VP of Gaming
29427 posts

Re: ITT: We guess when Sony goes bankrupt ...

Jan 5, 2013

You do realize that Sony does more than make video games, don't you?

Have you been to the movies lately?

Message 11 of 20 (173 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Jan 6, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

to video game people, Sony = Sony Computer Entertainment. and yeah, most of the time they also forget Sony makes a lot of other things.

also, can subsidiaries even go bankrupt?

Message 12 of 20 (170 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29427 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 6, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

to video game people, Sony = Sony Computer Entertainment. and yeah, most of the time they also forget Sony makes a lot of other things.

Susidiaries can and often do lose money. They would probably divest themselves of the parts of the company that aren't doing well.

Message 13 of 20 (167 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Jan 6, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Susidiaries can and often do lose money. They would probably divest themselves of the parts of the company that aren't doing well.

i know they can lose money and shut down, but can they actually go bankrupt? im not one to be savy with corporate stuff so i dont know.

regardless, SCE is one of Sony's most profitable subsidiaries, i doubt Sony will let SCE die without a fight. and even if SCE somehow shoot itself in the foot with a failed system, they still have games and their own developers. so even if they are out of the console business they will still make games.

Message 14 of 20 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42173 posts

Jan 6, 2013
I think Sony would cut the TV division among other things before touching the movie/TV show and video game sections (I've read they also do insurance and some medical hardware which is fine for them?). Not sure how they're doing on other fronts though (VAIO, Walkman, Tablets, cellphones as I know they can make them now without Ericsson) but I've always thought their 'entertainment' divisions would be one of the last things touched if they had to start trimming the company and by then, they'd be more focused on those aspects after ditching something like TVs.

Message 15 of 20 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2146 posts

Jan 6, 2013

what people dont understand is that Sony might not be the only one wanting to use that feature.  Any game developer / company in there right mind would want to use this as well. that means from activision to nintendo.  

<br><br>what better way to secure your game sales than making people buy new games and not used.  dont be suprised if you see more companies doing it.  They already started it with the online pass, this is the next step.

I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 16 of 20 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42173 posts

Jan 6, 2013

spyder_21 wrote:

what people dont understand is that Sony might not be the only one wanting to use that feature.  Any game developer / company in there right mind would want to use this as well. that means from activision to nintendo.  

<br><br>what better way to secure your game sales than making people buy new games and not used.  dont be suprised if you see more companies doing it.  They already started it with the online pass, this is the next step.

The thing is, there have been rumors floating around about Microsoft (and Nintendo too I think) also looking the stuff (I know there have been rumors of MS's next console being '2nd hand' proof like the PS4 rumors too).  So people screaming doom & gloom about Sony for filing a patent (a lot of stuff gets patented and not used.  Just look at all the 'controller methods' that have been patented by the Big 3 this gen that haven't surfaced outside of those documents) for this is a bit much.  Publishers are making due with DLC and online passes (some in a horrible manner with stuff you got 'standard' in a game before this gen) as it is but if 2 of the 3 jump on 'proofing' their consoles in this manner, the publishers are more than likely going to back them cause this benefits them too (you have to buy their game name). 

The only way I see this hurting any console maker going forward is if they're the only one to do it and the publishers don't commit with exclusives to help balance out whatever ill-will is garnered from gamers (exclusives that mean you have to buy that console and those games new to play them).  There is less risk in this for the publishers (aside from their studios dying off as we've seen a lot this gen due to rising costs) compared to the console makers taking the risk.

Message 17 of 20 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2146 posts

Jan 6, 2013

also think of this maybe a benifit for us. 

People are forced to buy new games vs. used

developers get more $$ due to increased sales

chances price of new games might fall

i know its a long shot, but they might price cut to get even more sales as new games would have to be purchased.

i for one buy new games but only when they go on sale.

I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 18 of 20 (147 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Jan 6, 2013
Why would anybody be against just buying a game new..? If the developers have a sudden increase in revenue I imagine games prices would go down anyway.
The only downside I see is that backlog titles could be harder (impossible) to find a few years after release.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 19 of 20 (139 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29427 posts

Jan 6, 2013

EzraMajor wrote:
Why would anybody be against just buying a game new..? If the developers have a sudden increase in revenue I imagine games prices would go down anyway.
The only downside I see is that backlog titles could be harder (impossible) to find a few years after release.

There are those who are against buying a new game because they believe;

1. The video game industry is not a "for profit" business
  2. They love the IDEA that buying used is saving them money, when in reality it's the furthest thring from the truth.
  3. They don't understand that support has gone from zero to YEARS, and it takes money to pay all those people who maintain servers, write patches, and create downloads

There seems to be this weird complain in the gamer community. They want new and original games, yet they line up at midnight to buy Call of Duty and Madden, and then they complain these games aren't "original". Well who's the one buying the same game over and over, and why do you think the industry keeps doing it? Because you're BUYING THEM.

The other thing I always point out is that "buying used" doesn't necessarily save you money, and in fact can actually be COSTING you money. I recently bought Black Ops 2 at Target the day after Christmas for $40. No, I'm not making that up. The "pre-owned" copy from GameStop costs $54.99. That's a savings of $15. How are you "saving money" again? I know what some are saying, "Oh but I can sell my games to GameStop and buy new games, and that will save me money". Try again. If you bought Black Ops 2 new for $60, play it, and "trade it in", you'll get about $25 store credit, Note, that's not cash you can spend anywhere, but STORE CREDIT, you can only spend at GameStop. You still have lay out more money for a "new" game. So let's do the math;

$60 That you originally spent

+35

=$95

You've essnetially spent $95 on ONE game. Again, how are you saving money?

I don't think that game prices would go down, what I do think would happen is that if the business was more profitable you'd see the industry more willing to take chances, and give us different types of games.

Message 20 of 20 (119 Views)
0 Likes