Reply
Wastelander
Registered: 01/07/2009
Offline
657 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014

bob-maul wrote:
@zorillo You cannot have evil without that being existing in the first place, so you are kinda stuck.

The rest is weak rhetoric. Keep to the topic and don't make this a religious debate.

I just told how we are going to go extinct, how is this off topic? I'm not making any sort debate here.

Message 21 of 50 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 02/06/2012
Offline
10644 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014
I am leaning towards the Earth's loss of magnetic stability which will cause gravity to reverse and basically fling every single particle here into outer space, basically vaporizing everything living.

Because lets face it, if war, scarce resources, diseases, and down right utter stupidity of mankind has not killed us yet then its not going to.
Message 22 of 50 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
Registered: 12/06/2011
Offline
20174 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014
  1. Sun expansion/death
  2. Nuclear war
  3. Meteor
  4. Resources completely depleted.

 

Besides the first one, which is a guaranteed end, the others may have life find a way, as it always does. Until the first thing occurs, you'll never know.

Message 23 of 50 (113 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/03/2013
Offline
3124 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014
I dont know about you but my farts are pretty deadly...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 24 of 50 (102 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13569 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014

absa007 wrote:
I dont know about you but my farts are pretty deadly...

Of course you would say this Absa.  Smiley Very Happy

 

But, cows are much more deadly than yours. Their gas produces methane, that continues the problem of global warming. That is is a major factor on how long humanity can live, if the climate still allows us to live.

Message 25 of 50 (91 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/27/2008
Offline
3450 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014

Zorrillo90 wrote:

tollett wrote:

It won't be any one thing, but a combination of several.  Our population is facing a tipping point in the near future as growth outpaces available resources.  This will lead to shortages of food, medicine, and potable water. 

Our climate is changing leading to more natural disaters and melting polar ice caps. 

Over-use of anitbiotics are leading to stronger strains of bacteria, add to that the risk of release of any number of biological warfare agents developed by governments around the world. New viruses are popping up at a record pace.  A global pandemic is inevitable.

Terrorists and rogue nations have the technology to deploy an EMP attack that would cripple the U.S. in the blink of an eye leading to population loss of 50% or greater.  All it would take is a handful of SCUD missiles launched from cargo ships armed with nuclear warheads detonated at altitude over the U.S.  I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

And you have to also consider the possibility of asteroid impact, solar flare, and volcanic activity.


That's not true, earth can support 3X or 4X, the current population maybe more depending on on how innovation goes but this specie is too **bleep**ed up already so whatever.


I'll play along and say the Earth CAN support 3 or 4 times the current population, which I highly doubt.  The world population doubles every 61 years, putting us at 2x the current population in 2075 and 3x in 2105.  We would reach 4x the current population in 2136. Assuming an average life expectancy of 70, that could be within the lifespan of my great-granchildren.  122 years seems like a long time, but when you put it in generational terms, it's really not that long.  If you put it in geological terms, it's a blink of an eye.



Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Message 26 of 50 (89 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13569 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014

The following information is taken from a powerpoint by my college professor, a university Dean to be exact:

 

1800 - World human population reaches
1 billion

 

1927 - World human population reached
2 billion

 

1960 - World human population reached
3 billion

 

1974 - World human population reached
4 billion

 

1987 - World human population reached
5 billion

 

1999 - World human population reached
6 billion

 

2011 - World human population reached the
7 billion

 

 

Does anyone see a pattern n the more recent years?

Message 27 of 50 (82 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28799 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

The following information is taken from a powerpoint by my college professor, a university Dean to be exact:

 

1800 - World human population reaches
1 billion

 

1927 - World human population reached
2 billion

 

1960 - World human population reached
3 billion

 

1974 - World human population reached
4 billion

 

1987 - World human population reached
5 billion

 

1999 - World human population reached
6 billion

 

2011 - World human population reached the
7 billion

 

 

Does anyone see a pattern n the more recent years?


We also didn't have things like antibiotics, and people dropped dead working in a shipyard at the age of forty five, from stepping on rusty nails, and apendacitis.  There also weren't things like crop rotation in order to make sure that fields weren't overfarmed. It's very "gamer" to just throw out a bunch of stats with absolutely no context and say "HA!! THIS PROVES IT!!", however you need to do a little more. 

 

Besides, we all know the apes are gonna rise and wipe us out. 

 

Message 28 of 50 (79 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13569 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

[ Edited ]
Apr 12, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

The following information is taken from a powerpoint by my college professor, a university Dean to be exact:

 

1800 - World human population reaches
1 billion

 

1927 - World human population reached
2 billion

 

1960 - World human population reached
3 billion

 

1974 - World human population reached
4 billion

 

1987 - World human population reached
5 billion

 

1999 - World human population reached
6 billion

 

2011 - World human population reached the
7 billion

 

 

Does anyone see a pattern n the more recent years?


We also didn't have things like antibiotics, and people dropped dead working in a shipyard at the age of forty five, from stepping on rusty nails, and apendacitis.  There also weren't things like crop rotation in order to make sure that fields weren't overfarmed. It's very "gamer" to just throw out a bunch of stats with absolutely no context and say "HA!! THIS PROVES IT!!", however you need to do a little more. 

 

Besides, we all know the apes are gonna rise and wipe us out. 

 


The powerpoint was about sustainability and it included things like human developments and advances. I just posted the population portions from the timeline in the powerpoint. But now, it seems as if the world population increases by 1 billion every 12 years or so. I'm a gamer, but I read too.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 29 of 50 (74 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14608 posts
 

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 12, 2014
Population stats are not absolute at all. Taking into account the tankard of living is necessary. Having 20 billion people is much easier of they do not waste resources like current 1st world nations. If we all lived poor little lives, the earth could sustain more. A big issue is that citizens in china and India are demanding better lives. Eventually, everybody will want to live like someone in the Unites States. A current example in China- cars. More and more Chinese want cars and buy them. This is a seventh of our population that wants to live like US citizens- which is roughly a fifth of their population.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 30 of 50 (69 Views)
Reply
0 Likes