Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/29/2009
Offline
1616 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

xElfenLied wrote:\


You American's are always so ridiculous when it comes to 'freedom of speech'. Wearing a uniform is nothing to do with freedom of speech, that's expressing the person you are with the type of clothes you wear!


The First Amendment "freedom of “speech applies not just to verbal speech but to various forms of expression

Message 11 of 48 (109 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/01/2012
Offline
254 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
Most of you guys don't even know what freedom of speech is. You use the term too loosely.

If America has freedom of speech, why do you have laws?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not German or Dutch! Elfen Lied is an anime!
Message 12 of 48 (102 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/29/2009
Offline
1616 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

I disagree, & for me this has nothing to do with freedom of speech or as some would argue the students right to express themselves, it's not a fashion show, they're there to learn not show off the latest in clothes, personally I'd like to see all schools adopt a school uniform policy, in my view it makes it far easier for both the parents & the child when there's a set dress code, it also cuts down on some of the bullying that goes on, I saw many times children being bullied because they had older style (read last seasons) sneakers or t-shirts & not the latest Nike's etc.

 

Just my 2 cents Smiley Wink.

 

BRIT-KO


Kinda disagree here Krit. You made some valid points but I believe a bully will always bully. No matter what you dress students in, they will always find a way to pass judgment upon their peers. The clothes are not the root cause of bullying and therefore the bullying will continue, regardless of dress policy. No matter what clothing rules apply, students will always find ways to pass judgment upon each other.

 

 

 


xElfenLied wrote:
Most of you guys don't even know what freedom of speech is. You use the term too loosely.

If America has freedom of speech, why do you have laws?

 Ok. Well this topic is about dress codes in public schools. Reasons why you think one should exist or not. You are derailing this thread and going in a whole another direction making it about freedom of speech and laws. I notice alot of these forums threads take a turn for a worst. Make a topic if you want a answer to your question. Im sure it will be a good one

 

 

Message 13 of 48 (99 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/01/2012
Offline
254 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
I have my freedom of speech, I can say what I want.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not German or Dutch! Elfen Lied is an anime!
Message 14 of 48 (95 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 02/17/2010
Online
9153 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

Living in a society that promotes individuality it's only natural that there are no dress codes in schools in my country. I wouldn't want that, because I like to express myself with clothing. The way you dress tells a lot about who you are, and it's easier for other people to label you and if they share similar interests, it's easier for them to come at you and talk to you.

 

Of course, I'm not saying that labeling is a good thing, because I and many others don't want to be put inside a box and have a label put on us. But ultimately labeling is inevitable. Heck, everybody labels everyone when they're intuitively deciding what kind of person someone is. 

 

Many people who support dress codes in schools say it prevents bullying, but I beg to differ. In my 13 years in public schools I've never witnessed anyone getting picked on how they dress. The physical characteristics cause more bullying than anything else, and no dress code helps in that. If you are fat, wear glasses, have a speech impediment, are particularly shy, you are prone to be bullied in public schools. As "007" said above, no matter what rule of clothing applies, kids will always find reasons to pick on somebody. 

id 69 signature


  "How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 15 of 48 (86 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/01/2012
Offline
254 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
Just because you've never seen it happen, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You may have never witnessed a car crash, but you know car crashes happen, it's always on the news, it's always reported.
Bullying is also always talked about and reported.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not German or Dutch! Elfen Lied is an anime!
Message 16 of 48 (79 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 04/21/2000
Offline
10011 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013
I like the dress codes it makes things look more organized
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 17 of 48 (67 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/29/2009
Offline
1616 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

a bully is going to bully. It for the teachers to do the jobs, parents starting at home by teaching their kids its wrong and for other kids to step in or report to a teacher if they see it happening.  Im sure he knows it happens.   He said he never seen it about being about clothing which points to the fact he witnessed bullying.  Then went on to explain what it is more about to back his statement. You are just going out of context now.

Message 18 of 48 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 08/01/2012
Offline
254 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

a bully is going to bully. It for the teachers to do the jobs, parents starting a home by teaching their kids its wrong and for other kids to step in or report to a teacher if they see it happening.  Im sure he knows it happens.   He said he never seen it about being about clothing which points to the fact he witnessed bullying.  Then went on to explain what it is more about. You are just going out of context now.


No I'm not. OP asked what do I think of school uniforms, and I've given my opinion, and why. I am still on topic. Don't get your knickers in a twist just because I don't agree with you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not German or Dutch! Elfen Lied is an anime!
Message 19 of 48 (58 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
37245 posts
 

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

a bully is going to bully. It for the teachers to do the jobs, parents starting at home by teaching their kids its wrong and for other kids to step in or report to a teacher if they see it happening.  Im sure he knows it happens.   He said he never seen it about being about clothing which points to the fact he witnessed bullying.  Then went on to explain what it is more about to back his statement. You are just going out of context now.


I agree a bully is going to be a bully no matter what you wear.. I dont really think bullies care what people wear, they just need to find something to pick on somebody, and if its not someone clothes it will be a hairstyle or something.

And whoever said it takes them a half hour to an hour to pick an outfit then wow you must have a huge closet.

Dress codes is just another way to turn people into robots and make them feel ok about it.


Message 20 of 48 (47 Views)
Reply
0 Likes