Reply
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18928 posts
 

Re: Installing AIM on Mac OSX Version 10.4.8

Nov 14, 2006


albertbertal8 wrote:
So, I recently got a new macbook pro and I need help installing AIM on my Mac.  When I go to AIM.com, I click download AIM and it downloaded aim.bin to my computer.  When I click on it, it opens up microsoft excel and says "The operation could not be completed.  An unexpected error occured (error code- 10660)"  Any help would be appreciated.


You should try Adium out

http://www.adiumx.com/



7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 11 of 18 (5 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/20/2006
Offline
7698 posts
 

Re: Installing AIM on Mac OSX Version 10.4.8

Nov 15, 2006


SevenFactors wrote:


albertbertal8 wrote:
So, I recently got a new macbook pro and I need help installing AIM on my Mac.  When I go to AIM.com, I click download AIM and it downloaded aim.bin to my computer.  When I click on it, it opens up microsoft excel and says "The operation could not be completed.  An unexpected error occured (error code- 10660)"  Any help would be appreciated.


You should try Adium out

http://www.adiumx.com/





Yeah, but I want AIM and just AIM by itself, not one of those fancy programs that can run all three instant messengers.
Message 12 of 18 (5 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 01/24/2005
Offline
25087 posts
 

Re: Installing AIM on Mac OSX Version 10.4.8

Nov 15, 2006
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/stuffitexpander.html

open with that

then it's probably just a drag and drop install (drag AIM icon into "application" folder and it's installed)

think different
Message 13 of 18 (5 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18928 posts
 

Re: Installing AIM on Mac OSX Version 10.4.8

Nov 15, 2006


albertbertal8 wrote:


SevenFactors wrote:


albertbertal8 wrote:
So, I recently got a new macbook pro and I need help installing AIM on my Mac.  When I go to AIM.com, I click download AIM and it downloaded aim.bin to my computer.  When I click on it, it opens up microsoft excel and says "The operation could not be completed.  An unexpected error occured (error code- 10660)"  Any help would be appreciated.


You should try Adium out

http://www.adiumx.com/





Yeah, but I want AIM and just AIM by itself, not one of those fancy programs that can run all three instant messengers.


this software is made for Mac and mac only. This isn't your average multiprotocal IM software but to each their own.

Anyways, this is the link for AIM for mac http://www.aim.com/get_aim/mac/latest_macosx.adp I know that it isn't working but just give another try. If you've done this plenty of time then just contact them and see what's up.
7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 14 of 18 (5 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/25/2006
Offline
1757 posts
 

Re: Installing AIM on Mac OSX Version 10.4.8

Nov 15, 2006


albertbertal8 wrote:


sdobbs20 wrote:
can't you just use iChat?


Can iChat let you log onto AIM?  Sorry if this is a noob question, I just got my mac a couple of days ago.


Yep.as far as i know iChat uses the AIM network.
my wii friend code: ADD ME! 5992 2332 9248 8590
Then shoot me a PM so I can add You..Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 18 (5 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/20/2006
Offline
7698 posts
 

Re: Installing AIM on Mac OSX Version 10.4.8

Nov 15, 2006


sthpark7791 wrote:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/stuffitexpander.html

open with that

then it's probably just a drag and drop install (drag AIM icon into "application" folder and it's installed)


Okay, I used that and click the AIM installer but all it did was make an AIM icon installer on that bottom thing and when I click it, all it does is hop up and down...
Message 16 of 18 (5 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 10/08/2005
Offline
9425 posts
 

Re: Installing AIM on Mac OSX Version 10.4.8

Nov 15, 2006
AIM for Mac is one of the crappest programs for Mac. Please use iChat or Adium. They are 10 times better and better looking.
Message 17 of 18 (5 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/17/2005
Offline
3140 posts
 

Re: Installing AIM on Mac OSX Version 10.4.8

Nov 15, 2006


albertbertal8 wrote:
So, I recently got a new macbook pro and I need help installing AIM on my Mac.  When I go to AIM.com, I click download AIM and it downloaded aim.bin to my computer.  When I click on it, it opens up microsoft excel and says "The operation could not be completed.  An unexpected error occured (error code- 10660)"  Any help would be appreciated.


just use iChat, it allows you to log into virtualy any chat client server and chat with friends via a single program. aim.com should have the iChat server settings and pref. setups to connect to their server using iChat and should have directions to log on to your account
Message 18 of 18 (5 Views)
Reply
0 Likes