Fender Bender
2599 posts

Re: New York's Stop and Frisk Law

Aug 28, 2013
I`m also againsed it, considering some idiotic jumpy police officers might shoot on sight. There is a teen in Canada last month who was gunned down, AFTER HE SURRENDERED HIS GUN! The idiot officer waited till he dropped the gun, then laid into him with tons of bullets. Kid died too. Look up "City Bus Teen Killed" in canada.
Message 21 of 22 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Re: New York's Stop and Frisk Law

Aug 28, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

What are your opinions on New York's Stop and Frisk law? Its in the news a lot right now and I have a very strong opinion on the program but also am seeing a lot of arguments in the other direction that do make a lot of sense.

What is stop and frisk? http://definitions.uslegal.com/s/stop-and-frisk/

I am very against this type of law. In my opinion it directly violates the 4th amendment of the United States which states "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

To me how someone looks or dresses is not probably cause. Now if you think you see a gun or some weapon or something like that sure, but just because someone "looks suspicious" does not give the police cause or justification to search you. I understand the program works as follows:  There is an area with high crime, the police then flood that area with a police presence, they observe and if they see anything suspicious they then ask you a few questions, then if they think you are still suspicious after that they search you.

A lot of proponents of this law point to the real impacts of it in NY City, murders are down from ~2000/year to ~500/year. I can't argue against these facts, they are real, and they do give me cause to question my opinion and stance. However I just can't seem to get myself to be willing to give up that liberty in the name of safety.

So what do you ladies and gents think?

This is good to know... Next time I am in NYC, I will be sure NOT TO, secretly bring my 9 with me and pack it under my clothes.

Although I know I am legally not supposed to, or licensed to carry in NYC, I have done it in the past.  Perhaps not the wisest of decisions, but of course I am not one that would whip it out unless it is in a dire situation.

Just the same, mere speculation giving cause to search, makes my decision firm now.  Besides, I always have a knife and a tactical baton as well. Smiley Wink

Moble

Message 22 of 22 (47 Views)
0 Likes