Apr 05 2007
By: Kizit I Only Post Everything 996 posts

Is this wise?

8 replies 1 views Edited Apr 5, 2007
I am thinking about dual-booting linux ubuntu and windows XP.
I have no idea really how to go about this. You only really need to partition part of my hard drive and get a dual boot program right?
So, I have no knowledge of how to dual boot or even linux in general so do you think that I should undergo this task, and do you think that I could be succesful at it?

Firefox kicks, spread the word!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5128 posts

Re: Is this wise?

Apr 5, 2007
go for it, my friend dual boots and what he says sounds easy
partition your HD and use that software? and you should be fine
Written in very small characters one word, which could be deciphered, but it was hard to tell whether it should be read as independent or interdependent

PSU handle: NewbieSmack
Gaming PSN handle: Mistah_Kurtz
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9178 posts

Apr 5, 2007
just burn the image to a cd
press esc when at the start screen of yur comp (before the winxp logo shows, when the comp manufactorers logo is on the screen)
insert disk with the OS on it
select the drive that the disk is in

lol signature
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
996 posts

Apr 5, 2007

dajermster wrote:
press esc when at the start screen of yur comp (before the winxp logo shows, when the comp manufactorers logo is on the screen)

Thats not dual-booting is it?thats just booting with the live CD. I am considering putting the OS on my harddrive and then using another program to choose at startup which OS iw ould like to load.that is what my question pertains to...
Firefox kicks, spread the word!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9178 posts

Apr 5, 2007

poprockpro wrote:

dajermster wrote:

Thats not dual-booting is it?thats just booting with the live CD. I am considering putting the OS on my harddrive and then using another program to choose at startup which OS iw ould like to load.that is what my question pertains to...

oh. well, it may chew some hdd space up, but yea, u can do that.
lol signature
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3330 posts

Apr 5, 2007
im gunna do this with xp and vista...so im interested in this topic...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3798 posts

Apr 5, 2007
To answer your subject question, no this is not wise. If you are not familiar with OS installation, formatting, partitioning, etc. You will get in over your head with the quickness. To properly dual boot, you will have to partition and format your drive (unless of course you have already done this previously and have an open partition). Doing this will completely erase your hard drive and you will have to install not one but two OSes. Partitioning software like Partition Magic may or may not work for partioning (I have used it and ran into problems a couple of times). If your computer is say a Dell, Compaq, HP, etc, etc. There is already a small hidden partition that contains all of the system restore stuff from the manufacturer. Partitioning and formatting will delete this and it will be gone.

Please consider all that is involved before you take that giant step. If you feel comfortable with doing this, back up, back up and back up all of your data and downloaded programs, etc. You will lose everything.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3330 posts

Apr 5, 2007

FireSlayer wrote:
To answer your subject question, no this is not wise. If you are not familiar with OS installation, formatting, partitioning, etc. You will get in over your head with the quickness. To properly dual boot, you will have to partition and format your drive (unless of course you have already done this previously and have an open partition). Doing this will completely erase your hard drive and you will have to install not one but two OSes. Partitioning software like Partition Magic may or may not work for partioning (I have used it and ran into problems a couple of times). If your computer is say a Dell, Compaq, HP, etc, etc. There is already a small hidden partition that contains all of the system restore stuff from the manufacturer. Partitioning and formatting will delete this and it will be gone.

Please consider all that is involved before you take that giant step. If you feel comfortable with doing this, back up, back up and back up all of your data and downloaded programs, etc. You will lose everything.

1 question...i took out my hdd from my compaq and now i use it as my external hdd...rite now there is nothing on it....can i install vista on that hdd and not even touch my internal hdd?
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3798 posts

Apr 5, 2007

pspfreak1234 wrote:

FireSlayer wrote:

1 question...i took out my hdd from my compaq and now i use it as my external hdd...rite now there is nothing on it....can i install vista on that hdd and not even touch my internal hdd?

Oh yes. That would probably be a better option so you dont have to lose the information you have now. I'll have to study on what you would need to do a dual boot that way, but it will work.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes