Reply
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28991 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

While funny, using a show meant to stereotype smart people causes you to lose any and all credibility you might have had on this subject.

 

Calling them "athletes" may be a little odd. But considering gaming a sport is perfectly fine. You use sportsmanship right? Teamwork? Yes... Points? It seems the only difference is the physical aspect of it all, which some can't seem to get over.

 

The words sport, is not synonymous with physical activity.

 

Spoiler
oh, and professional gamers don't seem to be caught up in illigal activity on a monthly basis.

 


Despite the propensity of "gamers" to change the definition by repeating something enough, this is one is not negotiable;

 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

 

 

an athletic activity requiring Skill OR physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
 
And let's not say anything about "illeagal activity", because I'm sure that there's a lot of gamers out there using torrent sites to pirate games, music, movies, and other things.

 


You're right, it's not.

 

So, thanks for agreeing that "sport" is not inherently synonymous with phyiscal activity. 


Oh I notice you didn't bother to highlight the word ATHLETIC.

 

You can't redefine this to suit your own defintion. Video games are not a "sport". If you were to ask ten random people on the street if video games were a sport, they would look at you and say "What are you stupid?".


Eh, didn't notice it. But im glad we can use "general people" now, as you normally take the stance that most people are stupid. I suppose when their lack of education suits your needs you can get behind them huh? Smiley Tongue

 

Besides, an old definiton can't define something new. Professional gaming is a sport in every sense expcet physical activity. Definitons change as society changes. 

 

That's sort of like saying, website isn't a word because its not in a dictionary from before the internet. 


And "physical activity" is in EVERY DEFINITION of the word "sport". You can't change that, and saying that defintions change doesn't qualify it.

 

Here's the difference between redefining "sport" and the term website. A website didn't exist until about twenty years ago. Sports did. Penicillin was disovered in 1928, and it's now in the dictionary. We as a society didn't just change the word "paper" to mean penicillin. Words are ADDED to the English language, not changed because you want them to mean something different. You can't just start calling a screw driver a chair because want to change the definition.

 

Let's up the ante, if you were to ask someone like Michael Kay, David Stern, or Bob Costas, three very educated people if they thought video games were a sport, what do you think they'd say? Or the NCAA? Or Roger Goodell? Or the IOC for that matter? Or any scholar or journalist for tha matter? They would laugh you out of the room.

Message 51 of 58 (74 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Offline
13101 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 15, 2013
All these colors :\
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 52 of 58 (69 Views)
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28991 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Should? How is sitting on your **bleep** all day a sport? You just keep insulting athletes everywhere...and look at my other post

ya, I saw it. I never said it was correct to call them athletes.

 

The traditionalistic wall people can't get over is that sports have to be strenuous physical activity, because thats the only way people were ever really able to compete against each other on a large scale, or in an organized way with teams, when the word was defined.


Because that's the very defintion of a SPORT. You can't just come along and say "no it doesn't mean that, it means something else", when it's defined FOR OVER A MILLENIUM by the ENTIRE WORLD that this is what a sport is.

 

And quite frankly it's insulting to people like Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, and Peyton Manning that little Billy Sullivan in Des Moines who plays Call of Duty for eight hours a day, is considered by some people to be an "athlete".

Message 53 of 58 (68 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

While funny, using a show meant to stereotype smart people causes you to lose any and all credibility you might have had on this subject.

 

Calling them "athletes" may be a little odd. But considering gaming a sport is perfectly fine. You use sportsmanship right? Teamwork? Yes... Points? It seems the only difference is the physical aspect of it all, which some can't seem to get over.

 

The words sport, is not synonymous with physical activity.

 

Spoiler
oh, and professional gamers don't seem to be caught up in illigal activity on a monthly basis.

 


Despite the propensity of "gamers" to change the definition by repeating something enough, this is one is not negotiable;

 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

 

 

an athletic activity requiring Skill OR physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
 
And let's not say anything about "illeagal activity", because I'm sure that there's a lot of gamers out there using torrent sites to pirate games, music, movies, and other things.

 


You're right, it's not.

 

So, thanks for agreeing that "sport" is not inherently synonymous with phyiscal activity. 


Oh I notice you didn't bother to highlight the word ATHLETIC.

 

You can't redefine this to suit your own defintion. Video games are not a "sport". If you were to ask ten random people on the street if video games were a sport, they would look at you and say "What are you stupid?".


Eh, didn't notice it. But im glad we can use "general people" now, as you normally take the stance that most people are stupid. I suppose when their lack of education suits your needs you can get behind them huh? Smiley Tongue

 

Besides, an old definiton can't define something new. Professional gaming is a sport in every sense expcet physical activity. Definitons change as society changes. 

 

That's sort of like saying, website isn't a word because its not in a dictionary from before the internet. 


And "physical activity" is in EVERY DEFINITION of the word "sport". You can't change that, and saying that defintions change doesn't qualify it.

 

Here's the difference between redefining "sport" and the term website. A website didn't exist until about twenty years ago. Sports did. Penicillin was disovered in 1928, and it's now in the dictionary. We as a society didn't just change the word "paper" to mean penicillin. Words are ADDED to the English language, not changed because you want them to mean something different. You can just start calling a screw driver a chair because want to change the definition.

 

Let's up the ante, if you were to ask someone like Michael Kay, David Stern, or Bob Costas, three very educated people if they thought video games were a sport, what do you think they'd say? Or the NCAA? Or Roger Goodell? Or the IOC for that matter? Or any scholar or journalist for tha matter? They would laugh you out of the room.


Yes, definitions change. Not completely, but they are changed or modified. How does that not qualify it? 

 

And as far as asking highly educated people if video games are a sport. It depends on who you ask. If you ask someone with the pre-conceived notion that sports have to be large sweaty people chasing a ball of some kind, then no, they wouldn't agree. But someone who is familiar with the ins and outs of professional gaming, would easily agree.

 

I suppose they could just run on treadmills while they are playing to fulfill the need for physical activity, for the intense teamwork, communication, and practice to magically be dubbed worthy of the divine title of "sport" LOL...

 

 Like I said, athlete and sport, don't have to coincide. 

 

If physyical activity is as you say "the very definition of sport" Rolling around in my house is a sport?

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 54 of 58 (62 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Offline
13101 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 15, 2013
"Someone who knows the ins and outs of professional gaming would agree" Thats just biased.....
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 55 of 58 (52 Views)
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 15, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
"Someone who knows the ins and outs of professional gaming would agree" Thats just biased.....

No, asking someone who has no idea what goes into being a successful gaming team on a global level would be biased, when asking them in order to get a certain answer.

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 56 of 58 (50 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28991 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

While funny, using a show meant to stereotype smart people causes you to lose any and all credibility you might have had on this subject.

 

Calling them "athletes" may be a little odd. But considering gaming a sport is perfectly fine. You use sportsmanship right? Teamwork? Yes... Points? It seems the only difference is the physical aspect of it all, which some can't seem to get over.

 

The words sport, is not synonymous with physical activity.

 

Spoiler
oh, and professional gamers don't seem to be caught up in illigal activity on a monthly basis.

 


Despite the propensity of "gamers" to change the definition by repeating something enough, this is one is not negotiable;

 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

 

 

an athletic activity requiring Skill OR physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
 
And let's not say anything about "illeagal activity", because I'm sure that there's a lot of gamers out there using torrent sites to pirate games, music, movies, and other things.

 


You're right, it's not.

 

So, thanks for agreeing that "sport" is not inherently synonymous with phyiscal activity. 


Oh I notice you didn't bother to highlight the word ATHLETIC.

 

You can't redefine this to suit your own defintion. Video games are not a "sport". If you were to ask ten random people on the street if video games were a sport, they would look at you and say "What are you stupid?".


Eh, didn't notice it. But im glad we can use "general people" now, as you normally take the stance that most people are stupid. I suppose when their lack of education suits your needs you can get behind them huh? Smiley Tongue

 

Besides, an old definiton can't define something new. Professional gaming is a sport in every sense expcet physical activity. Definitons change as society changes. 

 

That's sort of like saying, website isn't a word because its not in a dictionary from before the internet. 


And "physical activity" is in EVERY DEFINITION of the word "sport". You can't change that, and saying that defintions change doesn't qualify it.

 

Here's the difference between redefining "sport" and the term website. A website didn't exist until about twenty years ago. Sports did. Penicillin was disovered in 1928, and it's now in the dictionary. We as a society didn't just change the word "paper" to mean penicillin. Words are ADDED to the English language, not changed because you want them to mean something different. You can just start calling a screw driver a chair because want to change the definition.

 

Let's up the ante, if you were to ask someone like Michael Kay, David Stern, or Bob Costas, three very educated people if they thought video games were a sport, what do you think they'd say? Or the NCAA? Or Roger Goodell? Or the IOC for that matter? Or any scholar or journalist for tha matter? They would laugh you out of the room.


Yes, definitions change. Not completely, but they are changed or modified. How does that not qualify it? 

 

And as far as asking highly educated people if video games are a sport. It depends on who you ask. If you ask someone with the pre-conceived notion that sports have to be large sweaty people chasing a ball of some kind, then no, they wouldn't agree. But someone who is familiar with the ins and outs of professional gaming, would easily agree.

 

I suppose they could just run on treadmills while they are playing to fulfill the need for physical activity, for the intense teamwork, communication, and practice to magically be dubbed worthy of the divine title of "sport" LOL...

 

 Like I said, athlete and sport, don't have to coincide. 

 

If physyical activity is as you say "the very definition of sport" Rolling around in my house is a sport?


It's a "preconceived notion" because that is how sports have been defined since ancient Greece. Just because video games come along and "gamers" want to believe it's a sport, doesn't mean it is. History is not on your side. And if the International Olympic Committtee isn't qualified to determine what is and isn't a sport, then certainly "gamers" have absolutely no business making that descision.

 

I know "gamers" want to feel they are important and relevant, but this doesn't do it. If video games are a "sport" then Yahtzee is sport. Checkers are a sport. Clue is a sport. Monopoly is a sport. Stratego is a sport. You have to include all of those as well. I don't think we are ever going to see backgammon in the Olympics.

Message 57 of 58 (48 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

It's the culture is all. "Gamers" are more relevant in south korea. I'm sure you already knew this because you're super smart, but more people watched the pro- StarCraft world tournaments South Korea, than watched the super-bowl in america.

 

As professional gaming is recognized as a sport, I don't really care. My only intention with this thread was the bring up the subject. I certainly won't tell people I play sports because I casually play battlefiled in my spare time.

 

I can see where you're coming from, but I guess my question is, why can't it be redefined?

 

Comparing a profesional League team to board games that are 90% luck is stupid and you know it.

 

The case for video games is that they are, for starters, popular competitions. They're competed in around the world more broadly than, say the non-Olympic sport American Football. And while they may not involve running fast, jumping high, or even that much sweating, the one-on-one virtual combat of Street Fighter or the simulated clash of futuristic armies in StarCraftrequire a dexterity with a fighting stick or mouse that certainly exceed the muscular dexterity needed for the non-Olympic sport of competitive eating but maybe, possibly as much as is needed for the Olympic sport of competitive shooting.

 

 

 Fighting game expert Seth Killian, formerly of Capcom and now at Sony, said: "It's easy to get sidetracked by semantic questions about what is or is not a sport, but compared against many, many existing events, fighting games are more competitive by a thousand times, more nuanced, more egalitarian, and a better overall reflection of mental and physical achievement."

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 58 of 58 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes