Splicer
67 posts

Re: Is Disney going to ruin Star Wars?

Mar 7, 2014

I'm sure there will be some bad and some good, I for one don't want to see it die. I enjoy the Marvel movies a lot and hope Star Wars do well also.

Message 11 of 49 (113 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1102 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 7, 2014

Star Wars ruined star wars.  The 3 prequel films were just terrible in comparison.   Maybe if they'd of cast them better, instead of LITERALLY picking up people off the street.  Like that no acting dude they got for the older Anakin.  Hey, ur cute, play a young Vader.  That kid killed that movie. 

~~~~~~~~~ Show No Fear - Fortune Favors The Bold! ~~~~~~~~~
Message 12 of 49 (110 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Mar 7, 2014

Star Wars is over rated anyway, at it's core principles you can't "ruin" much.

The original trilogy, though good, isn't even as great as everyone tries to say.

The first film "A New Hope" was good and introduced many cool concepts. The Empire Strikes Back was the only legitimately "great film" in the entire franchise and "The Return of the Jedi" was pretty crappy and ultimately revealed the true nature of the IP. 

Fanboys/girls can get into lengthy pseudo-intellectual conversations about various plot elements and name drop Joseph Campbell during the discussion, but the reality is Star Was was always just about merchandising. Even though I enjoyed the first two films (as in Episodes IV and V), even those had characters like R2D2, the Jawas and AT-ATs, all ripe for toy merchandising. The entire francise was set up to make money and appeal to children first and foremost, everything else was an after thought. Each film that is released only reinforces this because of how aggresive the merchindising campaigns are (especially with how they are targeted at children).

Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing per-say. It's a good idea for any capitalist. There is also lots of cool stuff going on in the films I, or no one can deny. It's just people need to realize Disney is going to do the same thing with Star Wars that Lucas did and that's bleed that baby for every dime it's worth. So there is nothing to "ruin" since you would actively have to try and ruin it and that's next to impossible since kids just eat this stuff up.

In fact I'd say the only real way to "ruin" what Star Wars has going for it is to actually make the film that all the adult fans would want to see since it would probably be too serious and dark for young audiences.

I for one would like to see a film about Yoda in his youth, but instead of being the Yoda we all know and love he would be a Sith that later makes a heel-face turn. Thus explaining why he knows so much about "the dark side". Of course this won't happen.

I love JRPGs, but hate anime... Is that legal?
Message 13 of 49 (104 Views)
Fender Bender
3416 posts

Mar 7, 2014
I didn't mind the prequels that much. We finally got the info that we needed to fill in the rest of the gaps. I agree with wanting to see a more mature take on star award. But let's not forget how awesome and kid friendly that first toad puppet was. Obviously prequels aren't as good. But I loved seeing today fight with that green light saber. Overall it should probly be left alone. But I'll probly still go see the new one because I'm so invested in the universe. Let's hope it's like the first abram startrek and not the second one. Is this new bout of star wars a trilogy?
guitar guru 2012
Message 14 of 49 (101 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28846 posts

Mar 7, 2014

Brink-2-Chaos wrote:

lucas already butcherd his auidence with the prequel trilogy And JJ has really jeopordized Star trek with that Alternate timeline Khan B.S

I don't know if you're aware of this, but Star Trek was dead in the water until J. J. Abrams made that first movie. I think Activision had at one time sued Paramount for letting the franchise stagnate. Abrams made Star Trek cool, and made it acceptable to like as a mainstream movie. Those Star Trek movies were pretty much test reels for Star Wars.

As for "ruining Star Wars', I wouldn't worry about that too much. George Lucas damaged the brand enough on his own by casting Hayden Christensen.

Message 15 of 49 (93 Views)
VP of Gaming
34136 posts

Mar 7, 2014

going to? they already have slowly started to.

Message 16 of 49 (90 Views)
Wastelander
575 posts

Mar 7, 2014

GrayGargoyle wrote:

J.J. Abrams made a decent entry in the Mission: Impossible series. Besides that, I'm not sure if we can trust that he'll do a fantastic job or not when it comes to Star Wars. The first Star Trek movie was all right, I thought. The second one wasn't up to the same standards. It was okay and everything, but wasn't as interesting without all the fun viewers had with meeting (or being reintroduced) to the charactes for the first time.

if you mean abrams' star trek movies, into darkness was great but for all of the wrong reasons. spock and kirk were far too developed and while it was definitely a good play to the fans, new comers to the series might've felt lost. i mean, they had basically only been on one voyage and that one wasn't so smooth. as far as storytelling goes, abrams let the star trek fandom kind of take the wheel on character development beyond where the film should have gone. it definitely appeared like they had already been a well established crew with great relationships after the previous fiasco, as if several movies interim were skipped.

as far as star wars goes, i doubt disney will bastardize the series. they have done plenty of works to a PG-13 audience and star wars really isn't much different. the only complaint might be that it's not the original star wars trilogy, in which case nothing since the original trilogy will ever be the original trilogy because the original trilogy is the only original **bleep** trilogy.

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 17 of 49 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5244 posts

Mar 7, 2014

Well he did also create Alias, Lost and Felicity so he can't be that bad at directing movies Smiley Tongue 

Your 1st and ONLY 2-Time 2013 Digital Lesuire's Queen Of War!!~~

Never ask questions you don't wanna know da answers to!!~~

You don't have 2 love me,You don't even have 2 like me, But you WILL Respect me!!~~

Loved by few, Hated by many, Respected by All!!~~

The Fear of Death, is far greater then Death itself,
The Fear of the Unknown is the greatest fear of them all!!

The Undertaker!!~~
Message 18 of 49 (73 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34136 posts

Mar 7, 2014

Jigsaw4422 wrote:

Well he did also create Alias, Lost and Felicity so he can't be that bad at directing movies Smiley Tongue 

except that the movies he directed were pretty "meh".

Cloverfield and both Star Treks. if it werent for all the viral marketing Cloverfield wouldnt have been so successful, and if it wasnt for the hype of the first Star Trek it wouldnt have been so successful; second Star Trek was nearly a flop.

Message 19 of 49 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5244 posts

Mar 7, 2014

the_original_se wrote:

Jigsaw4422 wrote:

except that the movies he directed were pretty "meh".

Cloverfield and both Star Treks. if it werent for all the viral marketing Cloverfield wouldnt have been so successful, and if it wasnt for the hype of the first Star Trek it wouldnt have been so successful; second Star Trek was nearly a flop.

Well star trek movies are blah anyways so lol

Your 1st and ONLY 2-Time 2013 Digital Lesuire's Queen Of War!!~~

Never ask questions you don't wanna know da answers to!!~~

You don't have 2 love me,You don't even have 2 like me, But you WILL Respect me!!~~

Loved by few, Hated by many, Respected by All!!~~

The Fear of Death, is far greater then Death itself,
The Fear of the Unknown is the greatest fear of them all!!

The Undertaker!!~~
Message 20 of 49 (107 Views)
0 Likes