http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-the-final-hack

Message 1 of 18 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2949 posts

Re: It's Not Over!

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2012

honor among the original hackers?  it appears they never intended to release the hack but some chinese group got ahold of it and was going to sell it.   so the creators put it out for free so noone would be charged o..0

This thread was moved from Home General Discussion.

BEWARE OF THE SPEEDING WHITE SAUSAGE!!!!!
mercia comic here --> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home-General/duty-to-the-spirit-mercia-comic/m-p/37428903/thread-id/1089731/highlight/false
Message 2 of 18 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Oct 23, 2012

Thanks you kindly space_cape for letting us know where this came from.

Message 3 of 18 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7836 posts

Oct 23, 2012
I saw this, saw the edit tag, figured it was from the original forums. Saw the date, said oh, 2012, that was a while ago. this is from the old forums.

It's still 2012.

Survivor of an earthquake, hurricane, and multiple tornadoes in one week. g@m
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Utley, Pence, Price, Longo, Briere, Jags

Message 4 of 18 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5176 posts

HACKERS ATTACK AGAIN!!!

Oct 24, 2012

Sony faces setback as hackers release PlayStation 3 decryption keys

Sony faced a setback in its campaign to control what software can run on its PlayStation 3 after hackers published one of the cryptographic keys that forms the core of the security scheme locking down the game console.

The so-called LV0 key, released by a crew calling itself "The Three Musketeers," grants access to the one of the most sensitive parts of the PS3. Its availability should make it easier for hackers and modders to work around restrictions Sony places on the console. The key can be used to decrypt future security updates Sony issues for the console and to incorporate those changes into custom firmware packages not authorized by the Japan-based game maker. Sony has long discouraged the use of custom firmware by, among other things, blocking consoles that use them from connecting to the PlayStation Network.

The Three Musketeers said they discovered the LV0 key some time ago and only published it after a separate hacking group was using the code to build and sell its own custom firmware called BlueDiskCFW. Their post appears to be available here.

"You can be sure that if it wouldn’t have been for this leak, this key would never have seen the light of day," the group wrote in a note accompanying the key, according to a post published on Tuesday to PlayStationLifeStyle.net. "Only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now."

Release of the key is only the latest attack on a security regimen that many PS3 users took as an affront to their self-proclaimed what they argued is their right to use the console as they saw fit. Early efforts to seize control from Sony included PSJailbreak, which was a USB stick that allowed games to be fully installed to, and played from, the system's included hard drive. In late 2010, a group calling itself fail0verflow described ways work through the PS3's various security levels, which include a chain of trust, a hypervisor, and signed executables. The group ultimately located the ECDSA signature, a private cryptographic key the console uses to authorize high-level operations.

Working independently of the group, hacker George Hotz soon matched the fail0verflow feat by discovering and publicly releasing the metldr keys that could be used to trick the system into running unauthorized programs. Sony sued the New Jersey-based Hotz over the disclosure, but eventually agreed to drop the controversial lawsuit in exchange for promises he would curtail all future attempts to unlock the game console.

It remains unclear just how damaging the key's release will be to Sony's attempts to stop the running of pirated games and other types of unauthorized software on the PS3. Nate Lawson, a cryptographer and the principal of the Root Labs security consultancy, said the disclosure represents a setback for Sony in its attempt to control what end users can and can't do with the console.

"They're going to have to depend on obfuscation as their primary security measure to keep people from decrypting their updates," he told Ars. "It's a cat-and-mouse game that's now more closely in the favor of the attackers. But Sony has plenty of things they can still do. It's just another link in the chain."

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
225+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 5 of 18 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2186 posts

Re: HACKERS ATTACK AGAIN!!!

Oct 24, 2012

With all these useless and unwanted updates I must say they had it coming. I collect games so I'm not interested in the piracy aspect, but it's time Sony learned they can't keep forcing this BS on us. The only feature I was disappointed to lose was BC but if people paid for the hardware with such things they should be able to keep it without losing other functionality.

Until Sony quits updating I'm afraid I'll continue to cheer for the hacking community. My goal is to have a PS3 that plays all retail games and connects to PSN without any other interference. Take out the movie playback, the browser, Home, all the non-gaming fluff. It wastes my drive space.

Too many games, too little time.
Message 6 of 18 (268 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10200 posts

Oct 24, 2012
This isn't news, people with the latest firmware cannot "Hack" the console, if so you would have to downgrade the firmware, which isn't worth the hassle.
Message 7 of 18 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Oct 24, 2012

DPsx7 wrote:

With all these useless and unwanted updates I must say they had it coming. I collect games so I'm not interested in the piracy aspect, but it's time Sony learned they can't keep forcing this BS on us. The only feature I was disappointed to lose was BC but if people paid for the hardware with such things they should be able to keep it without losing other functionality.

Until Sony quits updating I'm afraid I'll continue to cheer for the hacking community. My goal is to have a PS3 that plays all retail games and connects to PSN without any other interference. Take out the movie playback, the browser, Home, all the non-gaming fluff. It wastes my drive space.

Actually, if it wasn't for F/W updates we won't have cloud saves. Or even PSN itself. (PSN was patched in after the PS3 was released)

And really, what have hackers done for us? Nothing but a lot of trouble. Just wait until they release a RAM editor that allows them to cheat online like how they did it on the PSP... Now that would be interference for your gaming experience.

Message 8 of 18 (257 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2186 posts

Oct 24, 2012

But updating IS worth the hassle? Nuh uh. These keys mean even the new FW's can be unlocked. That's why it's news.

If Sony stopped updating then there wouldn't be a problem.

Too many games, too little time.
Message 9 of 18 (256 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10200 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 24, 2012

DPsx7 wrote:

But updating IS worth the hassle? Nuh uh. These keys mean even the new FW's can be unlocked. That's why it's news.

If Sony stopped updating then there wouldn't be a problem.

I completely disagree with that statement, if it weren't for the system updates, the ps3 would have been hacked to death and would be easily hackable which would equal having to worry about publisher support etc....look at the psp and see how it turned out in the end. Ever since the Psn blackout, Sony have been much more vigilant over the security of the console.

Message 10 of 18 (248 Views)
0 Likes