Fender Bender
4907 posts

Re: If you had the choice (college related)

Nov 21, 2006
Sorry if I am late on this.

I faced the same choice. I live in NYC and could have went to any Cuny

Instead I went about an hour away from home to live at Rutgers in NJ.

If I needed to go home, I was only an hour away.

Go away to college. You learn more by living on your own that you ever will in a classroom. You will become a more responsible, adjusted adult.

There are so many experiences (good and bad) that you will miss out on by staying home.

Cramming with friends at 4 AM, ordering pizza and chinese food after coming home drunk, Playing 4 way Goldeneye on N64 an hour before the Bio Final (We did that) and so on.

I wouldn't trade being away at college for 4 years for anything in the world. I wish I could go back now, just for a few days.

You will never be alone at college. You will meet thousands of new people and have times that you will always remember.

A dude who lived 2 doors away at college my freshman year is now a lifelong friend and we graduated 3 years ago and live 400 miles apart, yet we talk every day.

Hope this helps.
Remember kids: Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

Socom - Its like crack....only better
Message 31 of 36 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7656 posts

Nov 21, 2006

Ravage Ritual wrote:
2 choices

This is my dilema right now. Im not asking you to make the decision for me, im just asking you what you would do  

1) Go to a college 1 mile away (Lewis U), a good college, it costs $19,000 a year for 4-6 classes full time.

• Pros: You stay at home since its only a mile away, no need to pay for a dorm which means: No rent or bills to pay, good home made food, helpfulness of your parents, can spend your money on w/e you want because you dont have to pay for anything really
  • Cons: Less of a social life, your still at home, cant do w/e you want whenever you want becuase the elders will still have rules, its a private school (catholic) so not all the students will be like you (i listen to the "satanic" music and want to party)

2) Go to college an hour away (NIU) where a good friend just got accepted, good school, $15,000 a year to be a full time student and that includes a dorm (not a dry campus).

• Pros: You live in a dorm so theres more of a social life, more popular school, great college football team
  • Cons: Your away from home and have to fend for yourself and pay for everything, you wont have your parents there to help you out, you might get stuck with a idiot roomate (though there are single person dorms but thats no fun)

There is 1 major factor that i didnt mention and that is which would be better for me to go to, to follow my career of choice (something dealing with computers)

Im not sure which one would be better and im looking into that

Option two for the bolded reason above. You may become an outcast. I'd also hate to live with my parents. People always ask if I miss my parents back in the US, but I don't really. I like living my own life.  I know nothing about the schools academically, so you'll need to research that.
Message 32 of 36 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3517 posts

Nov 21, 2006

Go away to college. You learn more by living on your own that you ever will in a classroom. You will become a more responsible, adjusted adult.

There are so many experiences (good and bad) that you will miss out on by staying home.

Cramming with friends at 4 AM, ordering pizza and chinese food after coming home drunk, Playing 4 way Goldeneye on N64 an hour before the Bio Final (We did that) and so on.

I wouldn't trade being away at college for 4 years for anything in the world. I wish I could go back now, just for a few days.

You will never be alone at college. You will meet thousands of new people and have times that you will always remember.

A dude who lived 2 doors away at college my freshman year is now a lifelong friend and we graduated 3 years ago and live 400 miles apart, yet we talk every day.

Hope this helps. 

You make me **bleep**ing wish I'm in a college now, far far away from home........

Message 33 of 36 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Nov 21, 2006
The main thing is your major, that is your #1 thought. Your social life is gonna be better in the long run if you focus on your major.  Yeah I may sound like a parent nagging about stuff but I went to the best school in the state for radio broadcasting, I didnt know anyone in the town made awesome friends that are now all over the nation in radio that will help me jobwise. 

To get back to the point find the best place that is gonna offer you what you need to learn and thrive in computers, no matter if its networking,  web design, programming or any other computer related stuff. Email the people in the industry to see what they suggest you study. 

Hope this helps.
Message 34 of 36 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3299 posts

Nov 21, 2006
Go with Option #2.
Like another poster stated their are many reasons to go away to school, but make sure the school you want to go to offers everything you want in a school. If you are going just because your friend is going, then you need to find your own path.

I chose a school that was two hours from my home. I chose San Diego State which is a completely different world from where I grew up yet it was close enough for me to come home if I wanted to. Living in the dorms is a must because you meet the people that will become your friends for life. I talk to almost everyone I met every week, and we still meet up to do things. You also remember the experiences of living in the dorms, everything from cramming for finals to playing stupid pranks on each other. Dorms are social, and I feel are a big part of college life.

My advice about living with your friend is this: don't. I worked in the dorms and I saw this happen every year: If you live with someone you know you'll never leave your comfort zone and/or get fed up with them because you see them everyday. I would tell incoming freshmen to room with someone you don't know, you might meet a good friend, or they might get on your nerves but at least you have that experience.

Good luck with your choice
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 35 of 36 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13387 posts

Nov 21, 2006

LevityRU wrote:

Hope this helps.

Sounds nice

Im gonna check out NIU later today. Gonna email em and find out when an open house is and get some word on their programs. Right now im probably gonna go in a computer field but i also dont really know if thats something i want to make a career out of
Message 36 of 36 (1 View)
0 Likes