Welcoming Committee
14612 posts

Re: New $100 Bill

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

It still says "In God We Trust." I don't trust in any of the infinite number of Gods that someone could believe in, so that statement on our currency is not accurate.

I always feel a bit sad when someone says this.

I feel sad that people actually believe it is hurting their ability to disbelieve. Or the people who whine about the pledge of allegiance. Just do not say "Under God". Heck, most kids do not even say the pledge in class at my school.

Or when they say it is a constitutional problem. It does not infringe on the establishment clause since it does not make a national religion or infringe on someone's rights. It is a statement that falls under the vast majority of people's viewpoints and is also very historical in that the founding fathers were Christian or Deists (like Jefferson, for example). 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 41 of 54 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Oct 9, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

It still says "In God We Trust." I don't trust in any of the infinite number of Gods that someone could believe in, so that statement on our currency is not accurate.

I feel sad that people actually believe it is hurting their ability to disbelieve. Or the people who whine about the pledge of allegiance. Just do not say "Under God". Heck, most kids do not even say the pledge in class at my school.

Or when they say it is a constitutional problem. It does not infringe on the establishment clause since it does not make a national religion or infringe on someone's rights. It is a statement that falls under the vast majority of people's viewpoints and is also very historical in that the founding fathers were Christian or Deists (like Jefferson, for example). 

You are partially right, of the 7 founding fathers, only John Jay was a christian, the other six were Deists.

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 42 of 54 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14612 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

CradleOfFish wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

You are partially right, of the 7 founding fathers, only John Jay was a christian, the other six were Deists.

John Adams, John Jay, and Hamilton were Christian. John Jay was Episcopalian. Some say Adams became a Unitarian, but it is agreed upon that he was still Christian in every other doctrine not involving the Trinity. And Hamilton was raised Christian and took the faith in a lot more as he aged.  I count three of the seven. 

But this is still relevent to the principles of the nation at the time and the beliefs of these Deists as well. Deism was different in that time and these people often were sort of Christian in their ethics and ideas (some even recognized Jesus in some divine ways). And to say we should only follow the beliefs of our founding fathers is sketchy considering many proponents of this idea are not happy with the idea of slavery or the very wealthy controlling the government. Our nation was built with the elite in mind. The Senate, for example, was one of the most corrupt institutions until the 17th amendment made it by vote and not just state nominations. But the Senate was made that way to ensure the uneducated masses did not control everything and take all the land from the elite.

I think, if the people want "In God We Trust" on our currency, or "Under God" out of the pledge, they should have it voted off. The people either want it or do not care. 

And, if the mere mention of God is so scary to these people, I would love to hear their day-to-day vocabulary and just count how many times they say "Oh my God" or "Jesus Christ". By assuming mere exposure is infringing on their beliefs in the government, I wonder if that applies to how much they say or hear those names.

Message 43 of 54 (93 Views)
Wastelander
666 posts

Oct 9, 2013
I like colors, not saying this looks great but I always liked how other country's currency tends to be more colorful.
Message 44 of 54 (87 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4912 posts

Oct 9, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

I feel sad when people's faith is so fragile that they constantly need to have their beliefs reaffirmed by having religious symbols and quotations everywhere just to keep their faith from disintegrating. And just so you know, the original pledge of allegiance didn't have the words "under God" in it. It was added in later in 1954 when the Knights of Columbus took advantage of everyone's fear of communism during that time and they claimed that it would help weed out communists because communists would never say "under God." I also wish that people like you would stop trying to rewrite history. Some of the founding fathers were religious and some of them weren't but they were secularists above all and they strongly believed in a separation of church and state. It's so funny how Christians act like they're some oppressed minority whenever they don't get their own way 100% of the time.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 45 of 54 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4912 posts

Oct 9, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

Why does that make you sad?

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 46 of 54 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14612 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

I feel sad when people's faith is so fragile that they constantly need to have their beliefs reaffirmed by having religious symbols and quotations everywhere just to keep their faith from disintegrating. And just so you know, the original pledge of allegiance didn't have the words "under God" in it. It was added in later in 1954 when the Knights of Columbus took advantage of everyone's fear of communism during that time and they claimed that it would help weed out communists because communists would never say "under God." I also wish that people like you would stop trying to rewrite history. Some of the founding fathers were religious and some of them weren't but they were secularists above all and they strongly believed in a separation of church and state. It's so funny how Christians act like they're some oppressed minority whenever they don't get their own way 100% of the time.

I love this type of mindset. It is one that is huge among the New Atheist movement like Dawkins or Sam Harris. The original constitution had slavery in it.. That obviously is a terrible argument for slavery as a modern institution since our government got rid of it. Just because the founding fathers liked slavery (as friendly elite Virginian plantation owners) does not mean slavery is ok. . How our nation works is simple: If the people want it and it does not infrige on someone's rights, it is fine. 

The founding fathers put words like "Creator" and "inalienable rights" and then you say there is no religious context in the time period? Where do you get inalienable rights if God does not exist in some form? I am sure that the randomly caused universe made sure to factor into itself that every man has a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (and since you like to give irrelevent history lessons, Jonhn Locke's version was life, liberty, and "property") They believed in separation of church and sate which is exactly why the establishment clause says: there shall be no national religion. How does the word "God" establish a religion? It doesn't. Especially since most world religions today have a monotheistic God. Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Sikhism, Mormonism,  etc. Even Hinduism has Brahma above the rest. Which God is it? As you said, they were Christian and Deist? Is it the God of Christianity which interacts with the world around us? Or is it the God in Deism who created it all and leaves us be? If it said "One Nation Under Christ", we would have an issue. But it establishes no religion and does not infringe on your right to disbelieve.

Who is trying to rewrite history? The guy who is using the primary source found in the establishment clause of our constitution? Or the guy who wants to erase the religious background of the United States? And the founding fathers were all about separation of church and state? I bet you would love to back the racial claims of them too. We should not care what they believed (and you seem to think they believed in the modern idea of separation of church and state which is not even remotely true). We should care about what they put down for our government in the Constitution. People like you are such pushers of secularism to the point where you want to be rid of anything to do with the WORD "God". I can understand if you do not want to swear by the Bible in court, but is the money going to somehow make you religious? Does the pledhe anger you somehow? Jehovah's Witnesses do not say the pledge. Why can you not just exempt those words? People do not want to get rid of "under God", so why get rid of it when it does not infringe on your universe-given rights?

And we Christians are the ones who are so fragile? You are worried about a phrase that has no intrinsic meaning on our currency. Am I putting out a message that says I am persecuted? No. I am saying that you are trying to erase something that does not infringe on any rights in a democratic nation that wants the phrases. They are not religious statements. They are statements based on our nation's history and thought of the time. If people want "In God We Trust" on our currency, then why stop it? It does not infringe on the Constitutional rights you have. It is a phrase on paper that no one cares to stop. You seem to care because it somehow atacks Atheism. 

And why push such extreme secularist ideas? I thought Atheism was just the disbelief in God? Why is it such an issue to you? Just do not go to church and enjoy your Sundays. No need to use those extra Sundays to go and badmouth those at church.

Message 47 of 54 (75 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3905 posts

Oct 9, 2013

I want silver and gold to come back paper is worthless.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 48 of 54 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Oct 9, 2013

It's sad that a lot of people still think Ben Franklin was a president XD

KZMProductionsGT
Message 49 of 54 (55 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Oct 9, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

Kratos doesnt need your trust!

Message 50 of 54 (47 Views)
0 Likes