Treasure Hunter
6729 posts

Re: Laptop Help; Which one to choose?

Nov 19, 2006
I'd definitely go for the MacBook. Once you go Mac, you don't go back.

Message Edited by Tweedle-Dum on 11-19-2006 04:10 PM

meeeeeooooooowwwww
Message 31 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2091 posts

Nov 19, 2006

nyzballa12 wrote:

sOnygAmEr7 wrote:
No it doesn't it just allows you to use Windows - gaming ect. and its the better comp so it does make sense considering it seemsyou like windows two of the 3 choices were windows

Maybe that's because theres only two lines of Apple laptops...I can only afford one...

Oh right sorry I forgot about that :\ (I'd still recomend it though Smiley Very Happy)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 32 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14448 posts

Nov 19, 2006

nyzballa12 wrote:
I have three laptops in mind so far:
  1. 1.83 ghz CD MacBook
  2. AMD 1.8 ghz dual core Inspiron 1501
  3. 1.6 ghz CD Acer Aspire
  1. Cost~$947 with tax and shipping included
  2. Cost~$757 with tax and shipping included
  3. Cost~$789 w/o tax and shipping
Which one is a better laptop/deal?

I would recommend not get a Dell (although it has that AMD ). The Acer may do good...but it seems like a cheap brand, IMO. Personally, go with teh Apple. Can you find a Sony laptop within that price range?

Message Edited by PS2112 on 11-19-2006 01:12 PM
Message 33 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 19, 2006

nyzballa12 wrote:

wrote:

nyzballa12 wrote:

wrote:

nyzballa12 wrote:
I have three laptops in mind so far:
  1. 1.83 ghz CD MacBook
  2. AMD 1.8 ghz dual core Inspiron 1501
  3. 1.6 ghz CD Acer Aspire
  1. Cost~$947 with tax and shipping included
  2. Cost~$757 with tax and shipping included
  3. Cost~$789 w/o tax and shipping
Which one is a better laptop/deal?

Honestly, the MacBook is the best deal. It will get you the best battery life of any laptop under a grand. Plus you get OS X

But if you want to consider Windows PCs, neither one of those cut it. The Dell comes with the horrid ATI Xpress chipset. Avoid that like an ugly girl.

Go there and click Customize. Select the following:

Free Upgrade to Windows XP Media Center Edition.

AMD Turion64 X2 TL-50

Free Upgrade to BrightView Widescreen

256MB GeForce Go 7200

1GB of RAM

80GB HDD

Free Upgrade to DVD writer

Recovery DVD w/Media Center

And the HP Mobile Remote COntrol if you want to use HP Quickplay for DVDs.

That comes out to be $828 and some change before shipping and taxes and after $50 mail-in rebate. For an extra $40 you can get a 12 cell battery that will bump your battery life up to MacBook levels, but add a little bit of bulk to the system.

Click Customize and select the following:

Media Center

Intel Core Duo T2050

Free Upgrade to BrightView Widescreen

nVidia GeForce Go 7400 256MB

1GB of RAM

80GB HDD

DVD Writer

System Recovery DVD

HP Mobile Remote (if you want to use Quickplay or watch DVDs at all). That system is $903.98 before taxes and shipping, but after $50 mail-in rebate. You can take $15 off of each system if you don't want the mobile remote control.

Honestly, the speed difference between the Core Duo and Turion64 X2 is definitely up for debate. The Core Duo will get better battery life, but the speed is roughly the same. Core 2 Duo will tack on another $50 to the price tag. $828 for a dual-core AMD system with a 256MB dedicated GeForce and 1GB of RAM is a GREAT deal. $813 if you don't want the remote. Or $852.99 without the remote but with the 12 cell battery for up 5 hours of battery life.

Honestly, get the MacBook or build one of those systems. The MacBook will come with better software (OS X, iLife) but the HP systems I just configured for you will be faster and come with better hardware (and a bigger screen). Both of those systems will get free Windows Vista Home Premium upgrades.

MacBook it is! I want a 360 also...that's why I was looking at something a little cheaper Smiley Tongue

The 360 will be around for awhile. So save up and pickup one of the new Core 2 Duo MacBooks Smiley Tongue Right now, at this moment on the Apple website, you can get a refurbed MacBook with a 2GHz Core Duo and a DVD burner for $1000

So what do you reccon I do?
  1. Just splurge it all on a MacBook
  2. Try to get the $100 deal and get the MacBook after Christmas when everyone will be trying to sell it on eBay and such because they don't want it
  3. Just get a Xbox 360 and a Nice 32" HDTV

What would you get more use out of? Do you NEED a new computer? Do you NEED an Xbox360?

You could probably get a lot more use out of the computer.  I would personally buy that. The Xbox360 isn't going anywhere, and next fall it will be 2 years old, so you're likely to see a price drop. Not to mention there will be more games for it then and cheaper games to boot.
Friends don't let friends buy Bose

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Message 34 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes