Aug 21 2013
By: PLYMCO_PILGRIM Platinum 55046 posts

New York's Stop and Frisk Law

21 replies 199 views Edited Aug 21, 2013

What are your opinions on New York's Stop and Frisk law? Its in the news a lot right now and I have a very strong opinion on the program but also am seeing a lot of arguments in the other direction that do make a lot of sense.

What is stop and frisk? http://definitions.uslegal.com/s/stop-and-frisk/

I am very against this type of law. In my opinion it directly violates the 4th amendment of the United States which states "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

To me how someone looks or dresses is not probably cause. Now if you think you see a gun or some weapon or something like that sure, but just because someone "looks suspicious" does not give the police cause or justification to search you. I understand the program works as follows:  There is an area with high crime, the police then flood that area with a police presence, they observe and if they see anything suspicious they then ask you a few questions, then if they think you are still suspicious after that they search you.

A lot of proponents of this law point to the real impacts of it in NY City, murders are down from ~2000/year to ~500/year. I can't argue against these facts, they are real, and they do give me cause to question my opinion and stance. However I just can't seem to get myself to be willing to give up that liberty in the name of safety.

So what do you ladies and gents think?

Message 1 of 22 (199 Views)
Wastelander
582 posts

Re: New York's Stop and Frisk Law

Aug 21, 2013

I love my freedom and that is not at all freedom. Smiley Mad

Bilsebob photo Fallout_zps06947524.jpg
Message 2 of 22 (177 Views)
Survivor
2374 posts

Aug 21, 2013
Well almost every state has a version of it, but none as lenient as New York.

Personally I don't like it if it targets people out of the blue. The NYPDs own admission that most people get let off (as they aren't doing anything bad) means that they are targeting the wrong people.

I know that in Chicago they stop and question gangbangers all the time. They sometimes frisk them if they know them or for safety reasons, however, innocent people aren't targeted often.

I can see the benefits of it, but feel that it should only apply perhaps in areas that have a crime problem and with affiliations known to be armed/violent such as gangs or organized crime. The everyday citizen should not be bothered or fear the police stopping them and potentially frisking them.
Message 3 of 22 (175 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 22, 2013

Stop and Frisk seems to be a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment to me as well. It was nice to see a judge rule against it, but I worry what would happen if this case ended up at the Supreme Court. They seem to have an unique take on the Constitution from time to time.

And for those who argue for it in regards to effectiveness, I'll let Benjiman Franklin answer for me:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Edit:

And I also just found this article in regards to it's actual effectiveness, which is an interesting read.

Message 4 of 22 (161 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4664 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 22, 2013

Don't agree with it at all. 

edit: Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.

Message 5 of 22 (149 Views)
VP of Gaming
34135 posts

Aug 22, 2013

depends on who would be frisking me.

reaction-face-MikeTyson-as-Herman-Cain.gif

Message 6 of 22 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1646 posts

Aug 22, 2013

im just going to keep quiet on this subject. If i state how i really feel about cops ill get banned

Message 7 of 22 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Aug 22, 2013

This should be a red flag to anyone who gives a crap about this country.

We are so close to becoming a communist nation it's horrifying more people can't see it.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 8 of 22 (132 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4664 posts

Aug 22, 2013

TheJLC wrote:
Well almost every state has a version of it, but none as lenient as New York.

Personally I don't like it if it targets people out of the blue. The NYPDs own admission that most people get let off (as they aren't doing anything bad) means that they are targeting the wrong people.

I know that in Chicago they stop and question gangbangers all the time. They sometimes frisk them if they know them or for safety reasons, however, innocent people aren't targeted often.

I can see the benefits of it, but feel that it should only apply perhaps in areas that have a crime problem and with affiliations known to be armed/violent such as gangs or organized crime. The everyday citizen should not be bothered or fear the police stopping them and potentially frisking them.

I think that is even a slippery slope, how long after that is allowed till they can just search a house under the "imagine all the bad things we can get off the street if we do" attitude. If you are doing nothing wrong you should not be stopped and searched. 

Message 9 of 22 (125 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
5453 posts

Aug 22, 2013

They do it here in the UK too, I've seen it happen a few times. The cops can stop whoever they like and for whatever reason they see fit. I think it's called a Stop and Search here.

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 10 of 22 (121 Views)