Highlighted
Aug 25 2013
By: Gamefreak_09 Uncharted Territory 1996 posts
Accepted Solution

My guess on why we say "I'm sorry"

[ Edited ]
18 replies 133 views Edited Aug 25, 2013

Now come on folks, ever thought about what "I'm sorry" means? i believe it just means we admit we are filled with sorrow. we don't say why, we don't say how much. (sorrow is sadness)

since this is said so indirectly towards why, but direct to who you are telling (you often stand before them, blah blah blah) you are assumed to be saying you regret what you did or what happened.

But... why do they say "its okay" or "i forgive you"? its because we expect them to notice the main point that we regret the result of whatever happened. Part of this would be.... pity and they say "i forgive you" to make you feel better? Now, Now i am saying from a reasoning standpoint. i am ignoring culture and other biases that can influence this. I am sticking to concepts here. 

ANYWAY My assumption is WAYYYY back then people used to say "I am sorry this happened. It is my fault and i realized that. I apologize and I hope you feel this damage isn't permanent" blah blah blah blah

point is WHAT IF back then there was SOME kind of long line like that.

some people have a lot of pride, don't like admiting they are wrong, and also don't like to feel like they are begging. Could be humility too.

My guess is over generations, people slowly abandoned the whole "i apologize, i regret what happened. please forgive me so i can repent and learn from my mistakes" to shorten it little by little. 

Eventually "I'm sorry" was good enough, had a general cultural meaning. and BLAMO. "I'm Sorry" now means to apologize, means you regret what happened, and you admit to everything that happened could have been avoided, blah blah blah.

pretty weird huh.. 

thought about this a while back.. any thoughts?

(ps. regret can be very small or obviously big. think about if, as a kid, you kicked someone's shin and your mother tells you to say sorry. immediately you may feel like now this is time you will never get back, or i should not have to or whatever. either you regret selfishly or selflessly.)

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 1 of 19 (133 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Re: My guess on why we say "I'm sorry"

Aug 25, 2013

Just say GG instead of sorry. Smiley Tongue

Your boss asks why you are late for work, and you reply with GG. He/She will be so confused he/she won't know how to yell at you. Smiley LOL

FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 2 of 19 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1996 posts

Aug 25, 2013
nah man, he or she will just yell "NOOB!"

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 3 of 19 (117 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Aug 25, 2013

"I am sorry" has become a way to get out of trouble. It loses meaning when we are school children. We hurt someone's feelings and we may not even feel guilty. Yet our parents tell us to say it. We just use it as a way to not get in trouble a lot of times. "I am sorry for losing the sale" is not meant to convey "I feel bad for you and the company because of my blunder," it means "Oh God, please do not fire me." 

Apologies lost their meaning a long time ago. Why? Because they are meaningless when their usage is all about getting out of trouble.

This is not to say that real apologies do not exist. They DEFINITELY do. They just lose their imapact from an overexposure to the phrase. 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 4 of 19 (116 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Aug 25, 2013

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

I would be all like. 1337 h4ck5 N008 go respawn.

Smiley LOL

FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 5 of 19 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Aug 25, 2013

I say "I'm sorry" because I feel bad about something that happened to someone.

Message 6 of 19 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1996 posts

Aug 25, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

"I am sorry" has become a way to get out of trouble. It loses meaning when we are school children. We hurt someone's feelings and we may not even feel guilty. Yet our parents tell us to say it. We just use it as a way to not get in trouble a lot of times. "I am sorry for losing the sale" is not meant to convey "I feel bad for you and the company because of my blunder," it means "Oh God, please do not fire me." 

Apologies lost their meaning a long time ago. Why? Because they are meaningless when their usage is all about getting out of trouble.

This is not to say that real apologies do not exist. They DEFINITELY do. They just lose their imapact from an overexposure to the phrase. 

true, but the thing is you don't ask for forgiveness by your boss. you tell him you don't want it to hapen again. if you demand or ask something (forgiveness) in a time when hes mad at you, its going to make things worse. so i think boss and employeewise we SHOULD say "im sorry" lol

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 7 of 19 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1996 posts

Aug 25, 2013

FiveFourteen wrote:

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

I would be all like. 1337 h4ck5 N008 go respawn.

Smiley LOL

nah then he would fire you and once you exit the room he will say to himself "like a bah-ohs" ( like a boss but with ow insteadof aw)

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 8 of 19 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1996 posts

Aug 25, 2013

userusb wrote:

I say "I'm sorry" because I feel bad about something that happened to someone.

cool! sounds like you got that right. unless you use it for everything?

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 9 of 19 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Aug 25, 2013
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Smiley Tongue

No I don't use it for everything.
Message 10 of 19 (92 Views)
0 Likes