Highlighted
Feb 06 2013
By: moblesuit75 Treasure Hunter 4421 posts

Kudos or Some Form of Acknowledgement for PMs

24 replies 161 views Edited Feb 6, 2013

I have been accused of being loquacious at times, so first I will give the short and sweet:

Kudos, or something like it for PMs.

Don't have to count towards "main" Kudos, possibly count as other credit, or have no value other than acknowledgement.

Ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for the full explanation of the idea:

By nature; Private Messages (PMs) are off the "grid" and, well, private.  At times they can be used to share one on one ideas, and anything two or three or however many people wish to discuss without everyone else seeing.

Within these conversations, at times, great ideas are passed along and even pertinent information is shared.  A PM conversation can be only one or two posts, but can often blow up into a day long conversation.

All of these aspects of PMing are great.  What is missing, is the ability to give credit to someone who shares something with you.  In the Open Forum, we have the ability to KUDOS each other.  

The KUDOS can, often, act as an acknowledgement or agreement without the necessity to post an actual reply.  In a PM conversation, this is not available.  In order to acknowledge someone, you need to continuously send messages back and forth, even if only to say "yes", "cool", or "OK".

Should there be a KUDOS Button for PMs?

I don't think it would need to be a KUDOS adding to the overall KUDOS Totals, but maybe a secondary KUDOS, or name it something else all together.  Maybe, for the sake of simplicity, have a function that gives no credit, but merely serves as an acknowledgement.  Although, the credit would be nice.Smiley Wink

If credit could be attached to it, perhaps it could be another factor in the algorithm for Ranking.  PMs can help people communicate privately, smooth out differences and even get help without dragging the entire Forum into a "situation".

Just a base idea on this.  Any feedback, questions, or additional ideas are welcome.  Mods, Admins, and Platform Support are all welcome to chime in as well.

Moble

Message 1 of 25 (161 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Re: Kudos or Some Form of Acknowledgement for PMs

Feb 6, 2013

Would not work ppl would just use it to manipulate the system.

Jive had a big hole in that side.

I think the PMs work great especially since you can also quote the message for the sender.

I think Kudos is also fine and the number limit they have I have not gone over the limit in a long time.

So Yeah just my Smiley

Message 2 of 25 (152 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2013

You sure do love Kudos, don't cha?

I give Kudos here and there. Personally, I wouldn't even use a Kudo feature PMs, but others would. From knowing some users over time and looking over all forum sections I think a 3rd of forum users just give Kudos for the heck of it (abuse it in the wrong way).

But hey, the more features this forum has, the better.

YB

Message 3 of 25 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Like I was saying in part of the post though, they would not necessarily have to be KUDOS, or even have any credit assigned to them.

Maybe a check mark or something.  I suppose a reply with a simple smiley face would suffice, but then again, you are hitting reply and sending another PM.  

Essentially, I am thinking of a method to acknowledge you have read the person's PM, so that they do not feel they are being "Ignored" if you don't get back to them right away.  I know you can check the "sent" PMs to see if it was read, but if the person takes a day or two to respond, then you don't know if they agree with you or have any actual response.

Yes, I like to use my KUDOS liberally.  I give credit for Witt, humor, good advice, or even advice/responses I agree with.  In that last instance, it is a method of getting an agreement in on a point that may be in contention, without being completely drawn into the argument.

Moble

Message 4 of 25 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
8918 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Lol you like kudos don't you moble? Here have one, even though your idea was stupid. Smiley Very Happy

Why is it stupid? You don't need kudos to be acknowledged, Moble.  People know who put thoughts and effort in their posts, and some number of "kudo" doesn't make a difference. Really it's just to say "Good post bro" nothing more nothing less. Recognition is not earned through kudos. 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 5 of 25 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Feb 6, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

Lol you like kudos don't you moble? Here have one, even though your idea was stupid. Smiley Very Happy

Why is it stupid? You don't need kudos to be acknowledged, Moble.  People know who put thoughts and effort in their posts, and some number of "kudo" doesn't make a difference. Really it's just to say "Good post bro" nothing more nothing less. Recognition is not earned through kudos. 

That is one opinion, yes.

NO KUDOS FOR YOU!  You are officially cut off from my supply. Smiley LOL

Moble

Message 6 of 25 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Feb 6, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

Essentially, I am thinking of a method to acknowledge you have read the person's PM, so that they do not feel they are being "Ignored" if you don't get back to them right away.  I know you can check the "sent" PMs to see if it was read, but if the person takes a day or two to respond, then you don't know if they agree with you or have any actual response.

Don't we already have a way of knowing when we want to know if a user has opened the message or not? Because when I send a PM, and go to my Outbox, the subject of the PM is in bold black and when it's read, it's just normal. Isn't that a way of knowning they read it or at least opened it?

YB

Message 7 of 25 (124 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Feb 6, 2013

How about a negative KUDOS for the regular part of the Forum then?  That way, when you don't like something, you can detract from someone's KUDOS count.

Or when someone is being douchey.Smiley Very Happy

Moble

Message 8 of 25 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Feb 6, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

How about a negative KUDOS for the regular part of the Forum then?  That way, when you don't like something, you can detract from someone's KUDOS count.

Moble

NO NO NO NO!!! 

Then I would be in the negatives! 

Message 9 of 25 (98 Views)
Shinra Executive
42126 posts

Feb 6, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

Moble

I'd say don't subtract from people's total Kudos but just have a 'negative' total so you can see which one outweighs the other (if you're more helpful or if you just cause trouble).

I think negative Kudos though would just lead to problems =\

Message 10 of 25 (95 Views)