First Son
9 posts

Re: Massive video game industry lay-offs

Feb 3, 2013
I actually wrote a very game design document for a Vita title, it would bring elements of real-time strategy gameplay and tower defense together in a twin-stick-shooter package and it sounded glorious. One of the settings was a kinda Western-fantasy setting with archers, mages and warriors, but the one I gravitated more toward was the one set on a space colony, with the main characters playing as a militia trying to protect the space colony from some opposing force like aliens. Of course I'd wanna pitch the project directly to Sony because the title would *have* to be Vita-exclusive and most publishers aren't too keen on throwing much support at the system, and when I was doing some casual browsing I saw that Sony totally published a series called Colony Wars. In that instant, my eyes lit up.

I'm hoping to save up at least a hundred thousand dollars over a period of a year or so working hardcore overtime at an IT job and running a local business building quality computers for locals, living cheaply with my friend Josh as a roommate. I'm only 20, but gawd do I need to make my game designs come to life.
Message 11 of 15 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42127 posts

Feb 3, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

We also lost zipper 2 years ago and LightBox interactive just a few months ago

Studio Liverpool (Wipeout, Colony Wars) and BigBig (Little Deviants, Pursuit Force) too I think.  I really wish Liverpool would have gotten to make a new Colony Wars =\

doesnt Sony own the rights to Wipeout though? im sure they could make more if they wanted to, doesnt seem like a very complicated game to do.

Yeah, Sony owns all the IPs mentioned above but I guess part of the concern is having a 'new' team handling it when it was the other studio/team's work. 

Message 12 of 15 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42127 posts

Feb 3, 2013
I've never understood the idea of releasing some of the lower 'tier' games next to the massive titles. You want your game to succeed and you toss it out in the Holidays with all the other big names and you do little to no marketing for it and then wonder why it didn't get noticed. Then, if other publishers move their titles to Q1 to avoid bigger titles, they just end up stacking up again with all the other titles that are doing the same + titles scheduled to release then in the first place. Why don't more titles release during Summer? You would think some studios could do relatively well launching in June/July @ $30-40 where there are a drought of titles.

Message 13 of 15 (48 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

Speaking of high-tier versus low-tier titles, the 17th of September is looking grim. Killzone is a big franchise, and I'm probably getting both during their opening periods, but Killzone Mercenary is exclusively on a portable format and is now contending against Grand Theft Auto V. Sony better have big plans for the Vita, colossal plans, to get some steam rolling for the handheld or it will be a day of reckoning.

Message 14 of 15 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shinra Executive
42127 posts

Feb 4, 2013

VXBoss wrote:

Speaking of high-tier versus low-tier titles, the 17th of September is looking grim. Killzone is a big franchise, and I'm probably getting both during their opening periods, but Killzone Mercenary is exclusively on a portable format and is now contending against Grand Theft Auto V. Sony better have big plans for the Vita, colossal plans, to get some steam rolling for the handheld or it will be a day of reckoning.

Sony is probably going to include some features for the Vita with the PS4 so they kind of add to one another.  If the rumors of a DS4 with the back touchpad is true, I imagine Sony could do the Wii-U thing and use the Vita as a 2nd screen for the PS4 with touch functions.  However, they still need to pump it up for the Vita which I'm interested in seeing how that's handled with the PS4 looming.  Sony should probably dedicate a team/division for localizations cause JP seems to constantly have titles announced but as with the PSP, there is always that fear for Western fans that titles won't get localized.  I think if Sony handled it/offered it to 3rd parties as an option if they themselves aren't going to do it, it would be a good move.

I think Sony though needs to revive some of their older IPs and if possible, get another studio or 2 to pull a 'Media Molecule' and develop a Vita title (I know people want to see Naughty Dog and Santa Monica work their magic).  Tearaway from Media Molecule is like a 14 person project at that.  It'd be nice if all of Sony's major teams had Vita/Handheld teams but I don't see that happening.  They seem to be content regulating stuff to 2nd parties and some of their other 1st parties (Sony Bend, Cambridge).  Would also like to see Sony copublish some 3rd party IPs (Valkyria Chronicles for instance as I don't think SEGA in their condition will do much) to help them get a footing on the platform and offer up some 1st party expertise to really get their worth out of the investment (this would be a huge undertaking by Sony though to get their own 1st party efforts going and help 3rd parties on the Vita).  I'd like to see a good balance though on the 3rd party front of established/older IPs and a batch of original ones for the Vita as well.

Eh, there is a lot Sony can do different with the Vita to give it a surge but none of us are running the company.

Message 15 of 15 (36 Views)
0 Likes