Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/24/2009
Online
17859 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 14, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
STOP TRYING TO AVOID THIS FIGHT SETZ.....I like a good LoL beatdown....

*sigh* the only thing they have in common is the "get team to point B from point A doing X in the process"

 

Using your proposed formula, almost every game is the same as company of heroes. Come on now.

Message 41 of 58 (65 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Online
11987 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 14, 2013
Awww to hell with it you're boring. Back on topic


The idea of gamers being athletes is ridiculous. Being an athlete is excelling in PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Pushing buttons should not be categorized as that....Thats an insult to real athletes
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 42 of 58 (60 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
26125 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 14, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

While funny, using a show meant to stereotype smart people causes you to lose any and all credibility you might have had on this subject.

 

Calling them "athletes" may be a little odd. But considering gaming a sport is perfectly fine. You use sportsmanship right? Teamwork? Yes... Points? It seems the only difference is the physical aspect of it all, which some can't seem to get over.

 

The words sport, is not synonymous with physical activity.

 

Spoiler
oh, and professional gamers don't seem to be caught up in illigal activity on a monthly basis.

 


Despite the propensity of "gamers" to change the definition by repeating something enough, this is one is not negotiable;

 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

 

 

an athletic activity requiring Skill OR physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
 
And let's not say anything about "illeagal activity", because I'm sure that there's a lot of gamers out there using torrent sites to pirate games, music, movies, and other things.

 


You're right, it's not.

 

So, thanks for agreeing that "sport" is not inherently synonymous with phyiscal activity. 


Oh I notice you didn't bother to highlight the word ATHLETIC.

 

You can't redefine this to suit your own defintion. Video games are not a "sport". If you were to ask ten random people on the street if video games were a sport, they would look at you and say "What are you stupid?".

Message 43 of 58 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/24/2009
Online
17859 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 14, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Awww to hell with it you're boring. Back on topic


The idea of gamers being athletes is ridiculous. Being an athlete is excelling in PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Pushing buttons should not be categorized as that....Thats an insult to real athletes

Countering your ridiculous premise with logic may be boring, but I'n not going go back and forth on an empty debate.

 

Anyway, no, pro-gamers are not athletes, but it is a sport. So, call them what you will. But it takes immense dedication to be that good, and there's no 2 ways around it.

Message 44 of 58 (55 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/24/2009
Online
17859 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

While funny, using a show meant to stereotype smart people causes you to lose any and all credibility you might have had on this subject.

 

Calling them "athletes" may be a little odd. But considering gaming a sport is perfectly fine. You use sportsmanship right? Teamwork? Yes... Points? It seems the only difference is the physical aspect of it all, which some can't seem to get over.

 

The words sport, is not synonymous with physical activity.

 

Spoiler
oh, and professional gamers don't seem to be caught up in illigal activity on a monthly basis.

 


Despite the propensity of "gamers" to change the definition by repeating something enough, this is one is not negotiable;

 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

 

 

an athletic activity requiring Skill OR physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
 
And let's not say anything about "illeagal activity", because I'm sure that there's a lot of gamers out there using torrent sites to pirate games, music, movies, and other things.

 


You're right, it's not.

 

So, thanks for agreeing that "sport" is not inherently synonymous with phyiscal activity. 


Oh I notice you didn't bother to highlight the word ATHLETIC.

 

You can't redefine this to suit your own defintion. Video games are not a "sport". If you were to ask ten random people on the street if video games were a sport, they would look at you and say "What are you stupid?".


Eh, didn't notice it. But im glad we can use "general people" now, as you normally take the stance that most people are stupid. I suppose when their lack of education suits your needs you can get behind them huh? :smileytongue:

 

Besides, an old definiton can't define something new. Professional gaming is a sport in every sense expcet physical activity. Definitons change as society changes. 

 

That's sort of like saying, website isn't a word because its not in a dictionary from before the internet. 

Message 45 of 58 (50 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Online
11987 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Awww to hell with it you're boring. Back on topic


The idea of gamers being athletes is ridiculous. Being an athlete is excelling in PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Pushing buttons should not be categorized as that....Thats an insult to real athletes

Countering your ridiculous premise with logic may be boring, but I'n not going go back and forth on an empty debate.

 

Anyway, no, pro-gamers are not athletes, but it is a sport. So, call them what you will. But it takes immense dedication to be that good, and there's no 2 ways around it.


I consider someone who plays a sport an athlete sooooo.....

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 46 of 58 (40 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Online
11987 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 15, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Awww to hell with it you're boring. Back on topic


The idea of gamers being athletes is ridiculous. Being an athlete is excelling in PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Pushing buttons should not be categorized as that....Thats an insult to real athletes

Countering your ridiculous premise with logic may be boring, but I'n not going go back and forth on an empty debate.

 

Anyway, no, pro-gamers are not athletes, but it is a sport. So, call them what you will. But it takes immense dedication to be that good, and there's no 2 ways around it.


And I was right about calling them athletes https://twitter.com/didyouknowgamin/status/356522738342580225/photo/1

 

AND DON'T YOU INSULT MY LOGIC, I'M ALREADY FIGHTING BRIT DON'T MAKE ME FIGHT YOU TOO 

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 47 of 58 (38 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/24/2009
Online
17859 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

what you consider an athlete isn't relevant. I might consider an elephant to be a reptile, doesn't mean i'm right.

 

The entire premise of this thread was that professional gaming should, and is, considered a sport. 

 

Sorry, I'm not intending to insult your logic, but if you come to the conclusion that it's terribly flawed by reading my replies, well, I can't really help that.

Message 48 of 58 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Online
11987 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 15, 2013
Should? How is sitting on your **bleep** all day a sport? You just keep insulting athletes everywhere...and look at my other post
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 49 of 58 (31 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/24/2009
Online
17859 posts
 

Re: I play sports (apparently)

Jul 15, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Should? How is sitting on your **bleep** all day a sport? You just keep insulting athletes everywhere...and look at my other post

ya, I saw it. I never said it was correct to call them athletes.

 

The traditionalistic wall people can't get over is that sports have to be strenuous physical activity, because thats the only way people were ever really able to compete against each other on a large scale, or in an organized way with teams, when the word was defined.

Message 50 of 58 (29 Views)
Reply
0 Likes