Feb 06 2013
By: Gojet-64 Gaming Beast 2197 posts

My opinion on Windows 8: A grim future of the PC

2 replies 97 views Edited Feb 6, 2013

I made a post a while back in Off-Topic, asking for input on whether or not to get Windows 8. In the end I decided to partition my hard drive. So now I have both Windows 7 and 8. This gave me a risk-free way to test out Windows 8.

Initially, I didn't like Windows 8. I was hesitant to buy it. Although, it has grown on me a little. Overall, I still don't like it.

The first problem comes when you start it up. Because my PC has 2 operation systems on it, the BIOS should normally ask me which operating system I want to start up. However, Windows 8 takes priority when starting up. Then, within Windows 8, it asks me if I want to run Windows 8 or Windows 7.

This doesn't sound like much of a problem. Until you realize that, if I want to start Windows 7 (Which I still use most of the time), the computer will have to restart again, then boot Windows 7. That is very inconvenient, if you ask me.

My second big concern is the Windows Store. You cannot get programs from any other source. This idea of a "Universal Store" is one of the main reasons I disliked Apple. And here's Microsoft jumping in the bandwagon as well.

Granted, this approach is safer. Downloading a virus from a program is highly unlikely now. However, Microsoft dictates (to some degree) the price of apps. And if it's a free app, Microsoft will slap in some Bing ads for you.

And now we come to the big problem. The UI (User Interface). Yes, I know there is the "traditional" desktop, which is pretty much the same as it is in Windows 7, except it omits the Start Menu (In favor of the Start Screen). However, that is not what I'm concerned about. I'll be discussing the "Metro" layout.

First of all, there are no more windows. What I mean by that is, you can only have up to 2 apps running on-screen. You cannot have several windows all open at once anymore. This is good for making Windows run faster, but it kind of defeats the meaning of the name Windows. It's like if NASA made a Mars Rover, but it only works on the Moon.

Microsoft themselves admitted that Windows 8 was designed for devices with touchscreens, due to the rising popularity of smartphones and tablets. Although Windows 8 is somewhat useable with a keyboard & mouse (which is what I'm using) it makes me think of the future of Windows.

What I fear, is that Windows 9 (Or hopefully it will have a better name than that) is going to be an all-touch interface. The keyboard & mouse we knew so well will probably be obsolete in a decade or so, maybe sooner. For example, virtually no one uses floppy disks anymore. PC's don't even come with floppy drives anymore. The floppy disk gave way to the CD.

It's probably going to be the same story with the keyboard & mouse. I'm fearing that we'll have to wave goodbye to the keyboard & mouse interface, in order to make way for the touchscreen & onscreen-keyboard interface.

My fantasy theory, however, would be for Microsoft to branch-off with two versions of Windows. One branch will develop touchscreen operating systems. While the other branch develops keyboard & mouse operating systems. Again, just a fantasy theory. Probably won't happen.

Of course, it isn't all bad news. Maybe I'll get Linux from now on.

end rant

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 1 of 3 (97 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15344 posts

Re: My opinion on Windows 8: A grim future of the PC

Feb 6, 2013

Gojet-64 wrote:

I made a post a while back in Off-Topic, asking for input on whether or not to get Windows 8. In the end I decided to partition my hard drive. So now I have both Windows 7 and 8. This gave me a risk-free way to test out Windows 8.

Initially, I didn't like Windows 8. I was hesitant to buy it. Although, it has grown on me a little. Overall, I still don't like it.

The first problem comes when you start it up. Because my PC has 2 operation systems on it, the BIOS should normally ask me which operating system I want to start up. However, Windows 8 takes priority when starting up. Then, within Windows 8, it asks me if I want to run Windows 8 or Windows 7.

This doesn't sound like much of a problem. Until you realize that, if I want to start Windows 7 (Which I still use most of the time), the computer will have to restart again, then boot Windows 7. That is very inconvenient, if you ask me.

That can be changed.

My second big concern is the Windows Store. You cannot get programs from any other source. This idea of a "Universal Store" is one of the main reasons I disliked Apple. And here's Microsoft jumping in the bandwagon as well. False. What you're describing is Windows RT which only comes on tablets not full fledged PC's. You can run any desktop application in Windows 8.

Granted, this approach is safer. Downloading a virus from a program is highly unlikely now. However, Microsoft dictates (to some degree) the price of apps. And if it's a free app, Microsoft will slap in some Bing ads for you.

And now we come to the big problem. The UI (User Interface). Yes, I know there is the "traditional" desktop, which is pretty much the same as it is in Windows 7, except it omits the Start Menu (In favor of the Start Screen). However, that is not what I'm concerned about. I'll be discussing the "Metro" layout.

It was removed because no one was using the start menu. They were launching programs from the taskbar. The start screen offers much more convienience. 

First of all, there are no more windows. What I mean by that is, you can only have up to 2 apps running on-screen. You cannot have several windows all open at once anymore. This is good for making Windows run faster, but it kind of defeats the meaning of the name Windows. It's like if NASA made a Mars Rover, but it only works on the Moon.

False. Where are you getting this from? You can only have two metro apps on the screen at any time. In the desktop enviorment on both Windows RT and Windows 8 you can have multiple windows open, which low and behold, still exist.

Microsoft themselves admitted that Windows 8 was designed for devices with touchscreens, due to the rising popularity of smartphones and tablets. Although Windows 8 is somewhat useable with a keyboard & mouse (which is what I'm using) it makes me think of the future of Windows.

No one spends so much time on the start menu on Windows 7 that they need to starte endlessly at the start screen in Windows 8. You can go straight to the desktop enviornment and stay there. No need for metro apps, you're not forced to use them.

What I fear, is that Windows 9 (Or hopefully it will have a better name than that) is going to be an all-touch interface. The keyboard & mouse we knew so well will probably be obsolete in a decade or so, maybe sooner. For example, virtually no one uses floppy disks anymore. PC's don't even come with floppy drives anymore. The floppy disk gave way to the CD.

A floppy disk is not a HID and therefor does not fit the analogy. Does anyone use VHS anymore? No, we have DVD's and Blu-Rays. Yet either way we still use a remote. 

It's probably going to be the same story with the keyboard & mouse. I'm fearing that we'll have to wave goodbye to the keyboard & mouse interface, in order to make way for the touchscreen & onscreen-keyboard interface.

See above. 

My fantasy theory, however, would be for Microsoft to branch-off with two versions of Windows. One branch will develop touchscreen operating systems. While the other branch develops keyboard & mouse operating systems. Again, just a fantasy theory. Probably won't happen.

Of course, it isn't all bad news. Maybe I'll get Linux from now on.

end rant

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 2 of 3 (83 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Re: My opinion on Windows 8: A grim future of the PC

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2013

I think It's just like how Microsoft "killed" the command line and MS-DOS:

1. MS-DOS was popular.
  2. Introduce Windows 1.0, a GUI Front-End for DOS. (1985)
  3. Continue supporting DOS side by side by releasing Windows versions that run on top of DOS. (Win95, 98)
  4. Finally, when everyone's weaned off the command prompt and MS-DOS, they got rid of it and based everything on NT. (2000, XP, Vista, 7)

I'd imagine Windows 8 is going like this:

1. Windows 7 was popular (traditional KB/Mouse)
  2. Introduce Windows 8 that is geared towards touchscreens, but have KB/M support in the background.
  3. Slowly wean people off the traditional Windows interface like how people are weaned off DOS over time.
  4. Introduce OS that has little to no KB/M controls.

Just throwing some speculation. Nothing more.

Message 3 of 3 (78 Views)
0 Likes