Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
7240 posts

Re: Is anyone seeing this? I am done being quiet about it now.

Feb 4, 2013
Its not hard to make a billion accounts.
Ive discussed it with trawnza.
energy
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 16 (127 Views)
Welcoming Committee
32644 posts

Feb 4, 2013

It's a public forum.  If they are for the most part following the rules, then what is your damage?  Just about everyone has been "loosening up" a bit since we got back to Lithium.  It's nowhere near as lock-down as it once was.  So if a newbie says, "Hey you're a jerk," is that really such a comparable offense?  And if as you say they just disappear back into the woodwork, then even banning them is pointless.

And if a ban doesn't do the trick, what will?

This is not to say that I'm in favor of banning them.  No, not at all.  How can you reliably tell the difference between an actual Newbie and someone hacking the system to do a post-and-run?  Even if you had some way of reliably telling the difference by their posting style, they could just change their posting style to match that of the actual Newbies who don't fit the mold and don't get banned.

Moderators have rules too.  They can't just ban someone who seems suspicious.  And again, remember the banishment tool is useless against someone who posts once and then purposely never shows up again.

You can rant about this all you want, but I don't see an easy answer here.  OK let's say I agree with you that (oh i dunno how about) 65% of the new people registering are actually bots making a semi-controversial post and then disappearing completely.  Clearly that's too many and we need to stop this immediately!  And let's further say that all the Sony moderators and even Sony upper management agree with your assessment and have chosen you to plan our next course of action against this irritating threat to the forums.

What exactly is your master plan for fixing this?  In detail.  And remember, it can't make things nasty for genuine people trying to join the forums.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 16 (110 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Feb 4, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

It's a public forum.  If they are for the most part following the rules, then what is your damage?  Just about everyone has been "loosening up" a bit since we got back to Lithium.  It's nowhere near as lock-down as it once was.  So if a newbie says, "Hey you're a jerk," is that really such a comparable offense?  And if as you say they just disappear back into the woodwork, then even banning them is pointless.

And if a ban doesn't do the trick, what will?

This is not to say that I'm in favor of banning them.  No, not at all.  How can you reliably tell the difference between an actual Newbie and someone hacking the system to do a post-and-run?  Even if you had some way of reliably telling the difference by their posting style, they could just change their posting style to match that of the actual Newbies who don't fit the mold and don't get banned.

Moderators have rules too.  They can't just ban someone who seems suspicious.  And again, remember the banishment tool is useless against someone who posts once and then purposely never shows up again.

You can rant about this all you want, but I don't see an easy answer here.  OK let's say I agree with you that (oh i dunno how about) 65% of the new people registering are actually bots making a semi-controversial post and then disappearing completely.  Clearly that's too many and we need to stop this immediately!  And let's further say that all the Sony moderators and even Sony upper management agree with your assessment and have chosen you to plan our next course of action against this irritating threat to the forums.

What exactly is your master plan for fixing this?  In detail.  And remember, it can't make things nasty for genuine people trying to join the forums.

Your right DrG.  I am so so sorry to everyone I have angered.  I will stop this senseless rant and request a lock on this thread immediately.  

I must have had too much coffee and I apologize again for the disruption.  I have never proclaimed to be a mod or admin, and I hope that never was misunderstood as such.

Apologies to all.  Let's all just be friends and enjoy the Forum.

Welcome to all new members and apologies to both you and the long standing members.  I will not make any more waves.

Let's all just get along.:smileyhappy:

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 16 (99 Views)
PlayStation MVP
47334 posts

Feb 4, 2013

I've definately noticed a lot of the I've gameshared i've been hacked threads lately and it is annoying.  Not sure about a larger effort but i do see it.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 16 (89 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Without getting into it and whatnot I will simply say yes. I have noticed.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 16 (84 Views)
PlayStation Support
4434 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Since the thread seems to have run its course it will now be locked.

U--J

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 16 (68 Views)