Mar 26 2007
By: iRunWitScissors~ First Son 10 posts

Linux?

7 replies 1 views Edited Mar 26, 2007
Somone told me to get Linux as my OS. He says it's way better than Microsoft. If I switch to Linux, will all my data be erased? I don't want all my music and stuff like that going down the drain. Do I also get to keep my original OS?
You're The Man Now Dog!

Dummy-Head :-]
Message 1 of 8 (1 View)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Re: Linux?

Mar 26, 2007

iRunWitScissors wrote:
Somone told me to get Linux as my OS. He says it's way better than Microsoft. If I switch to Linux, will all my data be erased? I don't want all my music and stuff like that going down the drain. Do I also get to keep my original OS?

If you don't know about this simple stuff I doubt you'll be able to use linux.
Message 2 of 8 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 26, 2007

cimanyD wrote:

iRunWitScissors wrote:

If you don't know about this simple stuff I doubt you'll be able to use linux.

Guess not.....Smiley Sad
You're The Man Now Dog!

Dummy-Head :-]
Message 3 of 8 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2583 posts

Mar 26, 2007
You should look up information about partitioning.  If you want to mess with Linux in the first place, and you haven't used it before, there is a HIGH learning curve that will take time.  There are lots of applications for windows that will not works (especially DirectX based games).  There are work arounds for some games but not all.  Linux is a nice OS though.  I multiboot my system (XP, XP64, Vista, Vista64, Ubuntu Linux, Ubuntu Linux64, Gentoo Linux)
Message 4 of 8 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5769 posts

Mar 26, 2007
linux is very nice really i love it. Last time i partitioned my HDD all my data got erased make backups just in case. Right now i havent install linux because i dont wanna have all that trouble of starting and downloading all the windows programs if everything get erased.

by the way if i buy an external HDD can i put linux in that HDD? and how do i make it boot?
Message 5 of 8 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2583 posts

Mar 26, 2007

+_N3M3S1S_+ wrote:
linux is very nice really i love it. Last time i partitioned my HDD all my data got erased make backups just in case. Right now i havent install linux because i dont wanna have all that trouble of starting and downloading all the windows programs if everything get erased.

by the way if i buy an external HDD can i put linux in that HDD? and how do i make it boot?

You install a boot loader on your main drive (usually Grub) and have it take care of the booting.  To make sure things work right, just install Linux as the last OS.  That should put grub on your main HDD and you should be able to configure it just fine.
Message 6 of 8 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5769 posts

Mar 26, 2007

Mil79 wrote:

+_N3M3S1S_+ wrote:

You install a boot loader on your main drive (usually Grub) and have it take care of the booting.  To make sure things work right, just install Linux as the last OS.  That should put grub on your main HDD and you should be able to configure it just fine.

i tough so thats the part im afraid of, installing that because i dont wanna touch my HDD if everything get erased aaa start all over. Last tiem i did it i just dont wanna touch my HDD, oh well one day i get bored i do it and if all get erased. start again
Message 7 of 8 (1 View)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Mar 26, 2007
Whoa now.  I don't think you have good reasons for switching there.  The half assed opinion of someone else isn't good rnough.  He didn't even state a real REASON.  Microsft hating isn't a reason.  Besides, do YOU know what linux is all about in the first place?  Don't go jumping headfirst into ANYthing without checking more into it YOURSELF.  Look around.  Wiki it.  Do some research and make damned SURE it's what you want for your machine. 
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 8 of 8 (1 View)
0 Likes