Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Re: New Research on Trolling

Feb 20, 2014

Why does this thread keep making me think of the trolls in the All Star forums?

Anyway, this is interesting research. Yet, like some have said, some people troll just for attention. 

In an old community I used to be in, there was a troll that kept cursing and saying the meanest things to people. And people took it personally to because it was relateable. After trying to calm the troll down, we found out that she was just hurting after an event with her family.

Then again, there are others that just troll for the laughs.

Message 31 of 35 (120 Views)
Survivor
1968 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2014

Once again my point has been missed.  To be expected of course.  I love the "Just Ignore them" +1 posts.

I wanted to post this on the Home forum due to the social aspect of the trolling on Home.  But my point of this post was to let my fellow community out there know that people are working on figuring this trolling out.  I will not no longer use the ignore or block feature because they don't disappear.  If I didn't see them then that would be a better feature so for now I just don't respond and stay where I want to stay, visit the spaces I want and hang out in them even if there is a user that seems to be a troll.

This post was mainly for insight.

-Enistachia

Message 32 of 35 (95 Views)
Wastelander
634 posts

Feb 21, 2014

If you really think about the gravity of the "diagnosis" in the article  it should scare you. This could be the newest generation of serial killers and the such. Btw many serial killers have been given the same label of their state of mind. It starts out small with killing animals or manipulating others to get your devious way. Easily the newest form of this since the huge growth of social media and the internet the past 3 decades. Not a laughing matter. Great find Enistachia! Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 35 (81 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Feb 21, 2014

If you think someone may be goading you into a pointless argument then it's best to practice restraint and just ignore them if you must. No need to over stress yourself.

Message 34 of 35 (77 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12924 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2014

Enistachia wrote:

Once again my point has been missed.  To be expected of course.  I love the "Just Ignore them" +1 posts.

I wanted to post this on the Home forum due to the social aspect of the trolling on Home.  But my point of this post was to let my fellow community out there know that people are working on figuring this trolling out.  I will not no longer use the ignore or block feature because they don't disappear.  If I didn't see them then that would be a better feature so for now I just don't respond and stay where I want to stay, visit the spaces I want and hang out in them even if there is a user that seems to be a troll.

This post was mainly for insight.

-Enistachia

You bring up a good point, Enistachia. The article was basically stating that they've been studying people who exhibit that kind of behavior tend to turn out to be psychopaths, or something similar along those lines. I only use the ignore button, when it gets to the point where things go too far. There's no harm in drawing a line in the sand. I know that they'll still be around, and I won't leave either. 

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 35 of 35 (69 Views)