Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Re: MODERATION STAFF: How do you prefer our reports?

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

I like it when a mod types they're locking the thread before they actually lock it.

That's because they're currently locking it, that's the first action most of them take before the actual locking.

BRIT-KO

Actually, no.  You always lock the thread first.  Then they read through and assess the damage.  The thread may be so bad it needs to be deleted, or moved out of the public eye.  Additional appropriate action is taken as needed.  If nothing else is needed, then you make the post "Thread locked due to ..."  Moderators are able to post in locked threads. 

In a few rare cases, someone has reported a perfectly good post for no good reason.  It may be revenge for something that user said in another thread.  It may be jealousy.  It may be boredom.  It doesn't take long for the mod to realize the thread shouldn't have been reported.  In these cases, the mod would unlock the thread.  Back in the old days if I locked an O-T thread and then determined it should be unlocked, I usually made a post in there saying "thread re-opened".  This was my form of bumping it for the right reasons.  While locked, nobody was able to post in the thread, and it may have slipped down to page 2 where it would likely be forgotten.  That wasn't fair to the OP so I fixed it.  Once.  If it slid down to page 2 again after that, oh well.

And yes, mods frown upon people making false abuse reports.  These are willful acts.  And these are VERY rare.  It's far too easy to get caught when you're purposely making false abuse reports to the mods.

So if you're not sure something is a violation, report it.  Err on the side of caution.  Nobody will hold it against you if you say you think something is offensive.  Let a mod make the determination.  It might not be an actionable problem.  But it's better to let the mods know of a potential problem than to keep silent.  Unless you're flagrantly and habitually reporting everything just to cause problems, the mods won't think you're making false abuse reports.  Instead, they will be thankful that you were keeping vigilant.

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

This is a thread for the moderators and for us to maybe get a little insight into the world of a moderator.

I was personally curious as to what you ladies and gentlemen prefer to see in our reporting, if and when we do report things.   

1. Do you like it short and to the point?

2. Is humor lost/wasted on reporting?

3. Do you prefer when it is worded in a way that shows we know a human is reading the report?

4. Do you prefer links to other related items if they exist?

5. Would you rather a PM message on certain things?

Anything else you guys might want to share with us to help us help you and vise versa?  

Let me start the ball rolling, and tell you what I would like to see in an abuse report.  Any of the current mods feel free to update as required.

1. Yes.  What is the violation?  What in particular is offensive?  Who caused it (if not the person behind the post you reported)? Where should it be moved to?

2. Usually.  People often report "this is the worst ever" or the like.  If you try to be sarcastic when saying it, this can be lost.  It's like the rules of etiquette for emails.  Sarcasm/humor is often lost in translation.  If you include it, mark the places where you use it.  Seriously.  Rule of thumb - if it can cause unneeded confusion, leave it out.

3. Not a factor.  Just point them in the right direction.

4. Definitely.  Anything that shows a progression of events (he's flaming him because of what he said in THIS thread *link*) or a pattern of abuse (he's spammed like this before many times *link* *link* *link* *link*).  However, DO NOT include a link to the post you're reporting.  The forum software does this automatically.  Fill out the abuse report quickly and accurately, and send it off as soon as possible.  If you think of other information later that should have been included, send a second abuse report on the same post, and include the new information.

5. If the mod asks for a PM then use a PM.  But 99.99 percent of the time (or more) it is better to use the Report Abuse feature.  They all queue up where all the mods can see them, and they check often.  That's like the first thing a mod does when loggin on.  Check those abuse reports.  For follow-up, whichever mod handled the incident may PM you for further information.  In that case, respond with a PM back to the moderator.

Message 11 of 32 (271 Views)
Survivor
2567 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 1, 2014

I remember some guy gave me attitude and called me an *************, then locked the thread.

Good times.

edit: profanity removed

Message 12 of 32 (262 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13803 posts

Dec 31, 2013

I would simply keep them short and sweet with the reasons why I am reporting inappropriate content. 

Playstation Telephone Hours: Weekdays, Saturday: 6AM - 10PM, PST (Sunday: 8AM - 8PM, PST)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 13 of 32 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Dec 31, 2013

nour321 wrote:
I remember some guy gave me attitude and called me an a-hole, then locked the thread.

Good times.

Prove it.

Message 14 of 32 (255 Views)
Survivor
2567 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 1, 2014

You posted on the same thread on page 2 if I recall correctly.

It was where I kept having those disconnections on live chat, then marked inactive, swore at my vita for taking up wifi. Went on live chat again, same problem with that annoying "Connection lost with cloudsave CX chat (Or whatever it was called). Please wait as we attempt to restore the connection."
"Disconnection in 600 seconds"
"Connection restored"
"Connection lost"
"You have disconnected for inactivity"

*Goes back to live chat*
"I appologize for the inconvenience, but regarding our terms of service that you signed up with, we are unable to process a refund."

"But the games broken and we did the troubleshooting twice"

"I recommend you delete the game so it does not take up space on your memory stick"

"So you can't help me?"

*Jimmies rustled intentionally*
*Makes thread exaggerating my rage*
*Negative replies*
*Locked thread*
*Called edit: profanity removed*
*Jimmies too rustled*
*Quits forum for a few days*

Message 15 of 32 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 1, 2014

nour321 wrote:

It was where I kept having those disconnections on live chat, then marked inactive, swore at my vita for taking up wifi. Went on live chat again, same problem with that annoying "Connection lost with cloudsave CX chat (Or whatever it was called). Please wait as we attempt to restore the connection."
"Connection restored"
"Connection lost"

*Goes back to live chat*
"I appologize for the inconvenience, but regarding our terms of service that you signed up with, we are unable to process a refund."

"I recommend you delete the game so it does not take up space on your memory stick"

"So you can't help me?"

*Negative replies*
*Locked thread*
*Called edit: profanity removed*
*Jimmies too rustled*

Wat8.jpg

Message 16 of 32 (246 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 1, 2014

johngie wrote:

nour321 wrote:

"Connection restored"
"Connection lost"

*Goes back to live chat*

"So you can't help me?"

*Negative replies*
*Locked thread*
*Called edit: profanity removed*
*Jimmies too rustled*

Wat8.jpg

Probably just forgot some medication

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 17 of 32 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2567 posts

Dec 31, 2013
I also have adhd
Message 18 of 32 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4664 posts

Dec 31, 2013

Have gotten positive replies from A mod for sending in humorous reports, Most times I keep it short and to the point tho. 

Message 19 of 32 (227 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12476 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 5, 2014

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

This is a thread for the moderators and for us to maybe get a little insight into the world of a moderator.

I was personally curious as to what you ladies and gentlemen prefer to see in our reporting, if and when we do report things.   

Do you like it short and to the point?

Is humor lost/wasted on reporting?

Do you prefer when it is worded in a way that shows we know a human is reading the report?

Do you prefer links to other related items if they exist?

Would you rather a PM message on certain things?

Anything else you guys might want to share with us to help us help you and vise versa?  

I was wondering if any moderators would reply to this...

My reports are short and succinct. They don’t contain humor. It is always my hope that moderators make decisions with their heads and not with their hearts. I will include links to other threads if they contain relevant information (or if a merge is necessary). I might send a private message to a moderator if I believe he/she might reply to it and/or if the violation isn't in a thread where "Report Inappropriate Content" is possible. I hope this helps.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 20 of 32 (166 Views)
0 Likes