Dec 07 2012
By: MJB2348765 Fender Bender 3995 posts

Magnitude 7.3 quake hits northeast Japan

[ Edited ]
9 replies 158 views Edited Dec 8, 2012

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/20121207_47.html

A strong earthquake has hit northeastern Japan.

The Meteorological Agency says the 7.3-magnitude quake occurred at 5:18 PM Friday, Japan time.

The quake's focus was 10 kilometers under the seabed off the Sanriku coast. The area was hit by a magnitude-9 quake and tsunami on March 11th last year.

At 6:02 PM(local time), a 1-meter-high tsunami was observed in Ishinomaki City, Miyagi Prefecture.

At 6:10 PM(local time), a 20-centimeter tsunami was observed at Ofunato Port in Iwate Prefecture.

Shortly after 7 PM(local time), the Meteorological Agency lifted all tsunami warnings and advisories for the region.

The quake had an intensity of 5-minus on the Japanese scale of zero to 7 in parts of Aomori, Iwate, Miyagi, Ibaraki and Tochigi prefectures.

Smaller jolts were felt in Tokyo and other areas.

Emergency officials say 10 people have suffered injuries so far in Friday's earthquake that hit eastern Japan.

Five of them are in Miyagi Prefecture, including a 2-year-old boy. They are being treated at hospitals and none of their injuries are life-threatening.

Five others are in Ibaraki, Gunma, Chiba and Tochigi prefectures. The injured are in their 30s to 70s.

Japan's Meteorological Agency says the powerful earthquake that occurred off northeastern Japan on Friday is thought to be an aftershock of the massive quake that hit the region in March of last year.

The Agency says the latest quake took place on the east side of the Japan Trench, where two plates collide and one slides under the other.

Nuclear power plant operators in areas hit by Friday's earthquake say they have received no reports of danger at their facilities.

Tohoku Electric Power Company says all three of the reactors at its Onagawa plant in Miyagi Prefecture were offline before the quake.

The company also says monitoring posts near the plant show no abnormal levels of radiation.

The utility says another nuclear power plant in Aomori Prefecture shows no signs of trouble.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says the quake did not affect its Fukushima Daiichi and Fukushima Daini nuclear plants.

Fukushima Daiichi was severely damaged by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

The utility says it has told nuclear plant workers to move to higher ground or buildings as a tsunami advisory has been issued to Fukushima Prefecture.

The company says radiation levels near the plants have not changed.

Message 1 of 10 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3995 posts

Re: Magnitude 7.3 quake hits northeast Japan

Dec 7, 2012

It werid becaucse I was thinking about earthuqakes and tsunamis yesterday, and now it happend.

Message 2 of 10 (141 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Dec 7, 2012

glad it wasnt as bad as the one last year.

makes me worried about earthquakes out here in SoCal, we havent had one in a long time. *kocks on wood*

Message 3 of 10 (137 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

Dec 7, 2012

I really hate to say this but... mankind's having issues lately. Smiley Indifferent Last year was devastating, this year wasn't much, but still, it really pains to see about another earthquake hitting Japan while they're still recovering from last year's devastation...

photo metakraken_redbull_final_500_zps9ce1f6ed.png

Message 4 of 10 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3995 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 7, 2012

And it werid how the quake hit on the 71st Anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Was this suppose to be a reminder of what Japan did to the U.S during WWll? 

Message 5 of 10 (126 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

Dec 7, 2012

MetaKraken wrote:

I really hate to say this but... mankind's having issues lately. Smiley Indifferent Last year was devastating, this year wasn't much, but still, it really pains to see about another earthquake hitting Japan while they're still recovering from last year's devastation...

Don't tell that to the people on the East Coast that were destroyed by Sandy...

Message 6 of 10 (122 Views)
Fender Bender
3995 posts

Dec 7, 2012

For videos can be found on Youtube. 

Message 7 of 10 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
9462 posts

Dec 7, 2012

Another earthquake hit Japan? I thought this was a old thread talking about last years earthquake in Japan.

158751955584925480_TKs7aT3W_c.jpg

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 8 of 10 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Dec 7, 2012

I think this is probably is a result of the 3-11 earthquake last year. The main fault slipped loose, meaning neighboring faults have room to slip as well. It could technically be considered an aftershock.

I remember hearing "It will be years before Japan's seismic activity finally settles"

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 9 of 10 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3995 posts

Dec 7, 2012

Gojet-64 wrote:

I think this is probably is a result of the 3-11 earthquake last year. The main fault slipped loose, meaning neighboring faults have room to slip as well. It could technically be considered an aftershock.

I remember hearing "It will be years before Japan's seismic activity finally settles"

Yeah it was an afterschok but a very strong one,  luckly there were no reports of any deaths.

Message 10 of 10 (91 Views)
0 Likes