May 12 2013
By: theman_714 Hekseville Citizen 363 posts

Is the Star Wars Bluray set region free?

11 replies 262 views Edited May 12, 2013

I was planing to buy the Star Wars bluray set from the united states version of Amazon, but I was wondering if the set is region free or not, because last time I bought a bluray from them they said it was region free but turned out to be region locked, and I've been going on forums and watching Youtube videos saying that they are in fact region free while the website states otherwise.

Can anyone who bought it from the US version of Amazon confirm that it is indeed region free?

Message 1 of 12 (262 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39473 posts

Re: Is the Star Wars Bluray set region free?

May 12, 2013

theman_714 wrote:

I was planing to buy the Star Wars bluray set from the united states version of Amazon, but I was wondering if the set is region free or not, because last time I bought a bluray from them they said it was region free but turned out to be region locked, and I've been going on forums and watching Youtube videos saying that they are in fact region free while the website states otherwise.

Can anyone who bought it from the US version of Amazon confirm that it is indeed region free?

I'm slightly unsure which 'set' it is you're referring to, looking at Amazon brings up a few Blu-Ray 'sets', but in any event it says Region 1 - USA, so I assume you would require a multi-region DVD/Blu-Ray player to play them on.

Also Amazon states that virtually all of the DVD's & Blu-Rays they aell are Region 1 unless otherwise specified.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 12 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 12, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

theman_714 wrote:

I'm slightly unsure which 'set' it is you're referring to, looking at Amazon brings up a few Blu-Ray 'sets', but in any event it says Region 1 - USA, so I assume you would require a multi-region DVD/Blu-Ray player to play them on.

Also Amazon states that virtually all of the DVD's & Blu-Rays they aell are Region 1 unless otherwise specified.

BRIT-KO

I was referring to the Complete set (Episodes 1-6) 

the reason why I don't trust the amazon discribtion is because I bought a bluray from them before (Breaking Bad season 1) which they said (and still say) that it's region free, yet when I bought it it turned out to be region 1 which I was kinda upset about since my PS3 can't play region 1 blurays, that's why I wanted to confirm it with other people who bought it from the site, so far from what I gathered, a few people say it is in fact region free (it's even stated on Bluray Dot com that is region free) but still, I wanted to be extra sure since this is a pretty big investment for me (I'll be shipping it to Saudi Arabia where I live so it will be really expensive)

but thank you for your help BRIT-KO, you're pretty helpful round here, I see you a lot ^_^

Message 3 of 12 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

May 12, 2013

Copyright laws are crazy to me. If you buy a DVD legitimately, you should be able to play it in any country you go to. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 12 (250 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 12, 2013

JulianMatisse wrote:

Copyright laws are crazy to me. If you buy a DVD legitimately, you should be able to play it in any country you go to. 

ugh, you have no idea dude, I don't really want to invest in a bluray player either so that's why I rely on my PS3 for that

Message 5 of 12 (246 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39473 posts

May 12, 2013

theman_714 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

theman_714 wrote:

BRIT-KO

the reason why I don't trust the amazon discribtion is because I bought a bluray from them before (Breaking Bad season 1) which they said (and still say) that it's region free, yet when I bought it it turned out to be region 1 which I was kinda upset about since my PS3 can't play region 1 blurays, that's why I wanted to confirm it with other people who bought it from the site, so far from what I gathered, a few people say it is in fact region free (it's even stated on Bluray Dot com that is region free) but still, I wanted to be extra sure since this is a pretty big investment for me (I'll be shipping it to Saudi Arabia where I live so it will be really expensive)

but thank you for your help BRIT-KO, you're pretty helpful round here, I see you a lot ^_^

This one?:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13683...

It says Region 1 in the description, but from your previosu experiences I understand your hesitation, especially bearing in mind the price too, could you perhaps contact Amazon support or maybe ask a question of one of the other actual purchasers listed & try to get an answer that way?

And thank you, i try Smiley Wink.

BRIT-KO

Message 6 of 12 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 12, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

theman_714 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

theman_714 wrote:

BRIT-KO

This one?:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13683...

It says Region 1 in the description, but from your previosu experiences I understand your hesitation, especially bearing in mind the price too, could you perhaps contact Amazon support or maybe ask a question of one of the other actual purchasers listed & try to get an answer that way?

BRIT-KO

yup, exactly that one, the thing is, I did ask them and pretty much got the same answer you gave me xD, but I didn't tell them that other purchasers said that their copies were region free so maybe I could tell them that, but hopefully I get some replies here, too. thanks for the help though ^_^

Message 7 of 12 (240 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39473 posts

May 12, 2013

theman_714 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

theman_714 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

theman_714 wrote:

BRIT-KO

This one?:

BRIT-KO

yup, exactly that one, the thing is, I did ask them and pretty much got the same answer you gave me xD, but I didn't tell them that other purchasers said that their copies were region free so maybe I could tell them that, but hopefully I get some replies here, too. thanks for the help though ^_^

You're welcome, sorry I couldn't do more.

BRIT-KO

Message 8 of 12 (237 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34135 posts

May 12, 2013

im not entirely sure, but i believe blu-ray discs are region free. i know this to be the case with games, i dont really see how or why it would be different for movies.

again, im not entirely sure.

Message 9 of 12 (226 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28842 posts

May 12, 2013

theman_714 wrote:

JulianMatisse wrote:

ugh, you have no idea dude, I don't really want to invest in a bluray player either so that's why I rely on my PS3 for that

They want you to buy it in your own country, because that's how they make money. There's also licensing and content laws that vary from country to country. So despite the popular belief of "it should be because it just should", it's not that easy.

Message 10 of 12 (217 Views)
0 Likes