Fender Bender
3501 posts

Re: MODERATION STAFF: How do you prefer our reports?

[ Edited ]
Jan 5, 2014

I keep it brief and to the point. If I see a window for a pun or short gag, I toss it in there.

On the forums I moderate/admin the only thing that aggravates me when it is obvious a grudge that is the source of the report. It is usually very transparent.

Also, know this....

Moderation is not "fun" it is not "easy" and it is not something "anyone can do" the shine of a fancy title wears of VERY quickly when you are in the moderation CP for too long and it is very much a "job" that volunteers should receive kudos for.

Sending in reports than include digs at moderation, or snide remarks inferring that moderation sucks, or is slacking or "I can't believe you guys missed this, what do I have to do it for you" type remarks go beyond disrespectful, they are simply un-classy.

So.... Stay Classy PS Forums.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 21 of 32 (176 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
14289 posts

Jan 5, 2014

DrGadget wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

This is a thread for the moderators and for us to maybe get a little insight into the world of a moderator.

I was personally curious as to what you ladies and gentlemen prefer to see in our reporting, if and when we do report things.   

1. Do you like it short and to the point?

2. Is humor lost/wasted on reporting?

3. Do you prefer when it is worded in a way that shows we know a human is reading the report?

4. Do you prefer links to other related items if they exist?

5. Would you rather a PM message on certain things?

Anything else you guys might want to share with us to help us help you and vise versa?  

Let me start the ball rolling, and tell you what I would like to see in an abuse report.  Any of the current mods feel free to update as required.

1. Yes.  What is the violation?  What in particular is offensive?  Who caused it (if not the person behind the post you reported)? Where should it be moved to?

2. Usually.  People often report "this is the worst ever" or the like.  If you try to be sarcastic when saying it, this can be lost.  It's like the rules of etiquette for emails.  Sarcasm/humor is often lost in translation.  If you include it, mark the places where you use it.  Seriously.  Rule of thumb - if it can cause unneeded confusion, leave it out.

3. Not a factor.  Just point them in the right direction.

4. Definitely.  Anything that shows a progression of events (he's flaming him because of what he said in THIS thread *link*) or a pattern of abuse (he's spammed like this before many times *link* *link* *link* *link*).  However, DO NOT include a link to the post you're reporting.  The forum software does this automatically.  Fill out the abuse report quickly and accurately, and send it off as soon as possible.  If you think of other information later that should have been included, send a second abuse report on the same post, and include the new information.

5. If the mod asks for a PM then use a PM.  But 99.99 percent of the time (or more) it is better to use the Report Abuse feature.  They all queue up where all the mods can see them, and they check often.  That's like the first thing a mod does when loggin on.  Check those abuse reports.  For follow-up, whichever mod handled the incident may PM you for further information.  In that case, respond with a PM back to the moderator.

1. Definitely agree with DrGadget here. I'm a mod with a certain company of the element  variety (element 3)  and I cant attest to this
  2. Eh, don't use sarcasm when you report stuff. It's just more work and doesn't help in my opinion.
  3. Nope, don't care. Just make sure it's written in basic English.
  4. Agreed with DrGadget. If someone is spamming a lot besides that one post, mention it  and say where and we'll go directly to their profile and check their posts.
  5. I generally believe pms are reserved for rule clarification/violations. If you have an issue with a post, just report it so it's logged and noted.  Like DrGadget said, it's easier for all the mods to see and respond and it's faster.

Oh, you guys don't have to make your reports super short. I can't speak for others but I really don't care how long the report is as long as it's full of useful information. I've gotten a whole typed paragraph in a report and it helped decipher what was going on in a thread with 40+ pages. 

Message 22 of 32 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
37625 posts

Jan 5, 2014

SweetPoison13 wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

This is a thread for the moderators and for us to maybe get a little insight into the world of a moderator.

I was personally curious as to what you ladies and gentlemen prefer to see in our reporting, if and when we do report things.   

Do you like it short and to the point?

Is humor lost/wasted on reporting?

Do you prefer when it is worded in a way that shows we know a human is reading the report?

Do you prefer links to other related items if they exist?

Would you rather a PM message on certain things?

Anything else you guys might want to share with us to help us help you and vise versa?  

I was wondering if any moderators would reply to this...

My reports are short and succinct. They don’t contain humor. It is always my hope that moderators make decisions with their heads and not with their hearts. I will include links to other threads if they contain relevant information (or if a merge is necessary). I might send a private message to a moderator if I believe he/she might reply to it and/or if the violation isn't in a thread where "Report Inappropriate Content" is possible. I hope this helps.

Definitely.  If this makes the mod come off as "robotic" then so be it.

Mods don't make the rules.  Admins do.  Mods can't just make up their own rules and enforce them, or lock threads because they don't like them.  If they tried doing this, there would be problems.  Any admin worth his salt would reign in a rogue moderator.

Basically, here are the rules.  1, 2, 3, etc.  If a thread/post/user violates the rules, then the mod must take action to eliminate the problem.  If it's a new problem, then the mod reports it to the admin.  At one time there was no such thing as a Rick Roll.  The first mod who saw that had no rule against it.  After a while, all admins pretty much agreed the Rick Roll was unacceptable.  Now there are rules against it.

The rules are all there for a reason.  At one time or another, some jerk kept spamming so there is now a rule against it.  Most are common, like spamming, flaming, trolling, obscene language, dirty pictures, etc.  When people violate these rules, they might have fun doing it, but the other 99% of the people are not having fun.  It's annoying.  Rule breaking disrupts the normal flow of discussion.

Therefore, mods are not here to kill discussions.  They are here to promote and encourage healthy discussions.  By eliminating the impediments to healthy discussion, the users can discuss more freely and with fewer interruptions from rule breakers who try to kill discussions.

In the abuse report, you are pointing out which user is breaking which rule.  This makes the mod's job simple.  You're not telling him to lock a thread.  The rules are telling him to lock the thread, and by extension the admins who wrote the rules are telling him to lock the thread.  Simple.  Efficient.  Clockwork.

Message 23 of 32 (155 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jan 5, 2014
I'm waiting for Trawnza to comment on this thread.
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 24 of 32 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6100 posts

Jan 5, 2014
Cant report from mobile /end
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 25 of 32 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
56704 posts

Feb 21, 2014

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
I'm waiting for Trawnza to comment on this thread.

Gadget used to be a mod so it was close to getting an answer.  I wonder if on the new forum layout a mod will notice this thread now?

I COULD try to PM one about it but I more was hoping this had got found and received a response organically.

Message 26 of 32 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Feb 21, 2014
A report is a report why would we need to sugercoat it?
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 27 of 32 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Feb 21, 2014
I have never reported someone. And hope I never have to
Message 28 of 32 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2419 posts

Feb 21, 2014

You're assuming im human?

Creep
Message 29 of 32 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Feb 21, 2014
^i am assuming that you are going stay on topic...
Message 30 of 32 (78 Views)
0 Likes