Nov 05 2013
By: KIoey Sackboy 458 posts

Lost my job but I'm happy about it.

24 replies 275 views Edited Nov 5, 2013

Aside from the guilt trip my parents will give me for living like a hippy on the road, I'm glad I **bleep** off my boss enough to get me fired. It was a terrible place to work - not in that it was bad, but it wasn't good.

The management and training really sucked, everything felt like a monotonous repetition with little to no innovation to actually provide orientation to anyone. Three months in and I still wasn't entirely sure how our insurance plans worked. 

Nighttime stocking and freight was the absolute worst. I inherited a large collection of SKUs in the overhead that didn't match SKUs on the shelves that should have been on clearance but weren't because our clearance selection is already too **bleep** big. At what point do we just start throwing **bleep** away to make everything organized? Doing stock realistically felt like I was working for a hoarder.

In general, for everyone it was a jungle and worse yet, you had a broken compass. Employee orientation shouldn't take half a year - especially not on core essentials to the business sales.

From a sales perspective, it's also really **bleep** to work for. Sales quotas were the absolute pits - if nobody caught on, e-commerce is the "big thing" now and brick and mortar stores are essentially the preview shop. Who can blame anyone for that, though? It's much easier to trust the internet than someone who's getting minimum wage who, depending on their work status, may or may not even be getting benefits for standing on their feet at a register all day. The internet service reps sure care more than Johnny making $8 an hour to listen to someone ask, "Do those stairs take me upstairs?"

Yet somehow with human stupidity and the changing market, corporate still sent us orders to sell an astronomical amount of big ticket items. Last I checked, I wasn't capable of moving the Heavens and Earth. They refute this by training us to be aggressive salesmen and women, yet as a consumer I know full and well there's nothing that's more annoying than a sales rep who won't leave you alone after you've said no.

Their personalities might've been great but that was only a small light in the darkness of an unorganized and outdated workplace.

I'm now going to eat an ice cream.

Complete global saturation.
Message 1 of 25 (275 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4546 posts

Re: Lost my job but I'm happy about it.

Nov 5, 2013

drill-sergeant-therapist-o.gif

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 2 of 25 (268 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Nov 5, 2013
Enjoy your days off till the next one comes along.
And dont be ashamed.
Its great to feel relief from a job u hated and know u wont go back and put up with it ever again.
- Restless Dreams.
Message 3 of 25 (264 Views)
Sackboy
458 posts

Nov 5, 2013

Somehow though it's less about hating it and more like feeling unproductive. Management was very lenient and stuff just rolled right off them...but at the same time, I felt bad on the inside because I had no idea what I was doing. I wasn't sure what I was doing and the kind of "care-free" attitude in the training didn't really help me get any bearings.

I could've kept my job even with the **bleep** quality work I put in, it was complaining about how unproductive and emotional I felt for being unproductive that netted me a loss.

Message 4 of 25 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5967 posts

Nov 5, 2013
Message 5 of 25 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5618 posts

Nov 5, 2013

I remember the time I got fired from my job few years ago coz he was one of the slowest workers ever said "hurry the F up" but didn't know the district manager was there and boom fired I was :smileysad: lol

photo original_zpsuu822nnr.jpg
Message 6 of 25 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
458 posts

Nov 5, 2013
Sadly I'm not even sure why I put myself in a position to get fired. I could have kept my head down and held this job for a few years (everyone else seems to) but I don't think I could have lived with myself. I felt way too much anxiety working there - especially recently as we got closer to the Black Friday sales.

Everything was a hectic nightmare and there were even times I cried in the bathroom after my shift because of how disorganized it all was. I'm not qualified to give a self-diagnosis and I acknowledge that people are creatures of habit; but I'm pretty certain that I have a minor case of OCD.
Message 7 of 25 (218 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Nov 5, 2013
You know what..
Sometimes as in your position, Work and ppl along with the atmosphere there tend to bring one down and in such case ones performance suffers.
Its kind of a mind-state where as if your angry and upset and even emotional for being there it affects ones performance in their job as well as their duties and self esteem.
In todays world that is a major issue with ppl working in unsatisfactory jobs and positions and having others on your case at all times doesnt help ones situation.
But just as your story.. It seems your place in work was your real problem and as long as its history and something you wont look back on later in life.. Dont sweat it and give your best to the next job u find and hopefully the cycle wont continue.

- Restless Dreams.
Message 8 of 25 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3648 posts

Nov 5, 2013

I got a job, but I'm not happy about it. :smileytongue:

Message 9 of 25 (171 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager
4738 posts

Nov 5, 2013

KIoey wrote:

The internet service reps sure care more than Johnny making $8 an hour to listen to someone ask, "Do those stairs take me upstairs?"

I lol'd irl.

Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 10 of 25 (149 Views)
0 Likes