Jan 05 2007
By: jerseyj~ Monster Hunter 42 posts

New Disc combines blu-ray and HD-DVD-- Format war over???

13 replies 1 views Edited Jan 5, 2007
Looks like Warner Brothers is releasing a new disc called Total HD that will unify Blu-ray and HD-DVD on the same disc.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/ontheradar/0,39050990,61979463,00.htm

Total HD to unify HD-DVD and Blu-ray?
05/01/2007
Studio house Warner Bros is taking matters into its own hands by introducing another new high-def video disc. Dubbed Total HD disc, it is compatible with both Blu-ray and HD-DVD players and poses as a quick fix for the ongoing standoff between the Sony- and Toshiba-led camps. After all, this will enable the studios to release Hollywood blockbusters in high resolution and, most importantly, a unified platform and standard.

The success of this upcoming disc format hangs heavily on the level of acceptance from the major movies studios. With Sony Pictures holding a sizeable stake in the Hollywood industry, chances are the road ahead for Total HD will probably be a long and bumpy one. We will bring you more updates on the technicalities once we get our hands on the announcement from CES 2007.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Industry_Forecasts/Total_HD/Warner_to_Unveil_First_Blu-ray/HD_DVD_Hybrid_Discs_at_CES/413

Warner to Unveil First Blu-ray/HD DVD Hybrid Discs at CES
In a surprise leak of what could well turn out to be the biggest high-def news to come out of this year's CES, The New York Times is reporting that Warner Home Video is set to bring the first Blu-ray/HD DVD hybrid discs to market in 2007.
According to the story, the studio is hoping to both calm consumers' fears over the competing next-gen formats as well as spur high-def hardware sales by creating a Blu-ray/HD DVD hybrid, which the studio is dubbing a "Total HD" disc.
In an exclusive pre-CES interview with the Times, Barry M. Meyer, the chairman and chief executive of Warner Brothers, claims the studio created the idea of Total HD as it became apparent that while neither the Blu-ray or HD DVD formats would be going away anytime soon, continued consumer reluctance to invest in rival technologies could stall the widespread adoption of high-definition.
“The next best thing is to recognize that there will be two formats, and to make that not a negative for the consumer," said Meyer. "We felt that the most significant constituency for us to satisfy was the consumer first, and the retailer second. The retailer wants to sell hardware and doesn't want to be forced into stocking two formats for everything. This is ideal for them."
If Warner is able to sucessfully produce and distribute a dual-format hybrid disc, it would certainly add an unexpected -- and potentially tremendous -- new wrinkle to the high-def format war. A reasonably priced one-disc-fits-all scenario would seem to please everyone, from early adopters to hardware manufacturers to retailers (who no would no longer have to stock both Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of the same title), regardless of which format they support.
A formal announcement from Warner officially unveiling Total HD is now expected sometime during or right after CES. We'll certainly keep you posted as this exciting story continues to develop. Stay tuned!

Message Edited by jerseyj on 01-04-2007 11:45 PM
Message 1 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5873 posts

Re: New Disc combines blu-ray and HD-DVD-- Format war over???

Jan 5, 2007
Man, I hope this next-gen DVD format war can be over right now.  This is the most stupid war ever seen.  Well, actually I can't choose sides because I like Blu-Ray & HD-DVD.  Even my older brother likes them.  If they make the TotalHD disc (that is compatible for both Blu-Ray & HD-DVD players), this will solve the problem.  Good thing I use the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player and my 360 as an HD-DVD player.
Message 2 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
969 posts

Jan 5, 2007
I pray this works out in the end. I mean if the movies can sill be played in the PS3 then I don't see a reason to deny it from coming and it will end the format war once and for all. Also it won't affect people who have already purchased blu-ray players or HD-DVD players so you won't see them complaining in the least. I will support this change 100% as it will be best for everyone.
PS3 60gig owner
Message 3 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31106 posts

Jan 5, 2007

Tony9804 wrote:
I pray this works out in the end. I mean if the movies can sill be played in the PS3 then I don't see a reason to deny it from coming and it will end the format war once and for all. Also it won't affect people who have already purchased blu-ray players or HD-DVD players so you won't see them complaining in the least. I will support this change 100% as it will be best for everyone.

it would be nice, but im just wondering how much it would cost to the consumers for a single disc.
Message 4 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5873 posts

Jan 5, 2007

canadaeh wrote:

Tony9804 wrote:

it would be nice, but im just wondering how much it would cost to the consumers for a single disc.

Let see: a single Blu-Ray movie & a single HD-DVD movie cost about $26 to $30 a pop.  If this TotalHD disc comes in appearance, it would cost a little bit high than the Blu-Ray & HD-DVD.  Somewhere around $35 to $40.
Message 5 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31106 posts

Jan 5, 2007

PS3 Talk wrote:

canadaeh wrote:

Tony9804 wrote:

Let see: a single Blu-Ray movie & a single HD-DVD movie cost about $26 to $30 a pop.  If this TotalHD disc comes in appearance, it would cost a little bit high than the Blu-Ray & HD-DVD.  Somewhere around $35 to $40.

i saw an article on google that it would incorporate bluray, hddvd, and dvd, i dont feel like finding it though. and some bluray movies are already in the $45 range.
Message 6 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jan 5, 2007

canadaeh wrote:

Tony9804 wrote:

I don't think there are details as far as implementation but my guess is that it would be a double sided disc with HD-DVD on one side and Blu-ray on the other. The costs should end up lower than having two separate line making separate discs, separate packaging, separate distribution, tracking, etc. I would think they will sell for the same amount as other discs and keep the extra $$ for their trouble
Message 7 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jan 5, 2007
Do you all think it would be possible for people to make a player that plays both formats... sorta like with CD+ and CD- discs?  I remember that was a big thing with a few companies on each side of the sign spectrum... until everyone started making products that supported both.  Would it be possible for a blue-ray disk and a HD-DVD disc to play in the same products?
PSN: ragion

Message 8 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jan 5, 2007

ragion wrote:
Do you all think it would be possible for people to make a player that plays both formats... sorta like with CD+ and CD- discs?  I remember that was a big thing with a few companies on each side of the sign spectrum... until everyone started making products that supported both.  Would it be possible for a blue-ray disk and a HD-DVD disc to play in the same products?

Yes. Multiple companies are expected to announce players with that type of support at the upcoming CES. Wait a week or so.
Message 9 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14411 posts

Jan 5, 2007
Did some movie studios got headaches from choosing between Blu-ray and HD-DVD?
Message 10 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes