Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
16900 posts

Re: Is the notion of right and wrong clearly defined?

[ Edited ]
May 8, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

And since we're on the subject, whats with the radical change in Gods personality from nukeing cities full of gay people and using Job as a ragdoll to prove to satan that he will still be loyal...to full on destroying the world except for noah and a few others...and then in the new-testament, its basically all love and rainbows in comparison, granted there are still some messed up things that happen, but still..

It's coming. God has been saving up His wrath.  The Book of Revelation is where He really exhausts His full vengeance.  The judgments in Revelation make the OT look like a walk in tha park.

Jesus strongly rebuked the Pharisees.  Jesus said about Capernaum that if He had done the same miracles in Sodom and Gomorrah, the people would have repented and the cities would still be there.

Likewise, in the Book of Revelation, God begins pouring out His wrath and judgment upon the world.  Over and over again, it says, "...and the people repented not."  Toward the end, people fully understand that it's God doing all this and they still don't repent.  It's one thing if you don't believe in God.  Why should you repent, right?  But these people believe in God but cling tightly to their sins.

There's faith, and then there's saving faith.

James 2:19

[19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Satan believes in God, because he knows God personally.  So do all the other devils.  That doesn't mean he or they have a saving faith.  The people in Revelation getting hammered by God's wrath will know it's God doing it in judgment of their sins, but they will refuse to repent from their sins and be saved.

God hasn't changed.  Of all the adjectives to describe God, these three remain the most important: holy, holy, holy.  Above everything and anything else about God, He is holy.  We're all sinners.  We all deserve death and hell.  None of us is righteous enough to stand confidently before a holy God.

Without the impossible sacrifice, all of us would be destroyed eventually as we contradict God's holiness.  But then John 3:16 happened.  I hear people complain all the time that God only made one way to get into Heaven.  How many ways do you need?  People should be grateful that He made ANY way into Heaven.  We were incapable of doing it ourselves.  Any other way into Heaven would be more difficult.

Climb Mount Everest wearing only a bathing suit.

Chop off your leg.

Donate a million dollars to charity.

No matter what hypothetical way you may come up with for getting saved, it would be more difficult than God's plan.  So why would anyone complain?

There is plenty of vengeance, wrath, and judgment to come.  It will total more than the entirety of the Old Testament.  God's holiness must still be satisfied.  That has never changed.

wonder what the hold up is.

Message 71 of 95 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4934 posts

May 8, 2013
(Once again, before I say this, I am a believer). Ricky Gervais once said

"A Christian telling an atheist he is going to Hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they wont get any presents from Santa"

I kinda agree with him. Athiests don't believe, so why would it bother them?
 photo Untitled-1_zps6a2e69f8.jpg
Message 72 of 95 (318 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6477 posts

May 8, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
I'm Christian (before I say this), I find it amazing that some non-believers know more about Christianity that a lot of believers do. (This is directed at NO ONE. I've noticed this for a while)

Ah, yes, thats because "believers" as it were, simply have their beliefs re-inforced by going to church every sunday (if they even do that) and the ones that even read the Bible on their own time dont udnerstand most of what they read because of analogies the western world isnt familiar with and because of all the parts that are missing.

"Non-believers" if thats the label we're going with, are simply looking for answers. True, some simply undermine and attempt to ruin, but most are seeking truth...and in that they see, and find things that "believers" either simply dont notice or totally ignore because it may challenge their belief if they cant understand something

Example: Where do dinosouars fit into the creation?

dinosouars are mentioned in the bible..    Theres a  passage that talk about giants that roamed the  earth.  animals and men that where  gaints.. back in those thhose time you  couldnt say it like you saw it.. you had use other words becuase if someone found it you'd be killed for that so will the people worshipping with you

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 73 of 95 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
33162 posts

May 8, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
I'm Christian (before I say this), I find it amazing that some non-believers know more about Christianity that a lot of believers do. (This is directed at NO ONE. I've noticed this for a while)

Ah, yes, thats because "believers" as it were, simply have their beliefs re-inforced by going to church every sunday (if they even do that) and the ones that even read the Bible on their own time dont udnerstand most of what they read because of analogies the western world isnt familiar with and because of all the parts that are missing.

"Non-believers" if thats the label we're going with, are simply looking for answers. True, some simply undermine and attempt to ruin, but most are seeking truth...and in that they see, and find things that "believers" either simply dont notice or totally ignore because it may challenge their belief if they cant understand something

dinosouars are mentioned in the bible..    Theres a  passage that talk about giants that roamed the  earth.  animals and men that where  gaints.. back in those thhose time you  couldnt say it like you saw it.. you had use other words becuase if someone found it you'd be killed for that so will the people worshipping with you

Nobody would kill you.  Genesis wasn't written at the time.  Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible, long after the Great Flood.  Before then, just about everything was word-of-mouth.  They didn't need to write things down.

Also, nobody dared lay a finger on Moses.  He wrote diligently all the things God told him to write.  He wasn't afraid of any person.  If you defied Moses, God would open up the ground and swallow you up.  People who defied Moses were quickly slain.  Moses never had to speak in code, write stuff backwards in a mirror, use quattrains, or any of that stuff.  He declared the Word of God and that was all there was to it.  The people usually didn't like what he said, but they were absolutely powerless to stop him, threaten him, oppose him, or defy him in any way.  Moses was certainly not afraid for his life.

The oldest book in the Bible is Job.  This took place roughly 250 years after the Great Flood.  Over and over, Job laments that someone should really be writing all of this down.  In his day it wasn't common practice.  Eventually, someone did write down all of the things he went through.

Speaking of the Book of Job, there is an animal described in great detail, referred to as a "behemoth".  What kind of animal does this sound like to you?

Job 40:15-14

[15] Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

[16] Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

[17] He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

[18] His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

[19] He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.

[20] Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

[21] He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.

[22] The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.

[23] Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.

[24] He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

I ask you, If not a sauropod, what kind of land animal has a tail like a cedar tree?  It's definitely not an elephant.  But what current land animal is greater than an elephant? Right now, the elephant is the greatest land animal.  The behemoth is clearly not an elephant.

But how could these primitive people supposedly living in huts so accurately describe a dinosaur?  In this passage, God is talking to Job, and He is talking as if He's describing something Job has seen for himself.  God specifically mentions the Jordan River at the end.  That's a central location to just about everything in the Bible.

Job most likely had seen a dinosaur for himself, or at least had met people who saw the dinosaurs.

Look again at verse 15.  God says that He made the behemoth with "thee" (meaning with Man).  This happened on Day 6, when God made all the animals, and then made Adam and Eve.  Since Job occurs after the Great Flood, that means there were dinosaurs on the Ark.  Noah was faithful to obey God and get samples of ALL the land animals.  This includes dinosaurs.

Compare this to what Jesus said.

Mark 10:6-9

[6] But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

[7] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

[8] And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

[9] What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God didn't create the universe and then wait 15 billion years to create people.  In verse 6 Jesus says God made Adam and Eve at the beginning of creation.

These are not isolated.

Romans 5:12

[12] Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Adam had one and only one commandment.  Don't eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.  He ate from it anyway.  This was sin.  It was only one sin.  One sin is one too many when dealing with a God who is holy, holy, holy.  Because of that sin, God passed judgment upon everything under Adam's command, meaning the entire earth.  Everything on earth must die.  Sin brought death.  This is echoed throughout the Bible.  Sin = death.

If God had created the dinosaurs billions of years ago, and then killed them all off for no good reason, then God would be cruel.  God isn't cruel.  He's extremely merciful.  God allowed the dinosaurs to die off, not because of cruelty, but as part of a holy and righteous judgment against Adam.

This is an example of God's mercy in the Old Testament that most people miss.

Message 74 of 95 (293 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

May 9, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

NikeMurphDawg wrote:

Nobody would kill you.  Genesis wasn't written at the time.  Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible, long after the Great Flood.  Before then, just about everything was word-of-mouth.  They didn't need to write things down.

Also, nobody dared lay a finger on Moses.  He wrote diligently all the things God told him to write.  He wasn't afraid of any person.  If you defied Moses, God would open up the ground and swallow you up.  People who defied Moses were quickly slain.  Moses never had to speak in code, write stuff backwards in a mirror, use quattrains, or any of that stuff.  He declared the Word of God and that was all there was to it.  The people usually didn't like what he said, but they were absolutely powerless to stop him, threaten him, oppose him, or defy him in any way.  Moses was certainly not afraid for his life.

The oldest book in the Bible is Job.  This took place roughly 250 years after the Great Flood.  Over and over, Job laments that someone should really be writing all of this down.  In his day it wasn't common practice.  Eventually, someone did write down all of the things he went through.

Speaking of the Book of Job, there is an animal described in great detail, referred to as a "behemoth".  What kind of animal does this sound like to you?

[16] Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

[17] He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

[19] He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.

[20] Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

[22] The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.

[23] Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.

I ask you, If not a sauropod, what kind of land animal has a tail like a cedar tree?  It's definitely not an elephant.  But what current land animal is greater than an elephant? Right now, the elephant is the greatest land animal.  The behemoth is clearly not an elephant.

But how could these primitive people supposedly living in huts so accurately describe a dinosaur?  In this passage, God is talking to Job, and He is talking as if He's describing something Job has seen for himself.  God specifically mentions the Jordan River at the end.  That's a central location to just about everything in the Bible.

Job most likely had seen a dinosaur for himself, or at least had met people who saw the dinosaurs.

Look again at verse 15.  God says that He made the behemoth with "thee" (meaning with Man).  This happened on Day 6, when God made all the animals, and then made Adam and Eve.  Since Job occurs after the Great Flood, that means there were dinosaurs on the Ark.  Noah was faithful to obey God and get samples of ALL the land animals.  This includes dinosaurs.

[7] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

[8] And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

God didn't create the universe and then wait 15 billion years to create people.  In verse 6 Jesus says God made Adam and Eve at the beginning of creation.

These are not isolated.

[12] Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Adam had one and only one commandment.  Don't eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.  He ate from it anyway.  This was sin.  It was only one sin.  One sin is one too many when dealing with a God who is holy, holy, holy.  Because of that sin, God passed judgment upon everything under Adam's command, meaning the entire earth.  Everything on earth must die.  Sin brought death.  This is echoed throughout the Bible.  Sin = death.

If God had created the dinosaurs billions of years ago, and then killed them all off for no good reason, then God would be cruel.  God isn't cruel.  He's extremely merciful.  God allowed the dinosaurs to die off, not because of cruelty, but as part of a holy and righteous judgment against Adam.

But, Man and dinasours didn't coexist, that is a fact, now I'm not here to claim there is no God or something like that, I do believe in God, maybe not the one depicted on any religion but I do believe in him. The thing is, most religions are so close minded that they simply deny anything that defies their teachings, they completely oversee facts and replace them with their own based only on "faith" and while I do agree it is impossible to reconcile faith with scientific facts, it is the main reason why I steped aside of every religion including the one I was raised on.

I believe in evolution, does this mean I don't believe that God is the maker of the universe? Of course not, but I can't just say, hey, we were here first, we didn't evolve, we magically appear out of nowhere, and dinasours lived with us, like the Flintstones. My point being,   we should stop trying to explain scientific facts with religion and this works the other way around.

Message 75 of 95 (288 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16900 posts

May 9, 2013

Ya, I was going to say, there is 0 evidence of humans existing with dinosouars. Not to mention...the bible was compiled hundreds of years after the death of Jesus because they needed all the rules and official doctrine compiled all in one place because things were getting twisted even back then. Theres so much missing its not even funny.

Message 76 of 95 (285 Views)
I Only Post Everything
796 posts

May 9, 2013
wow DrGadget..you are well versed in the scriptures and i commend you sir. I like most of the "Christians" here don't have your faith and conviction and so we fail.

i cannot speak for others here but the way i see it theres no argument here. you believe in the literal interpretation and this great..but there's not any room for debate there. it is your truth.

The way i started looking at it was i work my way from middle outward. Basically Jesus being the most important and then everything secondary...its not the "right" way..but the Lord gave me this questioning mind for a reason..and i have to question things.

i see a lot of things that don't make sense...and i understand your pov that because i don't understand doesn't mean anything cuz i can't think like God.

that being said...one thing i can't understand is the placing of the tree in the garden. also the act of sinning before we have knowledge...add to that the fact that we were tricked by the dragon. can you explain this to me in a way that doesn't involve a "that's just the way it was" answer? thanks in advance.
Message 77 of 95 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6477 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

NikeMurphDawg wrote:

These are not isolated.

So nobody wanted to kill moses.???  ok and the hebrew beilefs  in those  time where not death sentences in those times. Then why  were they on the  run  like chicken  from wolves? It say  to me  he and them where being hunted. Trust me people in those times  folks  wrote things down before was moses born,    god  made  man law  with  adam and eve then with abraham and  before  him/ them  with  earth  and before  earth the  unviverse etc etc etc.

God is the killer from the  start in order to have  light it has  to made from dark.. Darkness  come before light . Thats  fact in every way you look at it. In order to be born from it,  you have to be part of it,Thus the expresin from dawn to dusk"  death is part of  everything  just like life, so is darkness and light.. Good/bad  a,k.a ying and yang.

god created the  heaven before he created adam and eve..  Lets  go the book of  geneisis

1:1] In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth
[1:2] the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters[1:3] Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light .( This explains that   earth was in space and every thing was made from dark ness  then  he made  light. (life)
[1:4] And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness... ( this tell you right there he spereate life and death/  right and wrong.).

[1:27] So God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

it doesnt say till later in chapter two of genesis the introduction of adam and eve the 2  perfect humans.. now even then the  6th day which  is 2  days  after he created animals  man  was around..I dont know if that 1.9 billion years  in god times ok.. not being rude or sarcastic

One thing  about god word its ment like its said.  The bible is written like this for  reason/ God word is said in way for a reason.. I cant scramble for my favor.

[1:25] God made the wild animals of the earth of every kind, and the cattle of every kind, and everything that creeps upon the ground of every kind. And God saw that it was good

^^ This is before man, this proves dinosaurs where before man and man was  around in some form when dinosuars where on earth in some form .A dinosaur is a animal

Agn  i dont know if 2 days= 1.9 billion years in god time. I just see it as 2 day becuase  hey im  a simple human, But  it could be 1.9 rounded  equals 2.. So you  never know

Sin does not equal  not equal death out right but leads to hell if the person dont repent. Becuase  God is  the killer From the  start   verse below

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up

As you can  see it says  time to kill ..  Like it  said  god made us in his image and he killed so when we  sin its not death outright because God does forgive  if we  repent  and  honestly in our hearts& in mind  are sorry for it> sometime you have to kill and to sin to save your life.

But it showed   where god right and wrong in a way.. The passage.. sorry to turn the  thread in to bible study  lol

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 78 of 95 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3589 posts

May 9, 2013
Just the word "RIGHT" itself has so many misinterpretations and double meanings. For example, take the movie SwordFish, the Awesome villain was always for a "greater good" and viewed himself as "doing the right thing", regardless of all the acts of terrorism and killings he has done in his career. So no, right and wrong is not clearly defined.
Message 79 of 95 (268 Views)
Welcoming Committee
33162 posts

May 9, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Ya, I was going to say, there is 0 evidence of humans existing with dinosouars. Not to mention...the bible was compiled hundreds of years after the death of Jesus because they needed all the rules and official doctrine compiled all in one place because things were getting twisted even back then. Theres so much missing its not even funny.

Supposedly the dinosaur fossils were first discovered within the last couple hundred years.  Supposedly nobody in "back then" times would even know what a dinosaur was.  So the vivid description of a brontosaurus in the Book of Job puts that whole line of thinking into question.

Look up dinorsaur carvings in Cambodia.  There are detailed ancient carvings of dinosaurs.  Not only that, but some of the carvings show people attacking dinosaurs with spears.  Others show people riding dinosaurs.

NOT ONLY THAT, but some of the dinosaurs depicted are the kind where there are no such fossils in Cambodia.

Please explain to me where an ancient artist in Cambodia found the inspiration to carve an accurate picture of a stegasaurus.  Unless maybe he saw such a thing in real life?

Message 80 of 95 (35 Views)
0 Likes