Highlighted
Dec 12 2006
By: JapS2438~ Fender Bender 3748 posts

Need some help for preperation for the English I Final Exam tommorow.

8 replies 2 views Edited Dec 12, 2006
I don't know if there are any links that can actually help you just take some practice tests and such for English I Pre-AP, but does anybody know any? I would like to study for my exam tommorow and I would like to be confident about taking the test tommorow. My teacher didn't really gave us anything to study on, so I was wondering if anybody had any good links.

Message 1 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1470 posts

Re: Need some help for preperation for the English I Final Exam tommorow.

Dec 12, 2006
What in specific have you covered in the term?  The class should be geared toward helping you with the exam.  What novels etc. did you do?
-Theron
Message 2 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Dec 12, 2006

Theron wrote:
What in specific have you covered in the term?  The class should be geared toward helping you with the exam.  What novels etc. did you do?

A bunch so far. The Giver, Our Town, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, The Pearl, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Time Machine, The Diary of Anne Frank, and A Christmas Carol. Smiley SurprisedSmiley Sad

Message 3 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1470 posts

Dec 12, 2006
Allright this is all based on my experience - yours might be different, but likely they're pretty much the same.  At any rate reviewing the links will only help you anyway.

I know when I did mine it was based on university readings/ things I'd never encountered before.  A lot of it the titles and authors weren't even given - just the excerpts.  I had to do multiple choice questions about the readings - and the painful part is they took an extra mark off for wrong answers, so guessing was a bad idea.  There were also some short answer questions and two essay questions.  All about readings I hadn't done before.
So my suggestion is to look into reviewing literary terms and grammar mechanics because these will help you discuss the works.
This is a really good dictionary of literary terms: http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_A.html  If you're unsure of any of the big ones like hyperbole, metaphor, etc.
Some ideas on ways to approach texts: http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/documents/Ways_To_Literature.pdf  May help you get your head around angles for writing answers.
A good guide of essay mistakes to avoid: http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/documents/Common_Problems_102.pdf  Being aware of these will significantly strengthen your writing.  They want to see that you can think, not that they can spew back memorized information.
The links provided are all the same site, maintained by an English prof at Carson-Newman College, so you can be sure everything is correct.  Take a look around the site if you're inclined - he has a lot of other useful links.

You'll prolly do better than you think - I thought I was screwed but I got 4/5 on the mark scale.

Hope this helps.
-Theron
Message 4 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Dec 12, 2006
Thanks alot bro! I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15503 posts

Dec 12, 2006
Since you've already read through the books, I'd say go on sparknotes, and read up on some of the books you've read. Brush up on ones you don't remember so clearly. See what the writers are sparknotes had to say about the book.

And also, why are you having exams early? We have them after break. First week of January.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 6 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1470 posts

Dec 12, 2006
AP exams are to get advanced credit in university courses and done seperately from the end of term exams.
-Theron
Message 7 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7280 posts

Dec 12, 2006
Highschool? Eh?
Signature removed by Admin due to advertising of a commercial nature.
Message 8 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Dec 12, 2006

Str8 Jacket wrote: Since you've already read through the books, I'd say go on sparknotes, and read up on some of the books you've read. Brush up on ones you don't remember so clearly. See what the writers are sparknotes had to say about the book. And also, why are you having exams early? We have them after break. First week of January.

Well, we're done with the Fall Semester so we'll be taking final exams for every class. 25% of our semester grade. Smiley SurprisedSmiley Sad

Message Edited by JapS2438 on 12-11-2006 09:42 PM

Message 9 of 9 (2 Views)
0 Likes