Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 03 2013
By: eastwoodnorris First Son 3 posts

Idea for PS4 Backwards Compatability

8 replies 163 views Edited Feb 3, 2013

So, Sony have made it clear that including backwards compatibility in their new systems would be too expensive and is generally impractical. However, with their investment in cloud gaming, it should be possible to stream games to consoles without a disc. PSN already knows the games you own based on your trophies, so why not give players access to those games that they owned for PS3 through a game streaming function on the PS4/Orbis. Even simpler would be giving players 1 free download of the titles they already own for PS3 when they purchase a PS4. PSN will obviously be able to recognize that the account has PS4 activity and it can ask if the player would like copies of their PS3 games on thei PS4, and if so, which ones. I know a few games I wouldn't really care about bringing to the PS4, but there are a few that I'm sure I'd like to be able to keep playing without having to go back to a separate system. Either a download, or a stream, both don't require special hardware to read the discs properly, and the games were already bought, so its not like Sony would be losing money in that deal. Just a thought for Sony, I hope I don't have to go back to my PS3 everytime I want to play The Last of Us OR pay for the full game a second time. 
Hopefully something to that end will be included. Looking forward to this fall

Message 1 of 9 (163 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Idea for PS4 Backwards Compatability

Feb 3, 2013
I agree that Sony will leverage Gaikai to let people stream digital games that they purchased on the PS3...
Message 2 of 9 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2607 posts

Feb 4, 2013

What I was thinking with Gaikai is that even if the PS4 is not backwards compatible, it should be at the very least be able to recongnize the game that is inside it. With it you can have your game streamed to you for no extra charge, since all it would need is verification from your PS4 that you have a PS3 game inside it and wish to play it using Gaikai.

Though part of me believes that the PS4 will have backwards compatibility in some way since if they didn't they are automatically cutting off one section of their store, PS2 Classics. PS2 Classics are redone to run on PS3 code, so if the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible in some way they are cutting off the ability to sell PS2 Classics to their new customers since those run on PS3 code and not PS4 code with out backwards compatibility.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 3 of 9 (123 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Bulletpainpills wrote:

What I was thinking with Gaikai is that even if the PS4 is not backwards compatible, it should be at the very least be able to recongnize the game that is inside it. With it you can have your game streamed to you for no extra charge, since all it would need is verification from your PS4 that you have a PS3 game inside it and wish to play it using Gaikai.

Though part of me believes that the PS4 will have backwards compatibility in some way since if they didn't they are automatically cutting off one section of their store, PS2 Classics. PS2 Classics are redone to run on PS3 code, so if the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible in some way they are cutting off the ability to sell PS2 Classics to their new customers since those run on PS3 code and not PS4 code with out backwards compatibility.

I certainly doubt that Sony is going to have some sort of verification system to be able to play PS2 games. They could have done that already, for the current PS2 classics available, but I think Sony would rather make money off them again.

I'm not sure how PS2 classics were recoded, but it could be recoded in such a way that it supports a particular protocal that would also be accessible on the PS4...

Message 4 of 9 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Idea for PS4 Backwards Compatibility

Jul 27, 2013

I have already called Sony about this exact idea. Also, for THE LAST OF US also, this is one game that I will play again every time a sequel is released.

lets all do our best to let SONY  know how awesome an idea this is.

Message 5 of 9 (86 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11436 posts

Jul 27, 2013

R.I.P. Logical Dolphin

R.I.P. Off-Topic.                  "Eerrrm."   -BRIT-KO, on the topic of 'johngie'.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget

Message 6 of 9 (83 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5498 posts

Jul 28, 2013

PS4 - GTA 5 with Gaiki and i'll be content

photo xMYwEGm_zpsd47ce352.jpg
Message 7 of 9 (65 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18768 posts

Jul 28, 2013

johngie wrote:

R.I.P. Logical Dolphin

They had to bring back the pain of losing Logical_Dolphin by bumping a thread he was in, didn't they? :smileysad:

Well, for all backwards compatibility, Gaikai plans to be used. We'll learn more about Gaikai in the future.

Message 8 of 9 (60 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5453 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

johngie wrote:

R.I.P. Logical Dolphin

They had to bring back the pain of losing Logical_Dolphin by bumping a thread he was in, didn't they? :smileysad:

Well, for all backwards compatibility, Gaikai plans to be used. We'll learn more about Gaikai in the future.

:smileysad:  It hurts me to see you guys miss him.  I wish I'd known him.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 9 of 9 (52 Views)
0 Likes