Treasure Hunter
5760 posts

Re: Japanese Words Trivia

Jul 7, 2006

speedfreakish wrote:

InuYasha Bandicoot wrote:
So,you know 4 language fully? Like, lived and talked, or tvs? I know a,little Japanese, Hebrew best, Arabic, Spain, English, and a little,Russian. But if you know 4 fully, than that's great!

tvs? psh, I am -fluent-, meaning I can walk and talk in 4 languages.

You have to remember that 98% of the foreign shows that you watch or television shows in general do not,portray everyday life. Take Spanish soap operas. I certainly don't,speak as dramatic as those woman on TV when I speak to my family or,friends. Learning a language takes hard work and everyday interaction,in real life, not watching anime shows.

Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
Message 31 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2615 posts

Jul 7, 2006

Moon Child wrote:

speedfreakish wrote:

So,you know 4 language fully? Like, lived and talked, or tvs? I know a,little Japanese, Hebrew best, Arabic, Spain, English, and a little,Russian. But if you know 4 fully, than that's great!

tvs? psh, I am -fluent-, meaning I can walk and talk in 4 languages.

You have to remember that 98% of the foreign shows that you watch or television shows in general do not,portray everyday life. Take Spanish soap operas. I certainly don't,speak as dramatic as those woman on TV when I speak to my family or,friends. Learning a language takes hard work and everyday interaction,in real life, not watching anime shows.

more like, 99% Smiley Tongue
oh and InuYasha Bandicoot, I just asked my mom for clarification, and she said that UMI and HUMI is -not- the same thing.
Message 32 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2087 posts

Jul 7, 2006

True. Humi gives H the sound.

You do learn words from Animes. And more depends on the show .

In Japanese, when you see Humi (the word in English letters) people understand you mean the sound of the word Umi (sea). There's no humi sound word in Japanese. This specific word's sound is not heard. Sorry, it's hard to explain. But Japanese rock!

Proud Anime Fan! My favorite animes: Inuyasha>Bleach>Ranma ��.
I love the Inuyasha anime and manga! My PSN: InuyashaBandicot
Message 33 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2615 posts

Jul 7, 2006

True. Humi gives H the sound.

You do learn words from Animes. And more depends on the show .

In Japanese, when you see Humi (the word in English letters) people understand you mean the sound of the word Umi (sea). There's no humi sound word in Japanese. This specific word's sound is not heard. Sorry, it's hard to explain. But Japanese rock!

no they are just two whole different words.
and no I believe you cannot learn words from animes. if you mean learning how to say things when watching a dubbed show, no, that's not how you learn a language.
Message 34 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5760 posts

Jul 7, 2006

speedfreakish wrote:

,more like, 99% Smiley Tongue
oh and InuYasha Bandicoot, I just asked my mom for clarification, and she said that UMI and HUMI is -not- the same thing.

I,can't imagine going around talking all dramatic to everyone. People,would probably start giving me weird looks even more than they already,do.
,InuYasha Bandicoot: Exactly, words, not actual sentences that would depict today's life.

Message 35 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2087 posts

Jul 7, 2006
You're going way dramtic.. lol...
to previous poster: Humi and Umi are different sounds, but when I say Humi, the H isn't heard in this word, because the word doesn't exist in Japanese.
Message 36 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2615 posts

Jul 7, 2006

to previous poster: Humi and Umi are different sounds, but when I say Humi, the H isn't heard in this word, because the word doesn't exist in Japanese.

Humi *is* a real word in Japanese!Robot Mad
We don't have any silent letters in the Japanese language!
Message 37 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2087 posts

Jul 7, 2006

,speedfreakish wrote:

,InuYasha Bandicoot wrote:

Ok, relax! So there are the words Umi and Humi, both are real words, with real definitions?
Message 38 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5760 posts

Jul 7, 2006

,Ok, relax! So there are the words Umi and Humi, both are real words, with real definitions?

I'm pretty sure that was implied.

Message 39 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2615 posts

Jul 7, 2006

,speedfreakish wrote:

,InuYasha Bandicoot wrote:

Ok, relax! So there are the words Umi and Humi, both are real words, with real definitions?

YES. please stop watching so much anime! ok, just kidding about that part but the Japanese language isn't as easy as most people think. We have over 50 'syllables' (letters in English) in our alphabet, many ways to write a single word, thousands of kanji (actually more than that) and yet speaking it is the hardest part. And there is -no- way a guy could "learn" Japanese from watching any anime. ANY ANIME. *dies*
Message 40 of 101 (1 View)
0 Likes