Here are the sales for the games:

1986 The Legend Of Zelda NES 1.69m
1987 Adventure Of Link NES 1.61m
1991 Link To The Past SNES 1.16m
1998 Ocarina Of Time N64 1.46m
2000 Majoras Mask N64 0.74m
2002 Wind Waker GC 0.86m
2006 Twilight Princess Wii 0.60m

Yikes. Those are very, very poor sales when you consider how well Zelda sells in America and Europe.

When you compare it to stuff like Kirby...Mario...Pokemon...Final Fantasy and such they're very bad sales.

Twilight Princess will probably sell 1 million units and then just stop selling.
Message 1 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13470 posts

Re: I never realized how poorly Zelda sold in Japan

Jan 22, 2007

NintendoTogepi wrote:
Here are the sales for the games:

1986 The Legend Of Zelda NES 1.69m
1987 Adventure Of Link NES 1.61m
1991 Link To The Past SNES 1.16m
1998 Ocarina Of Time N64 1.46m
2000 Majoras Mask N64 0.74m
2002 Wind Waker GC 0.86m
2006 Twilight Princess Wii 0.60m

Yikes. Those are very, very poor sales when you consider how well Zelda sells in America and Europe.

When you compare it to stuff like Kirby...Mario...Pokemon...Final Fantasy and such they're very bad sales.

Twilight Princess will probably sell 1 million units and then just stop selling.

Gears of War has sold over 3 million and it is still selling:smileywink:

Message Edited by SocomMaster11 on 01-22-2007 01:39 PM

Message 2 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Jan 22, 2007
that is shocking!!! i thought people loved zelda!!! but if pokemon does well in japan, you can see why kirby and mario does too
Message 3 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Jan 22, 2007
This is a culture so vastly different from our own that games about horse racing BETTING sells and FPS do not.  They are almost unprofitable.  Contemplate that.  It's a lot different and that's fine.  Ther'ell be lots of games with Link so I don't think it'll matter.  It'll take about three BAD Zelda games in a row and then four compilations along with a revamped release that then blows before people start to realize that Zelda sucks too much to bother with.  That won't happen.  Not like with Sonic. 
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 4 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15052 posts

Jan 22, 2007

Vedel Minashigo wrote:
This is a culture so vastly different from our own that games about horse racing BETTING sells and FPS do not.  They are almost unprofitable.  Contemplate that.  It's a lot different and that's fine.  Ther'ell be lots of games with Link so I don't think it'll matter.  It'll take about three BAD Zelda games in a row and then four compilations along with a revamped release that then blows before people start to realize that Zelda sucks too much to bother with.  That won't happen.  Not like with Sonic. 

Probably because they don't want to bother playing countless FPSs that are all the same.
Tired of run of the mill Sega Forums? Join Sonic Blast with lots of discussion about Sega and Video Games.(Click the pics)

Message 5 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Jan 22, 2007

Tiz a cool handle wrote:

Vedel Minashigo wrote:

Probably because they don't want to bother playing countless FPSs that are all the same.

OOOOHHHH!!  Sick burn.  Sick burn indeed.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 6 of 6 (7 Views)
0 Likes