Jan 05 2007
By: TheNewJackyl~ Fender Bender 3404 posts

I always get picked on for my old PC whenever its brought...

23 replies 6 views Edited Jan 5, 2007
I always get picked on for my old PC whenever its brought up.  Its a Pentium 2 266MHz w/ MMX.  A DOG.

For $25 my friend is willing to sell me a motherboard, with a processor, 128-MB Ram and built in ethernet.  I have a ATX Power supply for it, and maybe a tower.  I know I will need a new video card, but I have everything else, even if it is a little outdated.

Heres the motherboard: ECS K7S5A SiS735

I'm not looking for a gaming machine.  I just want something that will compress my avi's faster, and playing streaming video correctly.

Do you think I should invest in this, or save my money?
Message 1 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18884 posts

Re: I always get picked on for my old PC whenever its brought...

Jan 5, 2007
lol, that was my first motherboard Anyway, it's certainly better than what you have and it's cheap. Should be good enough till you can save up for something better.
Message 2 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9199 posts

Jan 5, 2007
dude, you should throw a rock at your pc
Message 3 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3404 posts

Jan 5, 2007

coreno wrote:
lol, that was my first motherboard Anyway, it's certainly better than what you have and it's cheap. Should be good enough till you can save up for something better.

Did it have any room for overclocking?  Jumper settings wise?
Message 4 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7820 posts

Jan 5, 2007
$25? Well, considering you can hardly get anything for $25 that is actually complete, I'd say go for it if it's fast enough for you.

The next step up would be a low-end custom system that you could probably build for $200 or less.

If I were you, I'd get that $25 computer to hold you over until you can get something to compress videos a whole lot faster; Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, that kind of thing. That would be for around $400 if you already have the case, power supply and operating system.

btw don't be sad...I had a computer with a 90MHz processor and 16MB of RAM for a really long time (until like 2001 or so). Worked great for word processing and...well, that's about it. For some reason, the sound card never worked right if I had a 56K modem installed...weird. Anyway, I ditched it for a beige eMachine that featured a 400MHz Celeron processor, 64MB RAM (totally upgraded to 128MB) and a 4GB HDD, which I kept until recently, when I built a system with a Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz, 1GB (soon to be more!) DDR2 RAM, 250GB HDD and a 7600GT graphics card.

Amazing how much faster things get over time and yet they still do the same things .
Formerly "Overclocked Cellist"
Message 5 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18884 posts

Jan 5, 2007

TheNewJackyl wrote:

coreno wrote:

Did it have any room for overclocking? Jumper settings wise?

No, not really overclockable.
Message 6 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7820 posts

Jan 5, 2007

coreno wrote:

TheNewJackyl wrote:

coreno wrote:

I don't think any of the old boards were especially overclockable. But I could be wrong; I wasn't as much of a computer nerd then as I am now.

Message Edited by Overclocked Cellist on 01-05-2007 03:10 AM
Formerly "Overclocked Cellist"
Message 7 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3404 posts

Jan 5, 2007

coreno wrote:

TheNewJackyl wrote:

coreno wrote:

Smiley Sad  Well, its definitely a step forward.  I just can't take this old PC.

Thanks for the info/opinions guys.
Message 8 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3404 posts

Jan 5, 2007

Overclocked Cellist wrote:

coreno wrote:

TheNewJackyl wrote:

coreno wrote:

I don't think any of the old boards were especially overclockable. But I could be wrong; I wasn't as much of a computer nerd then as I am now.

My old motherboard is a MicroStar MS-6117.  I could clock the FSB by 3 different speeds by jumpers, and another set of jumpers lets me choose the MHz.  I;m always playing with them.  But this thing is really old. 

Message 9 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18884 posts

Jan 5, 2007

TheNewJackyl wrote:

coreno wrote:

TheNewJackyl wrote:

coreno wrote:

Well, its definitely a step forward. I just can't take this old PC.
Thanks for the info/opinions guys.

Well... I remember OCing on it... but I don't remember if it was just my video card, or if i got the RAM to OC too... but w/e... it works.
Message 10 of 24 (6 Views)
0 Likes