0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28838 posts

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

The following information is taken from a powerpoint by my college professor, a university Dean to be exact:

1800 - World human population reaches
1 billion

1927 - World human population reached
2 billion

1960 - World human population reached
3 billion

1974 - World human population reached
4 billion

1987 - World human population reached
5 billion

1999 - World human population reached
6 billion

2011 - World human population reached the
7 billion

Does anyone see a pattern n the more recent years?

We also didn't have things like antibiotics, and people dropped dead working in a shipyard at the age of forty five, from stepping on rusty nails, and apendacitis.  There also weren't things like crop rotation in order to make sure that fields weren't overfarmed. It's very "gamer" to just throw out a bunch of stats with absolutely no context and say "HA!! THIS PROVES IT!!", however you need to do a little more. 

Besides, we all know the apes are gonna rise and wipe us out. 

The powerpoint was about sustainability and it included things like human developments and advances. I just posted the population portions from the timeline in the powerpoint. But now, it seems as if the world population increases by 1 billion every 12 years or so. I'm a gamer, but I read too.  Smiley Very Happy

You may know how to "read" but you still fell into the gamer trap of presenting facts in absolutely no context, throwing them out there, and sayihng "Look!! It's this way and it can't be anyway else!". You didn't mention anything about advances in technology, medicine, how resources are used, effects of war, famine, migration. Just throwing out a series of numbers that say the the population is increasing only tells you that the population is increasing. 

Message 32 of 50 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Apr 12, 2014

bob-maul wrote:
Population stats are not absolute at all. Taking into account the tankard of living is necessary. Having 20 billion people is much easier of they do not waste resources like current 1st world nations. If we all lived poor little lives, the earth could sustain more. A big issue is that citizens in china and India are demanding better lives. Eventually, everybody will want to live like someone in the Unites States. A current example in China- cars. More and more Chinese want cars and buy them. This is a seventh of our population that wants to live like US citizens- which is roughly a fifth of their population.

This discussion was actually related to the powerpoint that I got the information from, how ironic. This introduces a conflict of who deserves what and how much. Are Americans willing to consume less resources so people can live better lives? No, if they were, we wouldn't have problems. We can't force people in China and India to remain in their current states as well. Who is to decide who should live the better life? And if this continues, population will be a major factor on how long humans have left. The information I posted showed a pattern that the world population grows about 1 billion every 12 years or so. How much population we can we sustain for Earth if no changes occur?

Message 33 of 50 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Apr 12, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The powerpoint was about sustainability and it included things like human developments and advances. I just posted the population portions from the timeline in the powerpoint. But now, it seems as if the world population increases by 1 billion every 12 years or so. I'm a gamer, but I read too.  Smiley Very Happy

You may know how to "read" but you still fell into the gamer trap of presenting facts in absolutely no context, throwing them out there, and sayihng "Look!! It's this way and it can't be anyway else!". You didn't mention anything about advances in technology, medicine, how resources are used, effects of war, famine, migration. Just throwing out a series of numbers that say the the population is increasing only tells you that the population is increasing. 

That was the point, to say that population is increasing.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 34 of 50 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Apr 12, 2014
@ossie That is an issue. Who says what will be the one with the best economy and military. You won't see Rwandans making a lot of money and being given access to good resources. The Chinese? Probably. India? Might take a while

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 35 of 50 (92 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28838 posts

Apr 12, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

And that was my point, that is the ONLY thing you're saying. Just throwing it out there and saying "See!! That's it!! No more discussion, and no one can say anything else", is not a debate. Especially since you've presented absolutely no other relevant data to give those numbers CONTEXT. That's what I mean when it's a "gamer" argument. Throwing your numbers out and then walking away means you DON'T HAVE a coherent argument. 

Message 36 of 50 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Apr 12, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

And that was my point, that is the ONLY thing you're saying. Just throwing it out there and saying "See!! That's it!! No more discussion, and no one can say anything else", is not a debate. Especially since you've presented absolutely no other relevant data to give those numbers CONTEXT. That's what I mean when it's a "gamer" argument. Throwing your numbers out and then walking away means you DON'T HAVE a coherent argument. 

Just because I throw this out doesn't mean that people can't see it and act on it differently.

CaptainAlbator wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Just because I throw this out doesn't mean that people can't see it differently. And I wasn't trying to start an arguement in the first place, just wanted to say something.  

Message 37 of 50 (82 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 13, 2014

Guinea pigs will take over the world

Message 38 of 50 (78 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30942 posts

Apr 13, 2014

A deadly, mutated form of herpes that came from Miley Cyus...........

Or Super AIDS

Message 39 of 50 (78 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Apr 13, 2014

eagles1990 wrote:

A deadly, mutated form of herpes that came from Miley Cyus...........

Or Super AIDS

...Also from Smiley Virus

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 40 of 50 (73 Views)
0 Likes