Aug 23 2013
By: dulun18 Limit Breaker 22834 posts

Is Glock 23 Gen 3 (used) for $400 a good price?

17 replies 143 views Edited Aug 23, 2013

I'm a newbie to gun.. but wanted one  since it's Gun free state here..

No permit or license required here..

I'm buying this gun from an ex-military friend of mine.. he has about 38 guns (handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc.)

I was told that this is one of his handguns.. he fired like 100 bullets using this gun

The price is $400  for the gun with 3 magazines, box and everything.. he will also include a laser sight and some spare bullets that he has for the gun..

any gun expert here?  is this a good deal?

this is probably my first and only gun.. it's not going to be a hobby of sort (hope not).. it's just something i want to have in the house in case there's a need..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 18 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Re: Is Glock 23 Gen 3 (used) for $400 a good price?

Aug 23, 2013
I think they go for about $500 new, so that doesn't sound like too bad a deal, especially lightly used with 3 mags, a laser sight and some bullets.

If he's a good friend, trust him and go for it. If he's more of an acquaintance, offer him $300 and try to settle for $350.

Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
213 posts

Aug 23, 2013

dulun18 wrote:

this is probably my first and only gun.. it's not going to be a hobby of sort (hope not).. it's just something i want to have in the house in case there's a need..

you should go to a shooting range, for whatever gun you get, to become used to shooting it should the need arise.

Message 3 of 18 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Aug 24, 2013

WARNING:  Do not fire homemade rounds in this firearm; there have been reports of Glock 23s blowing up from firing sloppy ammo.

Second, they're not "bullets" they're "rounds."  The "bullet" is the metal slug that is propelled down the barrel by the gunpowder.

Second, know what the hell you're doing with a firearm.  If you're buying one, then you've decided it's worth having in the event of a bad situation.  And if you think it may come to that, then you need to be prepared.  Learn that thing and understand it.  Take it apart, clean it, study the parts, and put it back together.  You have decided to buy it for self defense, and your life may someday depend on it.

Do NOT be like most civilians I see handling weapons.  The Marine Corps has four basic safety rules:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.

2. Do not point the weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.

3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

4. Keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

For the purposes of a Glock, rules #3 and #4 are the same.  The safety on that weapon is integrated into the trigger.

The only change I would make is to get a .45 ACP pistol instead of a .40 S&W.

Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Message 4 of 18 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22834 posts

Aug 24, 2013

wswartzendruber wrote:

WARNING:  Do not fire homemade rounds in this firearm; there have been reports of Glock 23s blowing up from firing sloppy ammo.

Second, they're not "bullets" they're "rounds."  The "bullet" is the metal slug that is propelled down the barrel by the gunpowder.

Second, know what the hell you're doing with a firearm.  If you're buying one, then you've decided it's worth having in the event of a bad situation.  And if you think it may come to that, then you need to be prepared.  Learn that thing and understand it.  Take it apart, clean it, study the parts, and put it back together.  You have decided to buy it for self defense, and your life may someday depend on it.

Do NOT be like most civilians I see handling weapons.  The Marine Corps has four basic safety rules:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.

2. Do not point the weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.

3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

4. Keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

For the purposes of a Glock, rules #3 and #4 are the same.  The safety on that weapon is integrated into the trigger.

The only change I would make is to get a .45 ACP pistol instead of a .40 S&W.

Thank you Smiley Happy  a lot of useful tips here

there was no instruction manual included..  Smiley Sad so i have to look online for the PDF version or youtube to how to take apart this gun..

originally.. i wanted a 9mm to start with.. but the gun is $550 with tax and fees.. shipgint $600-ish..  that's how i ended up with the Glock 23 instead..

I'm heading to the shooting range next week to learn from the professional on how to fired and used the gun.  My friend has a membership there so it will be free for me.

I'll learn about gun safety and how to take apart the gun/ put it back and then maintenance..

but what about bullets??   (rounds??)   what bullets can i use? and what i can not use?

can i use 9mm bullets in this Glock 23?   i heard that for Glock guns it's best to avoid LEAD bullets??   is it true?  and something about GRAIN??    lower  GRAIN for practice and  higher GRAIN for defense purposes since it will penetrate deeper??.

and the best place to buy bullets?  i was told to buy it in pack of 50 or 100 since it will be cheaper..

Message 5 of 18 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22834 posts

Aug 24, 2013

taker-77 wrote:
I think they go for about $500 new, so that doesn't sound like too bad a deal, especially lightly used with 3 mags, a laser sight and some bullets.

If he's a good friend, trust him and go for it. If he's more of an acquaintance, offer him $300 and try to settle for $350.

Smiley Wink

Those Gen 4 one are like $550 .. but they stated that the design for the Gen 4 is much nicer.. easy to hold and less recoil due to the double spring .. or something..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwHkBvzJZg

Message 6 of 18 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Aug 24, 2013

I think that it is a 40 cal, so that's what you'll want to use. Also, I believe the poster above was talking about hand loaded rounds, as in ones you load yourself. It doesn't sound like this will be an issue for you.

As far as buying ammunition, buying in bulk is cheaper. Try checking out Cheaper Than Dirt for bulk ammo. For personal defense, I like Hornady. Just don't target shoot with it. Buy something cheap for that.

Grain refers to the weight of the bullet. A lower grain will travel fast but have less impact, while a higher grain is slower but has a higher impact.

Oh, and here is the Unofficial Glock Armorer's Manual in a PDF. It should cover whatever you want to know.

Message 7 of 18 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22834 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2013

taker-77 wrote:

I think that it is a 40 cal, so that's what you'll want to use. Also, I believe the poster above was talking about hand loaded rounds, as in ones you load yourself. It doesn't sound like this will be an issue for you.

As far as buying ammunition, buying in bulk is cheaper. Try checking out Cheaper Than Dirt for bulk ammo. For personal defense, I like Hornady. Just don't target shoot with it. Buy something cheap for that.

Grain refers to the weight of the bullet. A lower grain will travel fast but have less impact, while a higher grain is slower but has a higher impact.

Oh, and here is the Unofficial Glock Armorer's Manual in a PDF. It should cover whatever you want to know.

I took apart the gun.. and .. i guess there are 4 major parts? 

i looked it up (part order from from Glock)  the barrel is $125? 

the bottom part is plastic just like the magazines.. always thought that  it's metal.. but it guess it's not

Glock 23

Message 8 of 18 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7024 posts

Aug 24, 2013

dulun18 wrote:

I'm a newbie to gun.. but wanted one  since it's Gun free state here..

No permit or license required here..

I'm buying this gun from an ex-military friend of mine.. he has about 38 guns (handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc.)

I was told that this is one of his handguns.. he fired like 100 bullets using this gun

The price is $400  for the gun with 3 magazines, box and everything.. he will also include a laser sight and some spare bullets that he has for the gun..

any gun expert here?  is this a good deal?

So many better guns in gloc family to buy in my  honest opinion, i would not  touch with anything after the the clock 19 , 16, 17 and 18 being the best they have in my opinion. If its for  home protection.  Go buy a shotgun or pump action shot gun.. cant go wrong with that.

If its your 1st gun, i would get a shot gun, . something   that actually defend those glock break or have alot of problems. none will sell you a gun for cheap unless  they a issue with it ( personal or private)..  He could sell it back to the stores and  get 400 for it.?  So i would say be careful.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 9 of 18 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7024 posts

Aug 24, 2013

dulun18 wrote:

taker-77 wrote:

I took apart the gun.. and .. i guess there are 4 major parts? 

i looked it up (part order from from Glock)  the barrel is $125? 

the bottom part is plastic just like the magazines.. always thought that  it's metal.. but it guess it's not

Glock 23

gloc got popular becuase it was made out of plastic ( more concealable because it made out of plastic).  plastic last longer and is  some what better than metal  made guns  from my understanding.

I dont buy  glocks though they break to much. if it  nt 16-19 i wouldnt even look at it.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 10 of 18 (65 Views)
0 Likes