Jan 26 2007
By: vc_overclocked Treasure Hunter 7820 posts

I despise malware

9 replies 3 views Edited Jan 26, 2007
Sometimes I wonder if Norton makes these viruses just to keep their software in demand. I mean really, the whole hacking community is trying like crazy to get THEIR OWN PSPs to run homebrew and yet they can't even keep their computers safe from some internet jack?

I know, I know, part of the reason why everybody attacks Windows is because it's such a wide-spread OS, but that ain't the only reason. Microsoft just doesn't have very good software code. I mean, the Xbox 360 and the Zune are both amazing little pieces of equipment that work flawlessly, but XP, Vista and every OS before it has just been TERRIBLE.

I don't like distributing blame but I think they deserve it. By "they", I mean
  • Microsoft, for making such a terrible operating system with features such as "Remote Desktop", which is about as defensive as a sign on your butt reading "KICK ME"
  • Symantec. You have two choices; virus crash the system or Norton crash the system. Mostly both.
  • Us. Who opens e-mail attachment .exe files from an unknown sender these days?!?! If you're operating a computer, you should know better!
Linux is such a better codebase than Windows...and OS X is even better for those who aren't ultra-nerds.

Who's with me?
Formerly "Overclocked Cellist"
Message 1 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4212 posts

Re: I despise malware

Jan 26, 2007
you stole my conspiracy theory, which i posted in other thread minutes ago  

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:
yeah i got the same e-mail a week ago, i don't get why people make viruses anyways   Maybe the antivirus companies are the ones actually releasing the virus, so we will buy their product ?!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 2 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3675 posts

Jan 26, 2007
yeah strange co-incidence huh.

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:
yeah i got the same e-mail a week ago, i don't get why people make viruses anyways   Maybe the antivirus companies are the ones actually releasing the virus, so we will buy their product ?!

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7820 posts

Jan 26, 2007

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:

Conspiracy theory, eh?

WELL KEPT SECRET THAT IS! I hate to tell you, but I've had that thought since 2000.

no seriously, I just thought of this when I saw that thread, but I didn't steal your idea . I hadn't read your post before posting this thread.

Message Edited by Overclocked Cellist on 01-26-2007 03:01 AM
Formerly "Overclocked Cellist"
Message 4 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3440 posts

Jan 26, 2007
hmmm, sounds like a movie-like grand scheme to control the masses. Scary part is: it could easily be true.
Then again, well, actually nevermind.
Message 5 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3675 posts

Jan 26, 2007
i always wondered where viruses came from. i figured there were just some **bleep**s out there who did it for kicks.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4212 posts

Jan 26, 2007

Overclocked Cellist wrote:

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:

KaMeLeOn_ wrote:

Conspiracy theory, eh?

WELL KEPT SECRET THAT IS! I hate to tell you, but I've had that thought since 2000.

no seriously, I just thought of this when I saw that thread, but I didn't steal your idea . I hadn't read your post before posting this thread.

Message Edited by Overclocked Cellist on 01-26-2007 03:01 AM

well in that case...

Great minds think alike thumbup

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 7 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3440 posts

Jan 26, 2007
Overclocked_Kameleon?

EarthboundSwitch
Then again, well, actually nevermind.
Message 8 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1973 posts

Jan 26, 2007
I think the reason why people make malware/trojans ect., is to make money.  Most browser hijackers and adware type stuff are just trying to get hits on their site to increase ad revenue.   Some of them are designed to collect information so they can steel your identity and account numbers.   Then there are a few sadistic people who do it just because they can.  But I would say the biggest reason is money.
Message 9 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3675 posts

Jan 26, 2007
!niceSmiley Very Happy

switch_ wrote:
Overclocked_Kameleon?

EarthboundSwitch

Photobucket