64 so whatever they do doesn't really tickle my fancy.

Message 11 of 18 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Apr 16, 2011

Phantom.. Don't turn this into a platform argument. If you don't have anything to say solely about Nintendo, then please stop replying.

Message 12 of 18 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21008 posts

Apr 16, 2011

I'm intriguied.

I don't want to get into a console debate (this is better than that, or thats rubbish and "dis is da king") or whatever.    just from statistics PS3 is definately the most sophisticated, and is my personal favorite of the bunch.

That said all 3 bring their own unique flavor, and regardless of whatever hate it may or may not recieve on this forum, Nintendo games and systems are always special to me, even the Wii.  (I have one but had to leave it behind in Canada).

I really loved some of the games that I had for the system such as RE4 (Wii), and the RE rail shooters, Zelda etc.

The Wii's biggest problem wasnt that it wasn't as advanced as the other consoles so much as it didn't get very many GOOD 3rd party games.   Most (not all, but many) 3rd party games for the Wii are simply rubbish shovelware games.

Yeah, HD is nice, but, certainly at the beginning of this generation, and I'd argue even still, its not the be-all/end-all aspect of gaming.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm still completely fine with PS2 games and those graphics, and "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" for N64 still looks really impressive IMO.   So while I was dissapointed the Wii wasn't all HD, it really wasn't the end of the world, due to the unique experience of 1st party Nintendo games.  (still would have been nice if there were more GOOD 3rd party titles)

As for the next big Nintendo system, i'm interested, and hopefully Nintendo keeps there own unique flavor, hopefully they can keep appealing to the new crowd they attracted, as well as getting gamers more interested again.  (of course the key to that would be a greater number of good 3rd party titles)  (IMO)

Message 13 of 18 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42129 posts

Apr 16, 2011

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm still completely fine with PS2 games and those graphics, and "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" for N64 still looks really impressive IMO.   So while I was dissapointed the Wii wasn't all HD, it really wasn't the end of the world, due to the unique experience of 1st party Nintendo games.  (still would have been nice if there were more GOOD 3rd party titles)

As for the next big Nintendo system, i'm interested, and hopefully Nintendo keeps there own unique flavor, hopefully they can keep appealing to the new crowd they attracted, as well as getting gamers more interested again.  (of course the key to that would be a greater number of good 3rd party titles)  (IMO)

The 3rd parties...yeah.  I've mentioned it before but one of the things I hate about this gen is how a lot of titles (majority) are multiplatform.  That kills the diversity that we've seen over the other gens.  Throwing Nintendo into the bunch now, that's 4 platforms sharing a 'bulk' of their titles.  Obviously, 3 of those 4 can pump out some exclusives/1st party stuff on their own at a somewhat steady rate but then we run into the current route of exclusive DLC which is just butchering the game between platforms and then you're throwing another platform on the fire for trying to create parity for a game with multiple versions.

There is also the issue of 'budgets'.  Going into next gen, isn't that just going to increase?  Some developers want this gen to last, others (some of the PC centric ones) are harping about moving on (multiplatform is annoying them in this regard).  Also, I think there was a recent job listing for MS that they were only just hiring for their next-gen architecture.  They released the Kinect to really draw out this gen for them and they're also supposed to be redoing their discs a bit so they can squeeze another GB of data on them (removing some of the security data that takes up space and limits the devs).  Sony is currently focused on NGP and PS3 so I don't know if they're too willing to jump into the next-gen just yet either (what would be the end result of building on/tweaking the PS3 design by putting a better BR drive in, an upgraded/tweaked CELL, a better GPU and ~1GB of RAM into the PS4)?

Message 14 of 18 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 16, 2011

Ahhh okay my bad! I don't want to come off as a fanboy but I'm just saying that Nintendo will never win me over...I used to own a wii and a DSi, but I got fed up with the terrible third party support, the terrible graphics, the not so good or fun controls, the extreme lack of features...I'm just saying that I don't like Nintendo, I used to, but I don't think I ever will again.

Thats all.

Message 15 of 18 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19026 posts

Apr 17, 2011

I've tried the wii before using the controls for one of their golf games. I never got anywhere with it and quit liking the console from that point on. My parents recommended the wii early on due to the fact that I loved playing the Dance Dance Revolution games. I refused to get a wii.

One of my friends has one, and has been trying to get me to play the wii again. For as long as the wii has been around, there has been nothing out there that has been up my alley in terms of games and gameplay. The games that I enjoy the most are racing games. The last good games that I have played on a nintendo console were Automobili Lamborghni and the San Francisco Rush games which were both for the N64.

I just don't see anything worth getting excited over with the wii successor yet. Unless I hear what they have to offer in terms of graphics and games; I will only take this with a grain of salt.

I'm still questioning whether the 3DS really is a 3D technology handheld or if it's just a 2D screen made to fool people into thinking that the 3DS really has 3D technology without the use of 3D glasses.

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 16 of 18 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3161 posts

Apr 19, 2011

I really could care less, and not because of any fanboyism. I lost a lot of respect for Nintendo with the Gamecube, I felt they made a lot of stupid mistakes with that system, and didn't put as much effort into it as their previous consoles, and the Wii only solidified my thoughts that Nintendo no longer cared about the people that originally put them where they are. If this is true(which it seems like it is) that's great, and I hope Nintendo's hardcore fans can enjoy it. However, I think it at this point, this is just a quick cash grab for Nintendo, they are trying to appeal to those hardcore fanboys who have been screaming for some better software(a lot of nintendo fanboys often complain when something is PS3/360 only) so I see Nintendo trying to use this new system to get a few of those games on their console to satisfy those last few stragglers who refuse to purchase something other than a Nintendo console. It'll be interesting to see, though personally I think it's too little too late for Nintendo as far as AAA 3rd party software this Gen.

Message 17 of 18 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 19, 2011

fullmetalcrusade wrote:

I really could care less, and not because of any fanboyism. I lost a lot of respect for Nintendo with the Gamecube, I felt they made a lot of stupid mistakes with that system, and didn't put as much effort into it as their previous consoles, and the Wii only solidified my thoughts that Nintendo no longer cared about the people that originally put them where they are. If this is true(which it seems like it is) that's great, and I hope Nintendo's hardcore fans can enjoy it. However, I think it at this point, this is just a quick cash grab for Nintendo, they are trying to appeal to those hardcore fanboys who have been screaming for some better software(a lot of nintendo fanboys often complain when something is PS3/360 only) so I see Nintendo trying to use this new system to get a few of those games on their console to satisfy those last few stragglers who refuse to purchase something other than a Nintendo console. It'll be interesting to see, though personally I think it's too little too late for Nintendo as far as AAA 3rd party software this Gen.

You mean to say "I couldn't care less"

I also lost all my respect with Nintendo. Especially with the Wii, and how they handled the DS, and 3DS.

I used to be a Nintendo fanboy and a bit of a 360 fanboy, but now I am a Sony gamer. People always call me a Sony fanboy because I usually talk negative about Microsoft and Nintendo. I owned a wii and 360, they are ****. I know out of experience.

I have no doubt lost all my respect for Microsoft when it comes down to video games and systems, I love there computers.

I love me some old Nintendo, and the characters are sweet, but they have made tons of stupid decisions that have made me loose respect for them.

Sony all the way

Message 18 of 18 (9 Views)
0 Likes