Apr 11 2013
By: Mystic_Gon Wastelander 680 posts

Microsoft shares take a hit

19 replies 350 views Edited Apr 11, 2013
Main reason... PC. But with PC sales declining at a brisk rate and most of their attempts to branch out falling flat Misrosoft needs to find a new golden egg. People still use Office and Microsoft is looking to expand it with 365. Xbox still rakes in billions a year but the console gaming market is shrinking. One wrong step with the next gen Xbox can see to it that their whole entertainment division goes belly up. Skype is popular and has the potential to grow, but into what exactly is anyone's guess.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not preaching doom and gloom for Microsoft. To put things into perspective going by market capital Microsoft can buy most companies, including Sony, on its profit margin alone. But that doesn't mean a thing ten years down the road if the markets they dominate now are declining and it can't break into growing markets.

Sony which was also put in a similar position thanks to the diminishing TV and digital camera markets has found it's golden egg. Sony has embraced mobile full time and has been rewarded as a result.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Sales-Odin-Smartphones,19004.html

With SCE wanting to put PlayStation Mobile on every Xperia phone there is a ton of potential to expand another one of its businesses. Old-fashioned Sony is no longer.
Message 1 of 20 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Microsoft shares take a hit

Apr 12, 2013

Mystic_Gon wrote:To put things into perspective going by market capital Microsoft can buy most companies, including Sony, on its profit margin alone. 

Actually, Not.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 20 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Apr 12, 2013
I was implying Microsoft made enough money, after taxes, to buy most companies outright. Which it did. But profit margin =/= overall money made. I wasn't using the phrase correctly, sorry.

MSFT 2012 net income = $17b
SNE market cap today = $17b
Message 3 of 20 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Apr 12, 2013

microsoft...has been around for so long, and windows is the primary OS for SOOOOO many businesses...I cant bring myself to care one inkling about this thread.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 4 of 20 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Apr 12, 2013
So you'd rather just be rude then. Well thank you for that.
Message 5 of 20 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
37258 posts

Apr 12, 2013

Don't blame it on PC's.  PC sales are bad because nobody likes Win 8.  Micosoft has a nasty habit of messing up every other OS it releases.

Windows 1 - Crap

Windows 3 - Good

Windows 95 - Good

Windows 98 - Meh

Windows NT/2000 - Good

Windows ME - Crap

Windows XP - Good

Windows Vista - Crap

Windows 7 - Good

Windows 8 - Crap

Early on, people learned to skip OS's when they were crap.  Everyone I know who had any choice in the matter held onto XP for a long time and skipped Vista to get 7.  People are holding onto 7 now and will skip 8 to get 9.  Under the general ssumtion that Micosoft will reactivate their "oh no they hate us again and we need to put out a good OS this time" team.

If Win 9 is crap, Microsoft will be hurting for cash.  They can't afford two bungles in a row.  Nobody likes Win 8.  It's goofy.  It might make sense on a cell phone, but then it faces real competition from better products.  It only makes sense on a desktop/laptop, and there it is a spectacular failure.

No Start button?  Really?  Couldn't you just make it optional?  You know, have a "Classic View"?  Translation: A "set it back the way it was before you randomly changed it to utter nonsense" view.

MS is well known for pushing change for the sake of change.  MS Office and that stupid "ribbon".  Whose brilliant idea was this?  Just put it back the way it was.  Herp Derp, MS.  Herp.  Derp.

Message 6 of 20 (284 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7121 posts

Apr 12, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

Don't blame it on PC's.  PC sales are bad because nobody likes Win 8.  Micosoft has a nasty habit of messing up every other OS it releases.

Windows 1 - Crap

Windows 3 - Good

Windows 95 - Good

Windows 98 - Meh

Windows NT/2000 - Good

Windows ME - Crap

Windows XP - Good

Windows Vista - Crap

Windows 7 - Good

Windows 8 - Crap

Early on, people learned to skip OS's when they were crap.  Everyone I know who had any choice in the matter held onto XP for a long time and skipped Vista to get 7.  People are holding onto 7 now and will skip 8 to get 9.  Under the general ssumtion that Micosoft will reactivate their "oh no they hate us again and we need to put out a good OS this time" team.

If Win 9 is crap, Microsoft will be hurting for cash.  They can't afford two bungles in a row.  Nobody likes Win 8.  It's goofy.  It might make sense on a cell phone, but then it faces real competition from better products.  It only makes sense on a desktop/laptop, and there it is a spectacular failure.

No Start button?  Really?  Couldn't you just make it optional?  You know, have a "Classic View"?  Translation: A "set it back the way it was before you randomly changed it to utter nonsense" view.

MS is well known for pushing change for the sake of change.  MS Office and that stupid "ribbon".  Whose brilliant idea was this?  Just put it back the way it was.  Herp Derp, MS.  Herp.  Derp.

true/..  there rumors of ms being  obsolete by  2016-17.. This very scary time or them.. I woulndt  want to  working over on  ms gaming

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 7 of 20 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Apr 12, 2013

win8's biggest problem is it was designed for tablets and phones...and instead of making a different OS for PCs...they simply ported it over...lazy lazy.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 8 of 20 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Apr 12, 2013
I don't think a bad OS is the only reason to blame the dip in sales. Especially with emerging markets seeing booms.
Message 9 of 20 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
37258 posts

Apr 12, 2013

Mystic_Gon wrote:
I don't think a bad OS is the only reason to blame the dip in sales. Especially with emerging markets seeing booms.

Lenovo is the only PC manufacturer experiencing growth.

Message 10 of 20 (95 Views)
0 Likes