Apr 24 2013
By: HiTmAN_90 VP of Gaming 37015 posts

Is a dress code in public schools fair?

47 replies 205 views Edited Apr 24, 2013

More and more public schools are making dress codes which require shirts with collars ONLY and special kinda pants. Do you guys think this is fair?

I think this is not fair because this is USA and we have freedom of speech and forcing kids what to wear is NOT FAIR!!!

Message 1 of 48 (205 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39516 posts

Re: Is a dress code in public schools fair?

Apr 24, 2013

I disagree, & for me this has nothing to do with freedom of speech or as some would argue the students right to express themselves, it's not a fashion show, they're there to learn not show off the latest in clothes, personally I'd like to see all schools adopt a school uniform policy, in my view it makes it far easier for both the parents & the child when there's a set dress code, it also cuts down on some of the bullying that goes on, I saw many times children being bullied because they had older style (read last seasons) sneakers or t-shirts & not the latest Nike's etc.

Just my 2 cents Smiley Wink.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 48 (202 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Apr 24, 2013
I agree with brit this has nothing to do with freedoms, it just one less thing for bullies to feed on plus you miss the bus less when you dont have to decide what to wear XD
Message 3 of 48 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
9347 posts

Apr 24, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

More and more public schools are making dress codes which require shirts with collars ONLY and special kinda pants. Do you guys think this is fair?

I think this is not fair because this is USA and we have freedom of speech and forcing kids what to wear is NOT FAIR!!!

FIRST AMENDMENT

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

le-sigh.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 4 of 48 (194 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
2943 posts

Apr 24, 2013

I personally don't see a problem with dress codes. The high school I went to had one (albeit a very laid back one. We just had to wear a polo + jeans / khakis.) and it wasn't hindering to anything. Some kids made a big deal about it, but they were also the ones that wanted to wear belly shirts during a 20 degree day. Personally I don't see a problem in it. 

Message 5 of 48 (187 Views)
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Apr 24, 2013
It's always been like this here in Brazil.
Message 6 of 48 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
254 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

We wear school uniforms in the UK, and there is no bullying for what you're wearing, because every other kid is the same. It's also easier to identify a child that's traveling to or from school on buses for example, giving abuse to old ladies and such, as they can tell which school the kid came from. Not to mention, on school trips, it's easier to round everyone up as you can spot their uniform, rather than losing people in the crowds in museums and such.

Would you rather cut about 30 minutes-1 hour off your morning routine, and get that extra bit of sleep, and just wear a uniform, or worry about what you wear?

You American's are always so ridiculous when it comes to 'freedom of speech'. Wearing a uniform is nothing to do with freedom of speech, that's expressing the person you are with the type of clothes you wear!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not German or Dutch! Elfen Lied is an anime!
Message 7 of 48 (182 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Apr 24, 2013
I wish we had a dress code...you see how some of these kids dress these days.

I could picture the OP walking into a court room, wearing flip flops and shorts. His defense will be, "NOT FAIR". Judge will just laugh!

But, doesn't have anything to do with freedom of speech...you're none american anyways...why do you care about america school system.
Message 8 of 48 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1616 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 24, 2013

Strictly enforcing a dress code in high school negates a fundamental principle being taught at that time: self-exploration and self-expression. It's just bogus attempts to force covering up. It goes beyond the bounds of reasonable prudence, and really just serves to inhibit personal development. You can still enforce dress code without dressing everyone up the exact same way.  We need competent young people to move us toward a more just society. Schools need to move away from conformity to adaptability. Instead of suppressing students, schools should promote the development of individuality and voice to better prepare them for life after school. This means dress codes have no place in schools.

Message 9 of 48 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
254 posts

Apr 24, 2013
You're all missing out here. It's cheaper to have a school uniform than 5 different outfits a week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not German or Dutch! Elfen Lied is an anime!
Message 10 of 48 (147 Views)