Nov 23 2012
By: WalterDWormack Lombax Warrior 154 posts

Is using 'codes' still considered 'verboten'?

7 replies 96 views Edited Nov 23, 2012

I just thought I'd pose this question.  As a 'older person', who bought my console and software for my own personal amusement.  I want to know, if codes are available for programs anymore?  And if they are, can I use them, as long as I stay ISOLATED from everyone?

Message 1 of 8 (96 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41886 posts

Re: Is using 'codes' still considered 'verboten'?

Nov 23, 2012

WalterDWormack wrote:

I just thought I'd pose this question.  As a 'older person', who bought my console and software for my own personal amusement.  I want to know, if codes are available for programs anymore?  And if they are, can I use them, as long as I stay ISOLATED from everyone?

What kind if codes are you referring to?

The only codes for use on the PS3 system come in the form of a mixture of numbers & letters like this: 1A2B-3C4B-5D6E

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 8 (93 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Nov 24, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

WalterDWormack wrote:

The only codes for use on the PS3 system come in the form of a mixture of numbers & letters like this: 1A2B-3C4B-5D6E

I think they mean cheat codes. Most games don't have them any longer. If you know a good website for them post it. I'll occasionally use them if I'm in an impossible situation but again most games don't have them because they no longer have impossible situations. I like the video walk thrus on www.gamewinners.com if I need help now. Game how you like. Your enjoyment isn't dependent on anyone else.

Message 3 of 8 (88 Views)
MVP Support
41886 posts

Nov 24, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

WalterDWormack wrote:

I think they mean cheat codes. Most games don't have them any longer. If you know a good website for them post it. I'll occasionally use them if I'm in an impossible situation but again most games don't have them because they no longer have impossible situations. I like the video walk thrus on www.gamewinners.com if I need help now. Game how you like. Your enjoyment isn't dependent on anyone else.

I didn't even think of cheat codes, I suppose for the very reason you said, that they are hardly used any more.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 4 of 8 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 24, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

ne1atall wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

WalterDWormack wrote:

I didn't even think of cheat codes, I suppose for the very reason you said, that they are hardly used any more.

Let me make this clear. I  DON'T MEAN CHEAT CODES As I'm sure I explained earlier,  I don't 'play games',  with anyone.  To cheat, in gaming, is to give  yourself an unfair edge against a opponent.  Now, since I 'play alone',  just who am I cheating, if I choose to use codes?  The problem today is, everyone has let their competitive natures get alarmingly out of control.   Gamers, see everyone as a competitor, whether they're playing with them or not.  And the competition mania just got worse when both sony, and 'the other company', implemented a 'reward system' for their respective systems (ie: trophies, and achievements).  I mean, there's always been concern over 'cheating'.  But when the 'reward' system was implemented, a sort of 'anti cheating' hysteria swept the gaming community.  Within a two-to-three year period, it seemed like every game code was abolished. Game developers took a darwinian approach to making games, a survival-of-the fittest attitude.  Gaming codes, were seen as a 'crutch, and those who were using them were frowned upon.  You were considered a 'weakling', or worse for using codes.  And to some extent, that mindset still seems to persist today. 

Message 5 of 8 (78 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Nov 24, 2012

You seem unreasonably angry. No one cares how you play. Use whatever codes you find and call them what you want.

Message 6 of 8 (67 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Nov 25, 2012
"Cheat" Codes is just a name. Doesn't imply cheating despite the harsh name.

They'd only work offline anyway. Imagine, invincibility in Starhawk online.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 7 of 8 (54 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1062 posts

Nov 25, 2012
^oh god....
Message 8 of 8 (51 Views)
0 Likes