Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 04/20/2010
Offline
140 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

I disagree, & for me this has nothing to do with freedom of speech or as some would argue the students right to express themselves, it's not a fashion show, they're there to learn not show off the latest in clothes, personally I'd like to see all schools adopt a school uniform policy, in my view it makes it far easier for both the parents & the child when there's a set dress code, it also cuts down on some of the bullying that goes on, I saw many times children being bullied because they had older style (read last seasons) sneakers or t-shirts & not the latest Nike's etc.

 

Just my 2 cents :smileywink:.

 

BRIT-KO


That's a red herring.  Styles of dress and freedom to wear clothing have nothing to do with learning.  How you feel about my clothing and the fact that you are distracted by it is not my fault and I should have no personal obligation to appease you.

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 48 (72 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2011
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
I don't think children should have rights, imo. Their brains aren't even fully developed. Their too immature, or wild, to use the rights correctly. In ND, kids were coming to school with shirts that had half naked women on them.

If your going to use your rights, be responsible about it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 48 (72 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 03/08/2013
Offline
761 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
im super confused here...the OP said public schools. im from TX and no public schools here make anybody wear a uniform. that's a private school thing. and here as i suspect is true for all public schools in the US the school board votes on what you can and cannot wear. when we were in a rural small town area it was pretty strict. i know that dudes couldn't wear earrings ( i remember specifically because i saw the teachers stop a guy in the hallway and confiscate his stud). dudes couldn't dye their hair..and girls couldn't dye their hair "un-natural" colors. dudes couldn't sag there jeans (football coach would come around from behind and pull pants up..hilarious by the way).

But when we moved to town..like only 30 miles away or so..it was really laid back. people had pink and blue hair..piercings everywhere...the broads here were almost naked most of the time. if they had a dress code i didn't notice it.
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 48 (71 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 04/20/2010
Offline
140 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
I don't think children should have rights, imo. Their brains aren't even fully developed. Their too immature, or wild, to use the rights correctly. In ND, kids were coming to school with shirts that had half naked women on them.

If your going to use your rights, be responsible about it.

That's awful.  You should have all the rights you want, regardless of age.  The caviat to this is you must be reasponsible with said rights through a basic set of simple principles: honor your agreements and don't harm others or their property.  That's it.  I'm a libertarian, so I believe in a government that only exists to protect life, liberty, and property and I believe that all action is voluntary.

 

Kids can grow up quick.  One of the first college classes I had, one of the top students in that class was a 12 year old kid.  The kid was brilliant, he was kind, polite, well spoken, and incredibly mature.  Quite frankly, he put my 18 year old self to shame.  I was able to vote, own a home, open a bank account, have a credit card, smoke, have sex, all these adult things and I had less maturity then this 12 year old kid.  These age limits are all arbitrary crap that some beurocrats came up with long ago, probably backed by some fudged studies that supported their agendas with little basis in fact.  I say, if the person can handle what they are doing, they should have every right to do it.  The flip side is, they should also be held accountable for their actions regardless of age as well.  This is what freedom means.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 48 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2011
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
Lauran - Yeah, some states actually haven't done this at all, but it may come in the future, or it may not. Just depends on how the state thinks about it. Arizona is getting filled with uniform required schools.

Public schools here do have uniforms, or just school shirts you have to wear, as well as charter and private schools here.I have been to schools where earrings and tattoos were prohibited, and, like a lot of jobs, you had to take the earrings out, or cover up the tattoos.

Young scholars I believe is a private school, and girls HAVE to have long hair, in a specific style. While guys HAVE to have short hair, in a specific style.

I have seen a lot of schools where sagged jeans, and un natural hair colors were not allowed. I used to go to one. Yeah, some schools are pretty laid back about just about everything.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 48 (64 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2011
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
So you think just because he is in college, that a 12 year old shouldn't be limited by his age?

So he should be able to own a gun, correct? Or go out and drink, and smoke a cig or two, correct? Maybe freedom of speech, yes, he deserves that, everyone deserves to speak their mind, regardless of age, but many of the rights were written by, and for, adults. Why is the voting age 18? Because a kid should not be able to vote for who runs this country, until he/she fully understands the world around them.

Your right Johngie, I won't disagree with you, I have seen many mature kids, a 14 year old graduated from my HS. But those aren't everywhere, those type of kids are pretty rare to find in the US today. Which is why, because the majority of children have shown how immature they can be, and the fact that their brains are not fully developed, they should be age restricted to many things.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 48 (57 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2010
Offline
5381 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

It has a lot to do how on well their parents are and how disciplined they are.  Which is rare to find  today.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 48 (54 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 04/20/2010
Offline
140 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
So you think just because he is in college, that a 12 year old shouldn't be limited by his age?

So he should be able to own a gun, correct? Or go out and drink, and smoke a cig or two, correct? Maybe freedom of speech, yes, he deserves that, everyone deserves to speak their mind, regardless of age, but many of the rights were written by, and for, adults. Why is the voting age 18? Because a kid should not be able to vote for who runs this country, until he/she fully understands the world around them.

Absolutely!  I think that 12 year old should be able to vote, own a gun, smoke and drink if he chooses to.  To repeat my previous point, he should also be held accountable for his actions in the same fashion as any adult current is today, but only if he hurts someone.

 

It's really unfortunate, I believe to a certain degree, classic cases of teenage angst are created through a lack of respect afforded to teenagers growing up, mostly be people they respect in their lives, but who come into a level of maturity where they realize that they themselves are not being afforded that same level of respect.  I believe, and have witnessed first hand many times, that if you treat a young person with respect and dignity, you will be utterly shocked at the level of maturity and responsibility they can and will display. 

 

Not saying all this in jest, or to argue, it's simply what I believe based on my experiences in the world.  Young people should be given way more respect then they currently get. 

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 48 (48 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 01/09/2010
Online
28633 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

I disagree, & for me this has nothing to do with freedom of speech or as some would argue the students right to express themselves, it's not a fashion show, they're there to learn not show off the latest in clothes, personally I'd like to see all schools adopt a school uniform policy, in my view it makes it far easier for both the parents & the child when there's a set dress code, it also cuts down on some of the bullying that goes on, I saw many times children being bullied because they had older style (read last seasons) sneakers or t-shirts & not the latest Nike's etc.

 

Just my 2 cents :smileywink:.

 

BRIT-KO


Kinda disagree here Krit. You made some valid points but I believe a bully will always bully. No matter what you dress students in, they will always find a way to pass judgment upon their peers. The clothes are not the root cause of bullying and therefore the bullying will continue, regardless of dress policy. No matter what clothing rules apply, students will always find ways to pass judgment upon each other.

 

 

 


That's ok, you're allowed lol :smileyhappy:.

i agree that a bully will generally always be a bully, but why give them that opportunity to have a dig at something else?
As some of you know i'm originally from the UK (England), I've resided in the US now for some years though, I went to Catholic schools for all of my schooling, be they infants, Junior & then Senior/Comprehensive School (High School) & i wore a set uniform at each one, I felt smart, especially at my last school, i wore dark grey pants, a white shirt, the school tie & a school blazer, don't get me wrong I was still picked on sometimes, it's almost part & parcel of school life to get into at least one fight or be the victim of something, but I still like the idea of schools having a unform (pun intended) policy.

BRIT-KO

 

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 48 (39 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2011
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

Wait a minute...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 48 (36 Views)
Reply
0 Likes