Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 07/23/2006
Online
2358 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
Well the first amendment argument doesn't fly because the school has every right to limit your rights as a child in order to educate you and keep you safe within the school grounds. This has been confirmed by the courts. As long as they do not complete remove your rights, it is constitutional.

Anyways, I have been in schools with dress code and don't really see the negative of dress codes. They remove part of the bullying aspect and make it harder for children to become targets of gangs.

In my city there are a lot of gangs that shoot kids and teens just for wearing the wrong colors. They never ask if you are infact a gang member or not, they just shoot or beat them up. The school dress codes here have actually saved kids from being victims of pointless gang wars.

When we talk about expression, there are still many ways that kids can express themselves with the uniform and within the uniform code. Everyone is unique and has their own style that can't be replicated. If you are talking about conforming to a certain style that someone else invented and made popular, and wearing that... Then how is that different from wearing a uniform?
mvpbluesigTheJLC.jpg
Message 21 of 48 (106 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/01/2012
Offline
254 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
Yeah because high school females don't take an hour to get ready in the morning, definitely not.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not German or Dutch! Elfen Lied is an anime!
Message 22 of 48 (105 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2011
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
Freedom of speech? Lol.

Kids wear dress code more now, because of things like school shootouts, and kids skipping school. So you guys only brought this on yourselves, for playing hooky.

The outfits help the staff identify the kids, it's also for your own safety, if someone kidnaps you, or something of the sort, they can identify you by your school uniform. In north dakota, when I went to HS there, they didn't have the dress code, and you could wear anything that was school appropriate, which was cool. But here in Arizona, you can't, for most schools anyway.

I don't really see the problem with that, though. Your only in school 7 hours a day, maybe a couple more, maybe a couple less. It's like having a job, you usually get a uniform that your required to wear for your job, but it only lasts about 8 hours of the day, and then you can go home, and change into anything you want.

It's school, you shouldn't be worried about how you look anyway, you should be worried about getting your work done, and finishing the day, just like a real job has you do.

Here where I live though, only a couple schools have a full uniform, the HS in BHC, and I think here in Phoenix, only requires you wear the school shirt.

It could be worse, we have a young scholars academy school here, and you have to have a certain hair style, you have to wear their shirts, slacks, and shoes, and even special socks I believe, in order to attend the school.

My cousin got expelled from there because he was not wearing the school shoes, now that is a little ridiculous, but a school shirt and slacks? I don't see the problem with it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









Message 23 of 48 (99 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/29/2009
Offline
1524 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

xElfenLied wrote:

DoubleO_seven wrote:

a bully is going to bully. It for the teachers to do the jobs, parents starting a home by teaching their kids its wrong and for other kids to step in or report to a teacher if they see it happening.  Im sure he knows it happens.   He said he never seen it about being about clothing which points to the fact he witnessed bullying.  Then went on to explain what it is more about. You are just going out of context now.


No I'm not. OP asked what do I think of school uniforms, and I've given my opinion, and why. I am still on topic. Don't get your knickers in a twist just because I don't agree with you.


There you go again, jumping the gun. Lol i have no problem with your opinion and havent once even try to get on you about it. You say things and it seems like you forgot what you have stated

 


xElfenLied wrote:

We wear school uniforms in the UK, and there is no bullying for what you're wearing

Just because you havent witnessed it doesnt mean it doesnt happen. The slightest stain on your pants can cause a bully to rant on you. which falls back to teachers,parents,and other kids stepping in if they see it

 


Would you rather cut about 30 minutes-1 hour off your morning routine, and get that extra bit of sleep, and just wear a uniform, or worry about what you wear?

My mom always told me to prepare the night before. Have your clothing set out, homework in my bag. Good to go. This isnt a really good debate.




xElfenLied wrote:
Yeah because high school females don't take an hour to get ready in the morning, definitely not.

Once again starts from the home. Parents need to stop being so care free. My sister always prepared with me the night because our parents made it that way. We were never late for school and never had problems in the morning. Never slept in because we wanted a "extra 30 minutes". these bad habbits need to stop.

video game instrumentals
https://soundcloud.com/cali9one2
Message 24 of 48 (94 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
33381 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

xElfenLied wrote:
Yeah because high school females don't take an hour to get ready in the morning, definitely not.

Whats wrong with waking up an hour early to prepare yourself for school anyway?? It shows responsibility i would be suprised if a girl DIDNT do anything and just threw on some random clothes and went to school. There is nothing wrong with waking up early to prepare for something that is the craziest thing i ever heard.


Message 25 of 48 (84 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/21/2007
Online
51454 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

More and more public schools are making dress codes which require shirts with collars ONLY and special kinda pants. Do you guys think this is fair?

I think this is not fair because this is USA and we have freedom of speech and forcing kids what to wear is NOT FAIR!!!


I do not agree with dress codes.

However, dress codes DO NOT violate any aspect of the first ammendment as you think it might.    Why do you think it violates your freedom of speech, under the first ammendment?

Message 26 of 48 (55 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2011
Offline
1468 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
Freedom of Speech, and Freedom to do and wear whatever you want, are two different things.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------









Message 27 of 48 (51 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2010
Offline
5381 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

More and more public schools are making dress codes which require shirts with collars ONLY and special kinda pants. Do you guys think this is fair?

I think this is not fair because this is USA and we have freedom of speech and forcing kids what to wear is NOT FAIR!!!


I do not agree with dress codes.

However, dress codes DO NOT violate any aspect of the first ammendment as you think it might.    Why do you think it violates your freedom of speech, under the first ammendment?


Because PILGRAM....he thinks the term, "NOT FAIR" actually falls under the  freedom of speech act, but doesn't get it! 

Message 28 of 48 (51 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Offline
6593 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

 anyone under 18 dont have real rights. there are consider children and under moral law which guideline set the place of acceptance..  Just like a few years ago alot cities pass a moral law a child under 13 couldnt go into stores with out a adult.. Stores a can have that law/rules.

 

 School have the right to place moral  law/rules in place of learning that goes for everyone there including the teachers. Its  teaches self decenty it's nothing to hinder self expression or making children act  certain way.. Moral is about self decenty  which is what schools are suppose to  teach the children// the  onl right children under 18 have  are  human rights and moral rights  you dont get all your right till your 18 sometimes 21 depending where you are.

 

  Becuase its alot things you cannot do becuase they have moral laws in place to protect  the human right  laws of person under 18/21 .  a person under 18 cant vote.,  cant drink  or smoke., drive car without a adult.  cant go to a  adult night club.  cant check in a hotel , cant date man  man 21 if they under 17-18,  an adult/parent cannot leave a child under 12-13 at home alone becuas eit not safe they willbe with  with child negelct ,etc etc//

 

 Btw clothing dnt make the man. the man make the clothing .  Instead fot what to wear fight  for better education and better school food.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 29 of 48 (43 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 04/20/2010
Offline
174 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

I don't like it, and I certainly don't think it's fair, but this is what you get in PUBLIC school.  You don't have a say, and you certainly don't have rights as students in the school.  You would think that you do, but here's the halarious rationalle used, by restricting your own rights to wear your hair, clothes, etc. the way that you want, they are protecting other students!  You see, you could become a distraction in the learning environment, you could offend other students, again, becoming a distraction, you could make other less fortunate students feel bad about themselves because they can't afford your trendy clothes, so you have to wear a uniform.  This would all be fine with me, if you or your parents had a choice as to if you had to go to that school.  If public school is your only option, which for most parents, reasonably it is, you are forced to abide by the dictates of the administrators and therefore you really have no say.

 

If the marketplace in education had more options, you would have more competition and more reasonable alternatives.  Free Market options beat out public options anyday, in a true free market, not the limited free market we have today that is heavy in regulation and corruption.

Message 30 of 48 (36 Views)
Reply
0 Likes