Fender Bender
3450 posts

Re: How will humanity die off?

Apr 13, 2014

A higher standard of living and longer life expectancy only exacerbates the overpopulation issue as more resources are required to sustain that standard for more people who are living longer.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Message 41 of 50 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Apr 13, 2014

eagles1990 wrote:

A deadly, mutated form of herpes that came from Miley Cyus...........

Or Super AIDS

only if aids was airborne

KZMProductionsGT
Message 42 of 50 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2122 posts

Apr 13, 2014

bob-maul wroteSmiley Surprisedurc
My question to all of you is this: What will kill off our species? 

ha!

Message 43 of 50 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Apr 13, 2014

tollett wrote:

Zorrillo90 wrote:

tollett wrote:

It won't be any one thing, but a combination of several.  Our population is facing a tipping point in the near future as growth outpaces available resources.  This will lead to shortages of food, medicine, and potable water. 

Our climate is changing leading to more natural disaters and melting polar ice caps. 

Over-use of anitbiotics are leading to stronger strains of bacteria, add to that the risk of release of any number of biological warfare agents developed by governments around the world. New viruses are popping up at a record pace.  A global pandemic is inevitable.

Terrorists and rogue nations have the technology to deploy an EMP attack that would cripple the U.S. in the blink of an eye leading to population loss of 50% or greater.  All it would take is a handful of SCUD missiles launched from cargo ships armed with nuclear warheads detonated at altitude over the U.S.  I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

And you have to also consider the possibility of asteroid impact, solar flare, and volcanic activity.

That's not true, earth can support 3X or 4X, the current population maybe more depending on on how innovation goes but this specie is too **bleep**ed up already so whatever.

I'll play along and say the Earth CAN support 3 or 4 times the current population, which I highly doubt.  The world population doubles every 61 years, putting us at 2x the current population in 2075 and 3x in 2105.  We would reach 4x the current population in 2136. Assuming an average life expectancy of 70, that could be within the lifespan of my great-granchildren.  122 years seems like a long time, but when you put it in generational terms, it's really not that long.  If you put it in geological terms, it's a blink of an eye.

well. . . we have condoms now, unlike before woman care more about money than giving birth to a dozen of kids, birth and death ratio is going to balance out before even before we get to 3X the current population, we'll go japanese my friend then sooner or later kill each other because that's what we do best and if you think we are limited to nuclear weapons then you'd better think again.

Message 44 of 50 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Apr 13, 2014

Zorrillo90 wrote:

well. . . we have condoms now, unlike before woman care more about money than giving birth to a dozen of kids, birth and death ratio is going to balance out before even before we get to 3X the current population, we'll go japanese my friend then sooner or later kill each other because that's what we do best and if you think we are limited to nuclear weapons then you'd better think again.

It's like, all your thoughts were having a fight to see which ones got to come out... then you called it a 40 way tie and let them all go.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 45 of 50 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Apr 13, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

Zorrillo90 wrote:

It's like, all your thoughts were having a fight to see which ones got to come out... then you called it a 40 way tie and let them all go.

I kinda undestood your post.

Message 46 of 50 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3627 posts

Apr 13, 2014

Technology will be the doom of us all.

Message 47 of 50 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4056 posts

Apr 13, 2014

eagles1990 wrote:

A deadly, mutated form of herpes that came from Miley Cyus...........

Or Super AIDS

I was going to say space cooties originally contracted by Captain Kirk from green alien women, but after your post, mine just sounds silly. Smiley Sad

download.jpg

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 48 of 50 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7120 posts

Apr 13, 2014

Comment Picture

Message 49 of 50 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Apr 14, 2014

aVeRsioN_X wrote:

Technology will be the doom of us all.

Ted Kaczynski had a similar view.

Not to say it's wrong or right. It's just one of those things. Could he (and you I guess) be right and humanity simply lacks the wisdom to handle advanced technology? It's a sad thought and there are times when it seems like it might have merit.

Would we all be better off just sticking to a hunter/gatherer nomadic lifestyle? I don't think so, I think there is hope for us being able to handle our technology in a (somewhat) responsible manner if we can get through a few things.

IMO on the subject though, the complete extinction of humanity will most likely be due to some natural cataclismic event. I'm sure we are far off though from such a thing (maybe, who knows).

I love JRPGs, but hate anime... Is that legal?
Message 50 of 50 (41 Views)
0 Likes